Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Greger's YouTube Series page

curiouscavegirl is offline Junior Member

Dr. Greger's YouTube Series

Primal Fuel
    Hi All. Long time lurker though I've just gotten the nerve to post. I have a couple of friends that have recently gone Vegan and are throwing Dr. Greger's research at me as proof that Primal is unhealthy though I don't believe it for a second. Does anyone here know of any links or threads that debunk his claims?

Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death - YouTube

Thanks for your help!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I just watched a couple minutes of it. There's a lot of other research out there such as "The Great Cholesterol Con" which I haven't read but see recommended around here.

The one thing at the beginning that caught my attention was something about how many people with normal cholesterol levels have heart attacks. He uses this as evidence that the "normal" level is too high. The other way to look at it is that cholesterol levels aren't linked to heart attacks quite as closely as previous research would indicate.

If you want to research this, do it because you want to become educated, but don't do it to "win" arguments. You'll typically do far better to deflect the arguments instead of fighting them. Something like, "I can't argue with that, but I don't want B12 shots or supplements to maintain health." or even, "I'm glad it works for you. Thank you for your concern." Don't engage with this, unless you are already educated enough to know how to stand your ground and don't mind angering these friends or becoming angry, because someone will soon be offended.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Lots of smoke and mirror statistics. Lack of specifics around and of the "animal diet" items he mentions. He seems to be preaching to the choir in the video and they are eating it up.
    Last edited by miata; 03-26-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Sure, Mark has a list of sites. Also on you tube search Ancestral Health and Weston A Price. There are many others as well as podcasts.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been reading this site for over a year and think I have a good understanding of what Primal means to me though trying to explain it when challenged has been really frustrating.

Timthetaco Guest
    I've seen that presentation before, and it's pretty convincing. I think you should ditch paleo and become a vegan.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I've seen that presentation before, and it's pretty convincing. I think you should ditch paleo and become a vegan.
    Wow, this is exactly the reason I had never posted before. Just becaue I may not be able to articulate the knowledge I have gained when challenged about my choice of diet does not mean I am uneducated or uncommitted. Your comment is unwelcome.

Timthetaco Guest
    Okay, helpful response: Stop fighting with vegans. It's been a while since I've watched the video, but I remember he cited lots of epidemiological evidence in support of plant-based diets. They're the kind of population studies that compare vegans, vegetarians and "meat-eaters" (in other words, everyone else). Frankly, that kind of evidence is pretty weak. Your average health freak, no matter what they consume, is always going to be healthier than your average meat-eating patron at a buffet. One of the main differences between the plant-based crowd and the general population is intake of omega-6. Most plant-based dieters ditch refined oils completely, which includes the bad seed oils we also avoid. Another difference is their lack of processed food (generally). Whole food has more vitamins, minerals, fiber and water than processed foods, so that puts them another step ahead. Vegans and paleo dieters actually make the same mistake when they adopt their way of eating. They ditch processed foods, refined sugar, refined oil and other crap, but they have slightly different responses:

"I feel so much better now that I don't eat meat!"
    "I feel so much better now that I don't eat carbs!"

You're going to have to concede at least one point to any vegan you argue with: There's nothing especially harmful about most plant foods. Especially if you're arguing with a gluten-free vegan, what do you have to hold against them? Beans? While we avoid them in this community, there's very little (if any) evidence that legumes negatively impact health. The biggest problem with meatless diets is nutrient deficiency due to a high reliance on less-than-bioavailable sources of certain nutrients - iron, B12, zinc. You don't have to search far and wide to find a multitude of "Why I had to quit veganism" blog posts on the internet.

Maybe I'll respond in better depth later. Have to get back to work.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 03-27-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Thank you, this is much more helpful.

xntrik is offline Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast