Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Pathologist's Path page

jmsmall is offline Senior Member

Primal Pathologist's Path

Shop Now
    Have been primal/atkins since September which is, what, 7 months now. Down from 170 lbs to 150-155. five ft 7 inches tall. (tall?) HDL's went from 50 to 77 in that time; cardiologist was amazed. I'm a Pathologist (MD PhD) with my PhD in microbiology and know a lot of biochemistry. Wife was reminiscing about how I used to buy the Low Fat mantra hook, line, and sinker but have turned around with, well, DATA!

Now starting IF with DW (Dear Wife). Saw the Horizon special on IF on line and then got the Fast Diet book. Have done two IF days, last Friday and yesterday (monday.)

Hope to infect her with more primal eating but she LOVES to bake! I think it may have caused some hurt feelings that I don't eat the Banana Blueberry Bread any more (which I love) but normalizing my metabolism and staying around to play with and help raise the grandsons to be good cavebabies is more important to me.

Any Primal Bakers out there with some ideas so she can be creative with fewer wheat grains?

Exercise. Have always liked it: biking, karate, some weights, want to get back into some running, maybe someday even do a marathon. Playing with BF running, starting slow. also doing single lifts to muscle failure 1x-2x/week of Mark's Primals: pushups, up to 35 now; pullups, can do 3 complete and then step on to a chair to get up to 10-12 reps. Squats, have been doing dumbbells but up to 45# per arm and that's all I have, will be looking for a barbell setup. Regular plank, 60-90 seconds depending.

Will see if this journal thing helps!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Would it bother you to eat some of the Banana Blueberry bread if it were incorporating a non-wheat flour, or would an occasional piece be too much regardless? I have used a 4:1 blend of white rice flour and sweet rice flour for less finicky baked goods.

third IF day today, no breakfast or lunch, coffee with real heavy cream and two big mugs of salty chicken broth. Am also planning to experiment with doing my weight workout fasted.

29 pushups. 8 pullups with "8" weight offset (have gone from 12 to 8.) 2 sets of dumbell squats with 45 # in front, then 2x25 at shoulders. 1 min about of Plank. then called back to work...bummer.

going home soon, dinner, then Maundy Thursday service.

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member

Day after fast, bacon and eggs! Good stuff.
    work, work. MRI for adductor pain, just edema, probably strained it. Ah well. Rest it.
    Home again.
    thanks for the ideas on baking!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey, it's a mud-phud! When the rest if the MDA picks up on this, I suspect you will get some heavy traffic - there are a lot of Primals here with people in their lives who won't even look askance at Primal/paleo without "scientific proof", and you have an in on that world.

Re the baking thing - there are a few options: eat the wheat, just in seriously restricted amounts (part of the 80%-20% allowance if you choose to use it); request that your wife get good at gluten-free; and/or seek out alternate recipes based on ground coconut or nut butters (and that kind of thing). Honestly, I think your best bet is to use all three options, depending on situation. If your wife loves the baking process, perhaps she would consider adding skills to her repertoire? You could rephrase it as such, too, and that would be no deception at all from you.

Get this: I have four daughters. Two are okay eating wheat, of which one loves baking too; one is a dairy-allergic celiac; and the last cannot tolerate neither grains nor legumes of any form. So I do use each and every form of baking, regular and alternative, myself, when it does crop up. Mostly we just eat Primal foods, but sometimes it does come up, especially at school and on holidays.

There are so many cookbooks out there for gluten-free baking that all you need to do is check your local library - you will be amazed. I even found a baking book for paleo baking using food processor home-ground unsweetened shredded coconut. And check the recipe section of this MDA - there is a lot there!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Yes, I'm a mud-phud and proud of it. The MD pays the bills, but I'm prouder of the PhD which was more difficult to finish.

As far as "scientific proof" for Primal etc., I'm a big fan of Peter Attia, MD, eatingacademy.com. He does a nice job of presenting the science. I've never found "evolutionary" arguments to be completely convincing; they often have a self-justifying side to them and we really can't go back and totally figure out Grok's diet. It is good for generating hypotheses to test, though, and I hope and pray that NuSI will answer a lot of the questions by designing some good research.

I only have 3 daughters and one is gluten sensitive, probably not celiac, seems more like an allergy. My father has bad celiac. All three of us have the genetic trait, but not everyone with the gene expresses it. I'm lactose intolerant after a bout with Giardia years ago. My middle daughter is a borderline vegan vegetarian. My dear wife cooks for us all without (much) complaining, especially when we have big family get-togethers. Dad loves the gluten free desserts she makes.

Today, did some barefoot on the treadmill, a hybrid of barefoot and Galloway run/walk training. Going well so far. I'm up to 15 inutes of 20 sec running, one minute walking. Somewhere along the way I strained an adductor, don't know when it happened, so am being very careful.

Happy Easter to all!

MN Native is offline Junior Member
    There is a cookbook called "Paleo Indulgences" that has a lot of goodies in it. I've tried a few and have many more that I will try at some point in the future.

Fast day #4. Went OK but Easter was a feeding frenzy with more sugar than I usually eat in a week; great carrot cake. I got a bit hungry, wonder if the sugar/insulin thing bled over into today?

Weights in PM: 35 pushups, 8 pullups with counterweight of 7 (wish I knew how many pounds that was), tried squats with Steinborn lift, 45 #, did 16 but my right shoulder is a bit sore. Hm. The 45 lb bar felt pretty heavy! Wish my club had a rack; another one nearby does, should just bite the bullet and go there. 1:05 plank. Feel nicely worked out.

PrimalCon New York
    Fast day #5, Thursday. the Monday and Thursday thing seems to be a pretty good pattern. Weight way up, 156.4 this AM usually in 151 range. did not eat that much yesterday but am starting Inulin supplementation; wonder if that might be it. Interesting.

Up at 5:40, coffee/cream fish oil vitamins, nose spray.

Yesterday, tired all day for some reason, did not exercise much at all. Just walking around hospital. Think about what to do this PM: sprint on Concept at club, sprint on bike? Will wait another day for weights for shoulder to recover a bit more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast