Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why? Psychologically page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Why? Psychologically

Shop Now
    So, I'm reading "Travels" by Michael Crichton. He started out to be an M.D. and found out he hated it. He strongly objected to treating people as a bag of bio-chemical reactions and then treating the enzymes. During his rotation in psychology he began asking patients "Why are you here?" (This started in a ward of heat attack patients, typically men in their 40's and early 50's.) And he got answers that really interested him.

They didn't say "because I had a heart attach, you dummy", or "because I had artheroscherosis". Instead they answered "because my wife wanted a divorce" or "because I can't find a job". He believed doctors should treat the patient as a human being, a whole, entire human being.

So "Why am I here?". (Because I was so sick I thought I was dying.) But in response to the psychological question of a humans life, you get a different answer.

I'd been studying economics for 5 years and had become depressed about our country. I now thoroughly understood in great detail that 'we the people' were being royally screwed, and had been for the last 100 years. Today it was only getting worse. Before this study I had always completely trusted our democratically elected gov't and believed they had our best interests at heart. What a fool I was. Then, for 1.5 years, I just got sicker and sicker. My last doctor's appointment was an eye opener. He went over all my number and nothing was bad enough, except my cholestrol (take Statins) that he could do anything about it. (No operations indicated.) I said, "do you mean that I should take responsibility for my self?" He smiled and said, "yes". And he looked relieved and happy.

I was stupified. I had absolutely no training in human sciences of any kind. How could I do anything. Hunting all over the internet I found PB and solved all my the problems.

So, why am I here. Because I needed to get out of a depressive funk, take responsibility, and get on with my life. Even if my country was against me, I could stand on my own, and find that there are really good people (on this forum) who will help and support me in doing it.

Why are you here?
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Can we be friends?

The things you are saying are speaking right to my soul. Especially the screwed up country bit. I completely understand what you're talking about here.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    In the same sense (a much longer view), why are you here? What issues or problems does PB solve for you?

I sent you a friend request.

wiltondeportes Guest
    How old are you?

I decided at a young age to strip the wool from my eyes. One my latest reads (Wealth of Nations) has a major clue to our country's chief difficulty: money. War costs a lot of money. You have to pay for equipment, food, transportation, support services, and their own salary on top of that! It's a burden on any government. And if you don't win land out of the war, it's always a losing game economically. The costs of sustaining this army will exceed what your nation ordinarily produce in profit, so you must either raise taxes or borrow money to make up the difference. Any time you raise taxes to match the rising cost of war, that war and the politicians who started it will almost ALWAYS get very unpopular among the populace. So, politicians borrow money as a sly tactic to keep peace at home and fight the war. The downside to this is that future generations then have to pay back these loans PLUS interest. Very rarely will a government EVER pay off these loans. A revolution or conquering is likely to happen first.

So, our country is subjected to these consequences just like everyone else. The entire world has had major wars for the past century, so naturally everyone is in debt. We've just done it a bit more than others.

There are other variables too, of course. Our ENTIRE government has grown way too large, not just our military sector.

I think you just have to be optimistic about the world. Every time that a great empire has fallen, another has been built back up somewhere. I think, with faith in the power and ingenuity of the human mind, humans will still strive for freedoms in the future. It would be VERY sad if our country had to fall in the process though because I think we've done more for human development and human rights than just about anybody, and there have been so many sacrifices by so many people so that our train would keep on chuggin'. But that is the spirit no matter the title of your region: keep on chuggin'.

There's two pieces you need to get chuggin': the mind and the soul. The mind is knowledge of the world, and a logical ability to reason through problems. These are found empirically and rationally. The soul is the fire that burns; it's a faith and intuition-based approach. You can find the mind through reading; it shouldn't take too long if you know what to look for. I could give you advice. The soul is found by returning to your past, recognizing your identity, and moving forward positively on a day to day basis.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 03-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Crypt....
    Why am I here. Well... I very much like many folks was a broken person. Diet after diet. Anxiety over food. Abusing food. PB solved all of that for me. It is slowly healing me. I cannot believe how different things are for me after only two months. I no longer stress about food. I'm losing the over 100 lbs that are hanging off my body and I feel amazing for it. In the last 3 years I have tried desperately to get it off. But they were always hollywood/crash diets that were unsustainable. I KNEW I had to change my eating habits. I KNEW I had to change my lifestyle, but I just couldn't.

I found out I was allergic to gluten. I resisted it for months. Finally, this January it got so bad I knew I had to stop killing myself. When I made that decision, I just didn't know how to eat. What do I eat? I asked myself. I have to cook everything! Ok, that's not so bad. I love to cook. So I went to the Google. I couldn't come up with anything. Well, on another forum, homesteadingtoday, one of my friends has MDA on her signature. I got curious, and clicked it one day. I had no idea it would bring me to this.

Two months in and everything has changed. My whole life is different. I no longer get sick. I can feel it in my joints. I don't feel anger or sadness or depression like I used to. My food obsession is starting to dissipate. I still have days when I obsess about buying a bunch of junk food and just binging myself into a stupor. It passes in a few hours. I no longer act on the urge.

Now, it's gotten to the point that I pretty much do what I want. I don't worry about anything anymore. Yesterday I had a Guinness on tap. Didn't sweat it. Last year that wouldn't have caused me to think "Well, I already screwed up, lets eat a burger, fries, and dessert." Nope. Had a salad. I don't worry about eating half a chicken when it's so damn good and I don't feel the "full alarm" going off.

So many things are better now, there is no way I can go back. I actually had the intuition last night that I actually am going to do this. I actually, for once, am going make this weight go away. I just knew it down to my very core. This is the first time I've ever had this feeling.

Ok, ok, I'm rambling. But that's my answer.

My father is very aware of our situation. Always has been. He's been talking to us about it for as long as I can remember. In the last two years I have come aware of it as well. There are a lot of issues, and I do not think it will get better before it gets worse. I won't say a lot... but there was an initial reason in which I started this farm, and it had nothing to do with the urge to be dirty and stinky all the time.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm here because pink slime ruined burgers for me. Burgers are one of my favorite foods and they're easy and fast. After I learned about pink slime, I started reading and learned about a lot of other crap in the food supply. I read so much conflicting information that I wanted to cry - in fact, I think I did cry for about a minute out of sheer frustration.

I didn't have a lot of health problems. My bp was a little higher than I would have liked and I occasionally suffer from anxiety. My googling led me here, and it was all so logical and smart. I don't agree with everything as set in stone, but I do think that anyone who followed the blueprint (not the forums) would be eating as healthfully as one can. The most important things I learned in the forums were things like sources for non-factory foods.

So, thanks to Jamie Oliver, I learned about pink slime. That eventually led me to MDA and the blueprint. The forums teach me stuff, keep me amused, and I get to 'talk' to people from all over the world. More upside than down.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe people who know about pink slime still buy ground beef. As far as I'm concerned, it's just the tip of the iceberg. My girfriend buys pounds of it on sale and gorges herself, then blames herself for not having willpower.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I can't believe people who know about pink slime still buy ground beef. As far as I'm concerned, it's just the tip of the iceberg. My girfriend buys pounds of it on sale and gorges herself, then blames herself for not having willpower.
    Yep, I gave what I had left when I found out to a friend who knew why and didn't care. That evolved to Whole Foods grass fed 95/5 ground beef. That evolved to me grinding my own in my food processor. Now I'm researching meat grinders.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Yep, I gave what I had left when I found out to a friend who knew why and didn't care. That evolved to Whole Foods grass fed 95/5 ground beef. That evolved to me grinding my own in my food processor. Now I'm researching meat grinders.
    Beef ground in a grinder is vastly superior. I need to replace my Kitchen-Aid stand mixer meat grinder attachment, or buy a grinder. I'm dithering about what to buy.

Home-ground chicken thighs are great, too.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Home-ground chicken thighs are great, too.
    Ground chicken thighs sound AMAZING.

I'm here (on the site) because I'm looking for a cure for my anxiety and depression, foremost. I'm also here because I need people to talk to. I have a lot in my head and nowhere for it to go. I get really bored at work sometimes and this is my only outlet during the day.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast