Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for new skillet? page 2

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I use stainless steel, with ghee or olive oil (low temp cooking only) to keep things from sticking, or enameled cast iron (Le Creuset). I don't use regular cast iron because I'm concerned about leaching iron into the food, especially if I'm cooking something acidic. Maybe that concern is overblown, but the options I mentioned work fine for me anyway.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I have cast iron and stainless. I use my cast iron pan 365/yr with the stainless coming out only when I need a bigger pan. I use my 8" cast iron daily for cooking eggs and my 12" or 14" for cooking meats like burgers, chops, or reheating meats and vegetables. I even cook tomato based sauces in them to up the iron content of the food, although I believe the increase is quite minimal.

I'd love an enameled cast iron one to try out but I actually have more pans than a family of 9 could use and there are only three of us, so I have restrained myself.
    Last edited by Primal123; 03-26-2013 at 04:48 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Cast iron and stainless here also. I still have some nonstick pans just because they aren't damaged. Cast iron thrives on benign neglect, at which I am good (just ask any of my exes). I started with a small dutch oven that came with a lid that doubles as a 10" frying pan, and I purchased a muffin "tin" to make little egg/meat thingies. But I'm definitely going to get a loaf pan and various sized skillets as time goes by. Last night, I made some baked corned beef and eggs, and forgot to add a fat to keep it all from sticking, and it wasn't a problem.

I've learned that you can't do acidic things in new cast iron, (tomatoes), but that's easy to deal with. And since I've seen Bobby Flay cook with tomatoes in cast iron, I figure one day mine will be seasoned enough to deal with the acid.

It also makes a decent weapon. heh.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mitch is offline Member
    Ditto for cast iron. Absent cooking on a flat rock, seems the most primal. I never use non-stick, do not trust them. I read once that CA is also good to provide extra iron though that is seldom an issue if you eat primal. If you have non-primal housemates though it may matter especially for menstruating women.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Scanpan Professional..........awesome but not cheap I have used calphalon, analon, stainless steel and cast iron. Cast iron is nice for some things but for me the Scanpan beats them all for regular stuff. The professional series are way better IMO.
    CHEFS Catalog - Scanpan Professional Fry Pans customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Editing to agree with Springnr, that the Pro IQ are the ones that I have that I love. They come with handle sleeves.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 03-26-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    I just recently replaced my old Calphalon cookware with a set of Chef's Classic Stainless Steel from Cuisinart. It's a moderately priced set for stainless and I love it!

I also regularly use my cast iron skillet and enameled dutch oven (both by Lodge).

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Scanpan Pro IQ is what your asking for.

Cyclops is offline Junior Member
    For the record, I ended up getting a GreenPan ceramic/aluminum skillet. Figuring out all the maintenance details of a cast-iron skillet, puts it on my someday-maybe list...

John C>

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Nonstick causes cancer. I have had my eye on this skillet for awhile now... Amazon.com: Lodge Logic L10SK3 12-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet: Kitchen & Dining

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I got a couple of ceramic coated non stick skillets for christmas and I love them.

The Soft Line Range | GreenLife

While I prefer cast iron for many things, my family isn't great about using them and cleaning them properly, and they're too heavy for my kids. These are a perfect solution.

I've read some negative reviews, and none of the problems have ever happened to me. The key (for all cookware) is to preheat the pan, then preheat the oil before adding the food.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12