Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating Indian Food and staying Primal page 2

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well I would always go with the currys because they're basically meat simmered in coconut milk
    Palak Paneer is spinach with chunks of goat cheese
    Tandoori chicken!!
    Though most options are primal bombs: Ladu (dessert made from sugar,sugar and more sugar), Daal (lentil soup), Pokorah (batter fried vegetables), naan (white flour flatbread), Idli (rice patty), puri (fried bread)

Balance is online now Senior Member
    I absolutely love Indian food. And I know this sounds overly picky but a lot of restaurants now will use vegetable oil/soybean oil instead of Ghee (which is traditionally the go to cooking fat for Indian food) because of the fear of saturated fat. So I end up trying to make it home myself. Luckily I was able to find a few places that use ghee still but they are a bit further to drive to than my local spots.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I would call around and speak to specific restaurants. I looove Indian, two I go to say they use ghee as fat and when I went there they knew the ingredients in their dishes very well and were confident in their answers. They did think it funny that we were eating the delish sauces with a spoon and virtually licking the plate...... ) I had no issues after at all and I am really really sensitive. I like rice, but found eating the dishes without really neat as the flavours were really intense.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanda View Post
    No, I was talking about when eating at an Indian restaurant. I don't go very often as it's far away, maybe 4 - 6 times a year, honestly.
    Four to six times a year - take your best shot, enjoy, don't sweat it.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

peril is offline Senior Member
    Indian food cooked in the traditional way is pretty primal - ghee for fat and no thickeners in the sauce. Unfortunately, you can't count on restaurants to do that. Get a good Indian cookbook and buy the spices and you won't look back. I recommend Indian Cookery for Pleasure by Charmaine Solomon. You should be able to get it online. My copy is 30 years old and is still my most frequently used cookbook. If you want other Asian food, get her Complete Asian Cookbook - truly a compendium of authenticity
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    If I want to stay primal-ish when eating out (a bunch of my friends love indian food), I choose a marinated, grilled meat - like chicken shashlik.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I absolutely love Indian food. And I know this sounds overly picky but a lot of restaurants now will use vegetable oil/soybean oil instead of Ghee (which is traditionally the go to cooking fat for Indian food) because of the fear of saturated fat.
    am quite sure they use soy oil because it's cheaper.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanda View Post
    I could learn to make it myself, is it pretty complicated?
    It's easy. Go to an Asian grocery store. They will have all these spice pastes in jars or small plastic packages. They will usually have soybean oil as an ingredient but they are also quite concentrated and you'll be using about a teaspoon of soybean oil for a dinner of 4 servings or more, so don't sweat it. Follow the instructions on the label. It's usually something like cooking some meat and vegetables in a pan, adding ghee and spice paste or coconut milk and spice paste and simmering for a little while. We had butter chicken last night made at home with lots of ghee. Very delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Four to six times a year - take your best shot, enjoy, don't sweat it.
    ^ This
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

miata is offline Senior Member
    I really like India food and have been doing a bunch of Thai as well.

One grey area for me is lentils. I know that they are evil legumes. They are a decent, low cost protein source and with proper soaking and fermentation I think they work fine -- at least with me. I especially love dosas made from a fermented rice and lentil batter.

What do others think about properly prepared lentils?

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think there are a lot worse things you can eat than lentils. Soaked overnight, throw out the soak water, cook until mush, is probably pretty safe.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast