Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why? Psychologically page 6

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am fascinated by people. Each one of us is totally unique, different, a complete world in themselves. No one can be compared to anyone else. No one is the Mathematical Average or Mean, such a person does not exist.

I sincerely appreciate your openness that enables me to welcome more human variety into my life.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Why are you here?
    Welcome.

For me it has always been obvious humans were not meant to get cavities, crooked teeth, get fat, develop chronic disease, etc. It just doesn't make sense, nature doesn't make mistakes like that. So the question arises: what's the deal? What behavior of ours is causing it?

Obviously one should just obey nature for optimal results. That of course means eating real food. But it wasn't until I heard of paleo and read their reasoning that I grasped the missing piece of the puzzle. The missing piece was: AGRICULTURE is not a real food, as we have not had adequate time to adapt to it. However we have had millions of years to adapt to meat and vegi. Very eye opening. Before I had always thought of brown rice and soy beans as real food.

And so we all have removed agriculture "foods", and all sorts of problems have vanished! Pretty cool. Figuring it out after 10,000 years of dumbass farming, better late than never. We should have noticed when we got 4" shorter, something was wrong.

So I'm just here to enjoy the awesomeness.

KinchiNinja
    Does this mean you have "cavities, crooked teeth, got fat, chronic disease"?

The question is "For what psychologicol cause, reason are you here?"

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I'm here to enjoy the awesomeness of not getting those things.

This is a very good place to do it.

wiltondeportes Guest
    (I edited my last response to you.) OK. I used 1, 3 and 5 (I've had a number of unexplainable experiences). BTW, I like your list.

Are you ever going to answer my question. Or did you come only to learn and as you state, you have learned.
    Ya that's all. I came to learn. I learned. I stayed because the people who find sites like this tend to be more interested in self improvement than most, and I like to be around that. I can learn tidbits about health still as possibly more stuff could come out, and I can see what other self-improving people are doing in case I want to try it.

The reason I wrote that long post was not to answer your question. It was to make you ask more questions (Socratically)... I was just trying to help you get out of a funk that I believe you said you were in.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 03-28-2013 at 01:43 AM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    To answer that question you added to your previous post:

People have all agreed that money has value. So, they are allowed to do one specific job, make money, and then use that money to get the rest of their needs met.

With trust in this monetary system, people can advance beyond straight barter to accomplish more complicated tasks. It's transportable, durable, universal, divisible, and it allows for more niches than just "meat and potatoes" type jobs. Some might say there are too many niches like that in our current economy, and my cynical side tends to agree. (Greek Cynicism, not the everyday word "cynic").

Money is what holds our division of labor together.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 03-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.

vtphoenix is offline Member
    I was lead here on a quest for knowledge. I have stayed because I love reading about people on the same or similar path.

To go a little deeper:
    There are things you just know, or feel, and all the nonsense about what to eat and such didn't feel right. I was never really overweight, though I had a higher body fat percentage than I wanted. I never really tried dieting, but I tried changing the way I ate listening to "the experts", and saw no changes except in the wrong direction. The experts were telling me to do things counter to what I felt was what I should be doing. I did some research on IF because I almost never eat breakfast and listening to my body, have always been a 2 meal a day kind of person. Now I just do my best to make sure it's the right food for my body in those meals.

Probably not psychological enough based on your responses to earlier posters, but let's say it answered a question that I'd been seeking at the time. The answer: You know what's right, do it, and don't listen to the others.

As a thinker myself, I always wonder what causes people to perform an action counter to programming, even knowing the dire consequences of the action.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    But, IMO, it's a mistake to dismiss the "mind" side. The brain side means you don't have to deal with painful stuff. But I think it's dealing with that stuff that provides the biggest breakthrough. Right now I'm reading several Jungian books aimed at men. And they're eye-opening. I'm seeing a shrink and journaling. In the journals, I'm writing down select incidents from my life that carry shame and guilt. It's not fun. But it's cathartic. Nobody will see these, probably not even my shrink. But it's liberating.

I'm an atheist but I've come to realize that our modern culture's determinist view of humanity has taken us on a wrong turn. Rational choice theory, selfish genes, etc.. are ridiculously reductionist. Your brain's more than chemicals. Citizens are more than consumers. You are more than your genes.
    What you've described, with the journalling, really is helpful. I found a list somewhere in late 2011 (in a Youtube video, don't remember where I found it now) that recommended you write out your pains, starting from childhood. I just wrote honestly about anything I could remember that bothered me and suddenly found that I was able to let go of a lot of past incidents. Honest self-reflection is really important.

Therapy can be very helpful, it usually takes years (for those who don't want to confront themselves), or it can go faster.
    Absolutely. I've been in therapy on and off for the past 10 years or so. This past year, since starting with primal and amino acid supplementation, I've made the most "break-throughs" in and outside of therapy. I'm able to sort out a lot of things for myself now.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    To answer that question you added to your previous post:

People have all agreed that money has value. So, they are allowed to do one specific job, make money, and then use that money to get the rest of their needs met.

With trust in this monetary system, people can advance beyond straight barter to accomplish more complicated tasks. It's transportable, durable, universal, divisible, and it allows for more niches than just "meat and potatoes" type jobs. Some might say there are too many niches like that in our current economy, and my cynical side tends to agree. (Greek Cynicism, not the everyday word "cynic").

Money is what holds our division of labor together.
    Today our money is the paper dollar which in itself has no value. Rather it started out representing a specific amount of gold and silver that did have value. Like a coat-check ticket represents a real coat. Alas, the gov't spent all the gold and silver they were holding to back those dollars, so they confiscated ours and then told us that the paper dollar was no longer backed by anything. (I'm really compressing time here.) They told us the dollar had the same value (and we believed them). Then they spent all the 'real wealth' of our nation. Since then they have borrowing against the future wealth of our future people. (Gold and silver still have real value, look on the commodities exchange.) LOL. It's a great game. Maybe not as much fun as Kings of old used to have when they 'shaved' coins of real money.

Money is:
    1. a voluntarily accepted media of exchange - no longer of any value though, so the exchange for it is not voluntary but a matter of law. Dollars must be accepted for payment of any debt.
    2. a store of wealth - no longer
    3. fungable - yes
    4. fiduciary media - yes. Banks (and individuals) still charge interest for loans, but not much.
    5. Of steady value (not now) which enables accounting.

The division of labor can be practiced (is enabled) when groups of people (or companies) voluntarily cooperate together to accomplish a goal.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-28-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast