Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why? Psychologically page 8

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I never said that fat people have " something emotionally or psychologically wrong with them". I said that it's interesting, to me, to view my (our) lives through a psychological window or view. It's also interesting to Michael Chrichton and many, many others.
    You may not have said this, but we hear it all the time. We are bombarded with messages to this effect. There is way too much blaming going on out there. It turns into self-blaming, a deep hole from which most people (quite reasonably) see no way out. "Emotional eater" means whatever somebody wants it to mean. If they're running a website to help "emotional eaters" by charging them a membership fee to understand their "problem", guess what? They have no incentive to help anyone.

Do you think food manufacturers want women to take control of their lives and stop binging? No way. They make big profits because people feel helpless to solve their overeating issues. And keep buying junk food. And dieting.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Before traditional psychology the mind has always been the arena of religions. Traditional psychology is very recent; Freud began it in the late 1800's. Through a tangled number of translations or mistaken translations the words soul and mind had become synonomous hundreds of years B.C.. From the earliest Christianity the mind and soul were synonomous and were later believed to be the "Holy Ghost", the 'representation' of "God" in a person, their conscience. And this debate/discussion has been going on since science discovered the brain and some of its functions.

Today, the example that comes to mind is the treatment of Alchoholism. It is treated in clinics medically with lots of a large variety of drugs. Treatments typically lasts 4-6 weeks. The Shick Center test for a successful cure is that the patient is sober 6 months after treatment. In this path the brain is chemically altered.

The mind path is represented by AA. No drugs, not even asprin, are used. Treatment is via the mind and lasts 3-5 years. A successful cure is determined when the individual dies (hopefully of old age) sober. Thus it is very difficult to compare success. But in a number of such well-done studies AA is by far the more successful. No contest.

However the point I wish to make is that both treatments can work. Either the brain (as altered) can influence the mind, or the mind (as altered) can alter the chemistry of the brain.

I agree wholheartedly with Rojo. Our culture today has swung entirely to the "bag of chemicals" brain side and is badly out of balance. We also have dumped philosophy, psychology, religion, etc. as if they were of no value at all. This in spite of the obvious facts that wars over exactly these fields are costing us a lot of money and trouble.
    I don't see why you think the mind and the brain are separate? The mind is certainly a bag of chemicals. The difficulty is in the details. It's not as simple as adding a few enzymes, and you're fixed. The brain has natural abilities to work on itself (aka think), so you can help people do this for themselves via stuff like AA. It's still a bag of chemicals at the end of the day.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You may not have said this, but we hear it all the time. We are bombarded with messages to this effect. There is way too much blaming going on out there. It turns into self-blaming, a deep hole from which most people (quite reasonably) see no way out. "Emotional eater" means whatever somebody wants it to mean. If they're running a website to help "emotional eaters" by charging them a membership fee to understand their "problem", guess what? They have no incentive to help anyone.

Do you think food manufacturers want women to take control of their lives and stop binging? No way. They make big profits because people feel helpless to solve their overeating issues. And keep buying junk food. And dieting.
    So you critize, blame me because others blame others. Are you well? Do you think you are justified in holding me responsible for the actions and behavior of others? Is your intent to be dictator and prevent anyone from ever talking about things you don't like?
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-29-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678