Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for new skillet? page

Cyclops is offline Junior Member

Recommendations for new skillet?

Shop Now
    My current skillet (12'' Calphalon) is getting a bit torn up, and I'm looking at possible replacements. One that struck me was this new Ozeri green-earth (ceramic) non-stick skillet. However, at least on Amazon, it's gotten mixed reviews.

So any suggestions for a good twelve-inch skillet (for a standard electric stove - not gas, not inductive)? Preferably non-stick (although I suppose I could do without that, I've been using a dab of coconut oil recently to prevent burgers from sticking, works well). Not over-priced - I'm not looking for the cheapest, as it's a long-term purchase, but I don't see any reason to pay for a famous chef's picture on the cover, either.

gunnerbee is offline Junior Member
    I have been loving my cast iron skillets- use them daily. I have a 6" for eggs and a larger one for just about everything else- I also have stainless steel, but find I rarely use them once I got the cast iron ones.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    A lot of members use cast iron. You can often find them very cheaply at a GoodWill Store. Then season them and do not wash with soap again but wipe them out.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Third vote for the awesomeness of cast-iron.

If you want stainless steel, Tramontina seems to be pretty good:
    Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown | Serious Eats
    Amazon.com: Tramontina Prima Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Fry Pan, 12": Home & Kitchen

KatieCHI is offline Member
    Ooo thanks for that link yodiewan. I have a nice cast iron one, but wanted to add a stainless steel one to replace my old chemical-leeching-what-metal-is-this? pan. This looks perfect.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    #4 for cast iron. Makes cooking easier and more fun.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Try nomnompaleo.com for suggestions on excellent cooking ware. The author has an extensive list about high-quality kitchen accessories to purchase.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

nomnompaleo did also seem to prefer cast-iron, but I did notice one concern:

It heats unevenly. Contrary to popular belief, iron is a poor conductor of heat, which means that the heat doesn't travel far from its source. Trying to use a 12-inch cast iron skillet on a 3-inch burner ring is an exercise in futility: the outer edges of the pan will never get hot.
    Fortunately, my electric burners are 7'', but it's still not the same size as the skillet.

Something else that occurs to me - is anyone using a cast-iron skillet on an electric stove? Just reading about the skillets and their thermal density, I'm wondering how many hours it will take, to heat up enough to fry a (grass-fed) burger?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Something else that occurs to me - is anyone using a cast-iron skillet on an electric stove? Just reading about the skillets and their thermal density, I'm wondering how many hours it will take, to heat up enough to fry a (grass-fed) burger?
    I have a flat top electric stove, and it takes a couple minutes, but not very long. I can walk home from work (10 minutes each way), make an omelet, eat the omelet, and be back at work with about 15 minutes left on my lunch hour. Not sure if I could do that if it was an electric coil-type stove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast