Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why? Psychologically page 4

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hm... I didn't know how to answer that. I have always attributed it to a chemical issue. I've been going to therapy regularly for almost a year now, though, so maybe I will have a better answer soon .

One answer could be that my family is incredibly passive aggressive.
    My turn toward Primal was for much the same reason, albeit I wanted to lose weight too.

I'm now a bit cautious about thinking I can change me head by changing my diet. In psychology there's always been a brain/mind split. The brain path is to treat your "disorder" as primarily a chemical process. This leads you to pharmaceuticals. But it can also lead you to better nutriton, exercise, fresh-air-and-sunshine, etc...

The "mind" side is what traditional psychology has been about -- talk therapy, reflection, etc..

Right now, the "brain" side has taken the lead. We've all heard the Woody Allen jokes about being in psychotherapy for years and getting nowhere. And the science of the brain has advanced a lot.

But, IMO, it's a mistake to dismiss the "mind" side. The brain side means you don't have to deal with painful stuff. But I think it's dealing with that stuff that provides the biggest breakthrough. Right now I'm reading several Jungian books aimed at men. And they're eye-opening. I'm seeing a shrink and journaling. In the journals, I'm writing down select incidents from my life that carry shame and guilt. It's not fun. But it's cathartic. Nobody will see these, probably not even my shrink. But it's liberating.

I'm an atheist but I've come to realize that our modern culture's determinist view of humanity has taken us on a wrong turn. Rational choice theory, selfish genes, etc.. are ridiculously reductionist. Your brain's more than chemicals. Citizens are more than consumers. You are more than your genes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My husband had gut issues, his naturopath told him to go gluten free. I did some research online to see what would work for our family. I found paleo and that brought me to primal. This one seemed most in alignment with how we function and think about things, so this is what we decided to do!

It's been great. Our lives have dramatically improved in 1,000 ways.

Also, we had just moved to NZ. Moving to NZ improved our lives in 1,000 ways too.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    There's two pieces you need to get chuggin': the mind and the soul. The mind is knowledge of the world, and a logical ability to reason through problems. These are found empirically and rationally. The soul is the fire that burns; it's a faith and intuition-based approach. You can find the mind through reading; it shouldn't take too long if you know what to look for. I could give you advice. The soul is found by returning to your past, recognizing your identity, and moving forward positively on a day to day basis.
    1. Blamming all our economic problems on wars is really narrowing the problem unrealistically. Anyway, Jackson completely paid off all war debts incurred up incurred up through his administration. It can be done.

2. Is the mind merely a product of the actions of the brain, or not. Does the mind initiate thought, or does the brain (chemically)? This is a discussion I've had a zillion times and don't want to include here.

3. The soul - could be fire (energy) (Hewbrews, Zoroastrians, Persians, etc.) , the mind (Christians, Gnostics, Early Greeks) , the unconscious (Freud, Jung, etc.) To personally answer this question it is necessary to have some concept of God or the Cosmos (Early Astrology is an example in the Ancients).
    I am curently reading "Panchadasi, A Vedanta Classic" by Vidyaranya, and "The Sambandha Bartika of Sureb" by Sures Varacharya.

These subjects do not address my question. Why are you (personally) here? As explained it is a psychological question, not a religious one or a bio-chemical one.

I think you have a lot to learn. I think you are very intelligent and you're thinking. Keep it up. Perhaps you have a new person to meet - yourself. Getting to know yourself is a great adventure in itself, it also goes a long way to improving you relationships with other people, who, after all, are much like you.

Economic Question: "What is money?".
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Crypto: My Achilles tendons are too short, which brings my heels permanently off the ground and prevents be from being able to bring my toes upwards towards my shin. Subsequently, that muscle that runs along the shin is weak because I can't really use it. It makes it more difficult to keep balance when still and makes climbing stairs, doing squats and "lifting with my legs" something else. There is no solution, because I am too old for a doctor to want to approve operation on me. I've even tried stretching the tendon with a strap tied around the ball of the foot and hauling back with all I've got. It's like iron, I swear.

M.

EDIT: I do have psychological issues - motivation related, anyways.
    I'd never head of toe-walking. Did you know that horseback riders deal with this problem. Watch them in the Olympics, especially the jumping classes. All riders have to go through a process of lenghtening their achillies tendon in order to get their heels lower than the balls of their feet (which are in the stirrups) so that the inner leg muscle is tightened against the sides of the horse. Put the ball of a foot on a step or stair and bounce up and down on it. (It takes a year or more to get it really lenghtened.)

Are you older than I am? Retirement is fantastic. I do whatever I want, most often not much.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hm... I didn't know how to answer that. I have always attributed it to a chemical issue. I've been going to therapy regularly for almost a year now, though, so maybe I will have a better answer soon .

One answer could be that my family is incredibly passive aggressive.
    Therapy can be very helpful, it usually takes years (for those who don't want to confront themselves), or it can go faster.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    My turn toward Primal was for much the same reason, albeit I wanted to lose weight too.

I'm now a bit cautious about thinking I can change me head by changing my diet. In psychology there's always been a brain/mind split. The brain path is to treat your "disorder" as primarily a chemical process. This leads you to pharmaceuticals. But it can also lead you to better nutriton, exercise, fresh-air-and-sunshine, etc...

The "mind" side is what traditional psychology has been about -- talk therapy, reflection, etc..

Right now, the "brain" side has taken the lead. We've all heard the Woody Allen jokes about being in psychotherapy for years and getting nowhere. And the science of the brain has advanced a lot.

But, IMO, it's a mistake to dismiss the "mind" side. The brain side means you don't have to deal with painful stuff. But I think it's dealing with that stuff that provides the biggest breakthrough. Right now I'm reading several Jungian books aimed at men. And they're eye-opening. I'm seeing a shrink and journaling. In the journals, I'm writing down select incidents from my life that carry shame and guilt. It's not fun. But it's cathartic. Nobody will see these, probably not even my shrink. But it's liberating.

I'm an atheist but I've come to realize that our modern culture's determinist view of humanity has taken us on a wrong turn. Rational choice theory, selfish genes, etc.. are ridiculously reductionist. Your brain's more than chemicals. Citizens are more than consumers. You are more than your genes.
    Agreed. Scientists that study the brain have come up with many 'answers', but they have not, to date, found any way to explain consciousness, nor any indication of it's existance. Yet, we know personally and absolutely, that we are conscious. We also know when we are 'loosing consciousness'. IMO there is much, much more to the world (cosmos) than the physical properties. There's a most interesting book "The Origin of Consciousness in the breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" by Julian Jaynes.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Also, we had just moved to NZ. Moving to NZ improved our lives in 1,000 ways too.
    Why did you move to NZ?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    1. Blamming all our economic problems on wars is really narrowing the problem unrealistically. Anyway, Jackson completely paid off all war debts incurred up incurred up through his administration. It can be done.

2. Is the mind merely a product of the actions of the brain, or not. Does the mind initiate thought, or does the brain (chemically)? This is a discussion I've had a zillion times and don't want to include here.

3. The soul - could be fire (energy) (Hewbrews, Zoroastrians, Persians, etc.) , the mind (Christians, Gnostics, Early Greeks) , the unconscious (Freud, Jung, etc.) To personally answer this question it is necessary to have some concept of God or the Cosmos (Early Astrology is an example in the Ancients).
    I am curently reading "Panchadasi, A Vedanta Classic" by Vidyaranya, and "The Sambandha Bartika of Sureb" by Sures Varacharya.

These subjects do not address my question. Why are you (personally) here? As stated it is a psychological question, not a religious one.
    1. Andrew Jackson? The United States was still growing at that point. Like I said, gaining resources (of which, land is a type) is practically the only way to pay off a war, free-and-clear.

2. The mind and the brain are one and the same, so I don't know what your objection is to what I said, and I don't know what your own point is either.

3. I'm not speaking metaphysically when i say "soul" or "mind". These are both physical elements of what is contained in your cranium.

Is it not a religious question? Or could it be that people in society are taught not to dare discuss religion with strangers because people get so steadfast and angry with their beliefs?

What is religion? Religion comes from the latin root, "religare", which means "to connect or bind". Knowledge of everything in this world is unattainable for any one person, and most only get to know a small fraction. Religion is what connects these fragments of your world and gives you a full, satisfied outlook on life. It's naturally human to be religious, and the atheists and nihilists who ignore this are generally depressed. You must have a view! A goal! A stance! Without, what are you? That's religion.

My god is human achievement. My priests are all who achieve. My commandments teach self-actualization, which is to fulfill your full potential.

MarksDailyApple was a website that taught me about certain elements of health when I knew so much less. Health is an element of self-actualization.

wiltondeportes Guest
    There are basically 5 ways of achieving knowledge:
    1- faith, tenacity= clinging to a belief regardless of what you learn
    2- authority, trusting others= believing what others say (hopefully they are smart)
    3- inuition= creating knowledge without reason
    4- rational, logical reasoning= using logic to create knowledge
    5- empirical= observing results time after time and creating a theory or rule on why these results occur

It's easy for a smart person to get caught in the trap of thinking totally empirically and rationally about everything in life. I've come to find out that your body/brain does not function best that way. There are certain things that you just have to accept inuitively/faithfully, and these are the very simple elements of your religion, which binds your world together.. I already mentioned what my religion is, and I think you will find those beliefs to be positive and high quality in nature.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    There are basically 5 ways of achieving knowledge:
    1- faith, tenacity= clinging to a belief regardless of what you learn
    2- authority, trusting others= believing what others say (hopefully they are smart)
    3- inuition= creating knowledge without reason
    4- rational, logical reasoning= using logic to create knowledge
    5- empirical= observing results time after time and creating a theory or rule on why these results occur
    (I edited my last response to you.) OK. I used 1, 3 and 5 (I've had a number of unexplainable experiences). BTW, I like your list.

Are you ever going to answer my question. Or did you come only to learn and as you state, you have learned.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-27-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast