Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you brush your teeth with?

Hybrid View

What do you brush your teeth with?

Just curious what people brush their teeth with, i was told stay away from all the commercial tooth paste

Tom's natural flouride free something when I feel the need. Otherwise, just some coconut oil. You can always use baking soda & water though. But if I eat clean, I feel like there's less need for real toothpaste and that the mechanical action of the brushing is the important part.

i use tom's flouride free sometimes. right now i'm working through a tube of trader joe's flouride free flavored with fennel. like rich said, though, eating clean is most important. i only brush my teeth to keep them looking clean.

Tom's for me, too. I also use natural mouthwash (Jason, and sometimes The Natural Dentist) and gum. I've been looking into a few natural teeth whitening solutions, but haven't had much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Tom's for me, too. I also use natural mouthwash (Jason, and sometimes The Natural Dentist) and gum. I've been looking into a few natural teeth whitening solutions, but haven't had much luck.
    If you brush with baking soda, it will whiten your teeth. People are always asking me if I have my teeth professionaly whiten.
    Loving my primal life

Quote Originally Posted by polos26 View Post
    If you brush with baking soda, it will whiten your teeth. People are always asking me if I have my teeth professionaly whiten.
    Not a bad suggestion -- I'll have to give that a try!

Baking soda brushing and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide works pretty well for whitening.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore374 View Post
    Baking soda brushing and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide works pretty well for whitening.
    I moisten baking soda into a paste with hydrogen peroxide and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I moisten baking soda into a paste with hydrogen peroxide and use that.
    Me too. it makes your teeth feel as clean as if you just left the dentist.

I've been using Xyliwhite toothpaste for years now, I get in on iherb for $3.81 / 6.4oz (normal sized) tube (free shipping for orders $20+). Now Foods, Solutions, Xyli I order a box of stuff from them at least monthly now, and always get a tube or two of this. There is also a cinnamon version and another version with baking soda, but I don't like the taste of those as much as this standard minty flavored one. Also, my non-Paleo SO does not complain about using this toothpaste, but did about all the other "natural" ones I tried. The Xylitol in this really does inhibit the growth of bacteria; compared to other toothpastes, I noticed I wake up with significantly less plaque growth from overnight. Other brands are also usually more expensive and taste weird or have weird textures.

Functional Ingredients: Xylitol (25%), papain (whitening)
    Ingredients: Water, xylitol (25%), hydrated silica, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium coco-sulfate, carrageenan (chondrus crispus), tea tree (melaleuca alternifolia) leaf oil, peppermint (mentha piperita) oil, spearmint (mentha viridis) oil, papain (proteinase enzyme from papaya that degrades protein deposits), potassium sorbate.
    SLS-Free, Gluten Free, Paraben-Free

For a mouthwash I make a simple saturated solution of baking soda in water, and keep it in a water bottle under the bathroom sink. (to make a saturated solution, just add enough baking soda that not all of it dissolves; I like to shake it up and feel the bit of abrasiveness of the undissolved particles may help remove stuff too). Typically I swish with that when I first get up; the baking soda is alkaline and neutralizes the acid from overnight growth of bacteria. Then I usually have my morning coffee, and brush my teeth and go off to work after that. My only other recommendation is to use fresh baking soda, as baking soda from fridge deodorizing will have absorbed a lot of undesirable flavors from the fridge and it tastes really fishy and much more unpleasant than new baking soda...