Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wild hog as predominant meat source page

leighlu is offline Member

wild hog as predominant meat source

Shop Now
    Ok I live in a rural area of south Florida and I am lucky in that my daughter's boyfriend is an awesome hunter of wild pig. So for minimal money my freezer is always full of various cuts of wild pig.

Since I am a single mom, cheap is good. I probably eat it at least four to five nights a week. You can get a lot of variety of cuts from an entire pig.

My question is how bad is this? I eat grass fed beef, once a week and fish a couple of times a week for lunches, with occasional chicken. I like the pig and the money I save by not having to buy protein for those meals helps a lot, but I have been reading about inflammation and pork and this has me worried.

I would appreciate anyone's input or thoughts.

Thanks,

Leigh Ann

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    pork isnt created equal. i think alot of the PUFAs written about in pork are more in the farmed stuff. if you compare an intensively farmed crated animal to a free range bush or grass fed animal, i am sure it is very different nutritionally. they certainly taste like different animals to me. i get wild pork in waves. so i will have loads or none. i eat it when i have it and dont stress about it.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Wild pig? I'd trade all the grass-fed beef and wild-caught fish in my freezer for that! Yes, it's safe. Yes it's what we are designed to eat, pig and bird are mainstays in hunter-gatherer foods. Your animal is of superior quality to what most of us here are eating. Consider yourself lucky to know a hunter.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I am jealous I agree with all! There is a guy here in Gainesville that will have some at the farmers market sometimes but not always.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leighlu View Post
    Ok I live in a rural area of south Florida and I am lucky in that my daughter's boyfriend is an awesome hunter of wild pig. So for minimal money my freezer is always full of various cuts of wild pig.

Leigh Ann
    May I adopt him?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

leighlu is offline Member
    Thanks to you all. I feel much better about it now. The best thing is that there is no limit on how many you can kill, and he would go every day if he could. Anytime you guys want to come to dinner, feel free. Not to many people make it to Okeechobee though. Though, valmason if you are ever down this way, I could hook you up.

Joaniel, if you would let him hunt everyday, he would probably consider adoption. Lol

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    lol...I was talking to a friend about buying land down there. You are making it sound better and better...

Thanks to you all. I feel much better about it now. The best thing is that there is no limit on how many you can kill, and he would go every day if he could. Anytime you guys want to come to dinner, feel free. Not to many people make it to Okeechobee though. Though, valmason if you are ever down this way, I could hook you up.

Joaniel, if you would let him hunt everyday, he would probably consider adoption. Lol
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Pigs, even wild or pastured ones don't have the same "optimal" O3 to O6 ratio typically found in grass-fed or wild red meats. But this is just the technical truth of it. I wouldn't really worry too much. I mean, you're getting some good fatty fish in your diet, right?

TCates190 is offline Senior Member

Cough cough I'm over that way about every month or so. I'm thinking of getting into hunting too....my inner carnivore has a desire lol.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast