Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wild hog as predominant meat source page 2

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The wild boar will kill is very very bad for you. You should send me at least half every week.
    Kidding, you are so lucky.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I think we should all converge on leighlu's house and go wild hog huntin'

Quote Originally Posted by TCates190 View Post
    Cough cough I'm over that way about every month or so. I'm thinking of getting into hunting too....my inner carnivore has a desire lol.
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    The only real concern is possible contamination from environmental pollutants, but those are literally everywhere (even in organic meat) so I don't think there is any real difference between wild and store-bought; the wild guy is no more dangerous than any other source unless he's been feeding at a superfund site. To be safe you could just not eat the liver which tends to accumulate toxins. Overall I'm with everyone else; I too wish for a freezerful of fresh free wild pig. Most of the meat I eat now is pork anyway because it's the cheapest thing next to chicken at the store. If anyone lives in New Mexico take me boar hunting!
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

leighlu is offline Senior Member
    You are all welcome to come hunt anytime. Drumroll, yes I eat some fatty fish two to three times a week. He is a great kid. He even butchers it for me. I am thinking of investing in a meat grinder to make some sausage. if anyone in south Florida has some land, he will come take care of any hogs you may have. Meat all yours.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, pork has a not-so-great O3 to O6 ratio... But it contains a lot of nutrients not found in red meat so there's that advantage to it. It's also not as high in iron as red meats so there is less risk of iron overload.

As long as you eat some good sources of O3 in your diet (pastured eggs and fatty fish to name a few) then you should be fine. Although I'd say optimally, you are mixing it up with red meat, pork, and seafood all the time.

leighlu is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I have been primal for 18 months and I have spent the last couple of months trying to tweak my diet. I have lost 103 pounds and am trying to lose that last ten. So close. Lol but I would hate to have to give up the pig...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leighlu View Post
    Thanks. I have been primal for 18 months and I have spent the last couple of months trying to tweak my diet. I have lost 103 pounds and am trying to lose that last ten. So close. Lol but I would hate to have to give up the pig...
    Wow. Great progress. Congrats. I think we should have PrimalCon at your place next year and include a boar hunt as one of the activities. Followed by the boar roast of course.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Must...not...get...envious.....

Oooh you have to look up some good charcuterie!

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Congratulations Leighlu! That is amazing! I would love to hear your story one day I agree w/ PB..primal con w/ a boar hunt sounds perfect!
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

mattp1803 is offline Junior Member
    I too am a hunter, but have never been on a wild hog hunt. Hopefully one of these days I can go! I live in Kentucky and mainly hunt deer, turkey, doves, ducks/geese. All good eating, but I would have to say wild pig is one of the best tasting "game" animals I have ever eaten!! I had some ribs, and a pork chop off of a wild pig, and it was amazing!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast