Thread: New here...questions and concerns.. page

Lynx33 is offline Member

New here...questions and concerns..

Hi,

I'm attempting to eat paleo from now on. The main reason being suffering from brain fog and always feeling hungry after meals. I'm 23 years old, I grew up eating a lot of pasta's and bread and grains with my meals. For some reason I would never feel satisfied after a meal and would feel lightheaded and have brain fog an hour or two after eating. The brain fog gets so bad at times that I literally can't read and I forget what I'm talking about (this is bad because I work in a cell center). I did some research and found out I may be sensitive to gluten or wheat. I also had to cut out dairy because it would end up producing too much mucus or whatever that nasty stuff is at the back of my throat (I would literally be gagging all day from choking on it) I cut out dairy again about 4 days ago and the symptom is already gone.

I'm currently on day 3 of eating foods from the paleo list. I'm a little bit confused because for the past 2 years I've been following a typical bodybuilding diet. Alot of my carbs came from oats, and rice, and pasta, and potatos. During this time I went from 145lbs to 175lbs and I don't want to lose any of the weight because it took alot of work to gain it.

I want to make a meal plan again and make sure im getting 3000cals to maintain my bodyweight but now im confused as to the macro ratio im suppose to be getting while on paleo. Can my body really get its energy from fat if I lower the carbs down to about 20%?

Also, today was my first workout while being on this new diet...and it wasn't pretty. My lifts dropped by about 15lbs compared to last week and the reps were down too. Will I be able to maintain my strength while eating this way?

Also...I noticed the past 3 days that I actually feel full after a meal. For breakfast yesturday I had a steak and 3 eggs. I ate it around 12:30 and didn't get hungry again until 5! This is unheard of for me, usually 2 hours after a meal I would feel starved. Then for my next meal I had 2 cans of sardines and some sweet potatos and spinach. I had to force my third meal down even though I didn't feel that hungry. It's great not feeling hungry and being able to focus on other things but I don't want to lose too much weight and strength as well.

Some input would be appreciated, especially in regards to keeping the carbs at about 20% and being able to get my energy from fat. I'm feeling good so far, but the drop in strength at the gym has me worried.

sorry if this was too long.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Lynx:

You will probably be down a while on your lifts until you get fat-adapted. Then you won't feel so weak. Since you are saying you can go now without feeling hungry, you are probably adapting now. Has your brain-fog cleared? You probably will get the big burst of energy soon as well - I went from blah to wow in a couple of days - I couldn't sit still!

Best of luck!
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Lynx33 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    Lynx:

You will probably be down a while on your lifts until you get fat-adapted. Then you won't feel so weak. Since you are saying you can go now without feeling hungry, you are probably adapting now. Has your brain-fog cleared? You probably will get the big burst of energy soon as well - I went from blah to wow in a couple of days - I couldn't sit still!

Best of luck!
    its weird because the past 2 days I have so much more energy during the day. I've been running up these long flight of stairs at the subway on my way to work, and I feel more awake during the day. Tomorrow I'm at the gym again working my back, we'll see how it goes. I went out tonight and bought some turkey and fish and nuts and avocado, mmm.

The brain fog is still here, i'll be keeping a close eye on it during these next few weeks.

Also, I've had a slight headache the past 2 days, does it have something to do with the diet change? I've been more thirsty than usual as well

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    With your activity level, there is no need for you to drop your carbs that much. Keep starches in your diet, just no grains.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    More potatoes and bananas will help get extra calories and will also help power you through workouts. I wouldn't worry about specific macro ratios just yet, it's all just trial and error finding what fuels your body the best.