Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73

Thread: Why? Psychologically page 5

  1. #41
    LauraSB's Avatar
    LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    717
    A year ago, all I wanted was to not care about food so much. I was sick of being fat, worried I had developed rheumatoid arthritis or fibromyalgia and feeling like the rest of my life was going to be a steady, miserable decline. I made good progress eating less and better for 4 months when I found MDA following a recipe link. The pressure of counting calories had brought me to an appreciation of nutrient density that I hadn't seen articulated outside of primal/paleo philosophy, so the MDA forums felt like an extraordinary resource.

    Ironically, I care more about food than I ever have before, but I care less about eating. I'm at a normal weight, out of pain and see staying here as almost effortless. DH and I have joined a CSA, found a couple of nearby farms for 70% or so of our meat and have become much more selective about where we eat out. I can't understand why this was so hard for me before. I could have been slender and healthy my whole f-ing life. Water under the bridge. Take a deep breath. Look forward.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

  2. #42
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,740
    Sick and tired of being sick and tired! And gas, having my face covered in cystic boils, snoring, seasonal allergies, walking with a cane at the age of 25, perpetuating disease processes, etc. I'm here to make sure I keep knowing what I learned and don't throw it all away. I want to be here to watch these silly pink monkeys make messes as long as I can. I want my own offspring to grow up feeling great instead of obese and hungry and hurting the way I did. I'm here because I took the pill, left the matrix, and have no reason to go back.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  3. #43
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Also, we had just moved to NZ. Moving to NZ improved our lives in 1,000 ways too.
    +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  4. #44
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Why did you have a heart attack? What problems that the heart attack solve?
    Sorry, your questions are nonsense. The heart attack solved nothing. It just pointed me in a different direction
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  5. #45
    Gladmorning's Avatar
    Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    531
    Ok cryptocode. I think I'm catching on.....

    Psychologically... Why am I here.... why am I fat. I was starved as a baby. Not intentionally. The first month of my life I was literally starving. I supposedly didn't like my mother's milk and it took them awhile to really figure it out. I wasn't made aware of this until my teenage years. When I was informed of this... it made sense why I couldn't stop manically eating. I can remember feeling like I could never get enough. As early as five years old, I remember feeling panic because someone took away the food.

    My entire family abused food to soothe their emotions. It's the pattern I grew up with. Sad? Here's some cake. Happy? Here's some cake. I am here to break this psychological barrier. I am here to finally break the cycle.

    And yes, I'm sure a lot of MY emotional eating had a lot to do with family issues. I have done a lot of digging into those over the years. Feelings of abandonment fro my father. He was gone a lot with his job. Mom knew it effected me differently. Lack of self worth in my sister's shadow. Abusing food helped me deal with these at the time. Didn't solve anything. Just put a bandaid on the real issue. It's painful digging this stuff up. But, I believe to grow, we must.
    Last edited by Gladmorning; 03-27-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

  6. #46
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,194
    I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. I spent 6 months and 3000 miles hiking. I ate candy, cookies, crackers and pasta with cheese. I hiked 25-30 miles a day. I learned that there is a hole in the fence, that there is a real world out there more real than the one we normally live in, one where nature is safe and home and cities are dangerous and not home, one where all the crap we do every day becomes crystal clear what a huge social construction it all is. It's all meaningless. There's a hole in the fence and I know how to go through it. I live in this world though because I lack the courage to live in that one permanently. It can be done. I met people who do it.

    My hike and my diet ruined my metabolism. I was so hungry all the time. I ate anytime the trail was not going up hill. After the hike it took a year for my appetite to subside, but it would still flare up if I did anything physical. I gained a lot of weight and I could not diet or run it off. So I went looking for answers to my weight and appetite problem. I found them at the Diet Doctor and Protein Power blogs. I came here because I like active forums and this one seems pretty nice, on topic and when off-topic it's interesting. Not a lot of negative trolling stuff.

    I've always been suspicious of modern medicine, the whole cholesterol theory has been poo-pooed by me as long as I can remember. I have suffered from depression a lot in life. Going to Al-Anon helped a lot but depression still plagued me. It was always worse when I would lose weight. When I changed my diet to a high fat, low carb diet my obsession with food went away and my mood improved to where I was happy on the inside and sunny on the outside. It perplexed me. You mean my weakness for food isn't caused by me and my depression/bad personality isn't a personal failing? Now I'm even more suspicious of modern medicine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  7. #47
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Ok cryptocode. I think I'm catching on.....

    Psychologically... Why am I here.... why am I fat. I was starved as a baby. Not intentionally. The first month of my life I was literally starving. I supposedly didn't like my mother's milk and it took them awhile to really figure it out. I wasn't made aware of this until my teenage years. When I was informed of this... it made sense why I couldn't stop manically eating. I can remember feeling like I could never get enough. As early as five years old, I remember feeling panic because someone took away the food.

    My entire family abused food to soothe their emotions. It's the pattern I grew up with. Sad? Here's some cake. Happy? Here's some cake. I am here to break this psychological barrier. I am here to finally break the cycle.

    And yes, I'm sure a lot of MY emotional eating had a lot to do with family issues. I have done a lot of digging into those over the years. Feelings of abandonment fro my father. He was gone a lot with his job. Mom knew it effected me differently. Lack of self worth in my sister's shadow. Abusing food helped me deal with these at the time. Didn't solve anything. Just put a bandaid on the real issue. It's painful digging this stuff up. But, I believe to grow, we must.
    Great response. Now you've got it.

  8. #48
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Ironically, I care more about food than I ever have before, but I care less about eating.
    Me too. Good way to put it.

  9. #49
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Knifegill

    Sounds like you were much worse than I was. I'm glad you "took the pill, left the matrix, and have no reason to go back."
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 10:07 PM.

  10. #50
    Cryptocode's Avatar
    Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,341
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There's a hole in the fence and I know how to go through it. I live in this world though because I lack the courage to live in that one permanently. It can be done. I met people who do it.

    It perplexed me. You mean my weakness for food isn't caused by me and my depression/bad personality isn't a personal failing? Now I'm even more suspicious of modern medicine.
    You're here because you found the hole (from fake reality into real reality) and need a little time and support to walk through it.

    Well, you say you were eating crap on the Pacific Crest Trail hike and the depression came after that, when you were loosing weight? I think I have that wrong. What came first? Weight, depression, hiking, overeating? Usually there's a reason for overeating. You think overeating will help you feel better because you associate overeating with? Why?

    Anyway "bad personality" is NOT a personal failing; it's a judgement by others (or by yourself?). If other people can't get along with you, and you're being honestly you, why not blame them for expecting something else? Do they want everyone to be a clone of an ideal of theirs. That's not your problem. And what has modern medicine got to do with my question? I'm confused here.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •