Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parents of little ones, dietary changes, and FCLO page

Mldami is offline Senior Member

Parents of little ones, dietary changes, and FCLO

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    I have a 3yr old who I really need to get off wheat for his eczema. He doesn't eat a ton of grains, in general, which is good. He generally leans more towards a primal diet. BUT, he loves crackers and pasta. And, so far, he hasn't like substitutes I have offered. He is allergic to nuts so my alternative flour options are limited to Gerbs Seeds made into flours and coconut flour. He is also allergic to eggs.

Also, for those of you who supplement with FCLO, how in god's green earth do you get that into a kid. I gag on it myself. I had to put it in capsules for myself. He is too little to swallow it. I have cinnamon tingle.

trying to clear up his skin. I know it goes back to some things in his diet.

Any ideas??
    or great recipes that do not include nut flours?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The child is 3. Start serving more meat and vegetables and stop serving things you don't want him to eat. He won't be hungry very long before he starts eating what's available.

If rice is okay, consider buying rice pasta at an Asian market. It's much cheaper and more like regular than the specialty product sold in health food stores.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Do tapioca flour and coconut flour pass muster? I've had good luck baking with both of those.

Overall, though, I agree with eKatherine: your kid will eat what you put in front of him. You're in charge, not him. You may have to deal with a week or two of tantrums and complaining but hunger will soon win out. And resetting his tastebuds away from the sugar/grain train this early in life will be one of the best gifts you can give him.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As to FCLO. My 3 year old drinks it mixed into his kefir smoothie. Never notices. Me and my five year old take the FCLO/HVBO combo (chocolate flavored) from green pastures straight up. He complained a little at first, but really not as much as I thought he would.

For food, I just try to make sure they eat meat and eggs with as much fruit and tators as they want.

Banana pancakes (one banana and two eggs fried up in butter) are always a hit. Otherwise I sneak liver into smoothies and ground meat. My five year old is finally branching out and trying more and more varieties of meat. Three year old still will only eat things in burger form.... so only ground items for him.

Mldami is offline Senior Member
    There is a chocolate flavored FCLO? Hmmm. I have a LOT of Cinnamon Tingle to get through first, I supposed.

He is allergic to eggs, so many of the baked good-type items are out because they are egg heavy. We do pretty well at home, I guess, but it is when he is out in the world that it is tough. He is already 'The allergy kid' in his group. But I know I just need to do a better job as a whole. Just making sure he has snacks ready that aren't chock full of wheat.

I need a good coconut flour cracker that has cheese in it. Get those darn Cheez-its out of the way! Hahaha. now that I am thinking about it, probably just cheese and coconut flour, salt would probably do it.

I am lucky that he naturally leans towards this way of eating. He doesn't like bread and most sweets (except for chocolate.. which is luckily dark chocolate since most are cross-contaminated with nuts). He does LOVE chip-type foods. Crunchy and salty kind of kid.

My daughter, on the other hand, is another story. Oof!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    I have an extremely picky 4 and a half year old and it's been a little tough making the switch. I'm not even trying to make her be primal, I'd be happy to just get her gluten free! Her eczema has been so bad this winter she's left scars from scratching so hard

So far after 6 failed pancake recipes / gluten free mixes I found one she loves, it's king Arthur's flour gluten free pancake mix. She was also a huge pretzel eater and I tried to replace with GF pretzels but she doesn't like them. Instead I found potato chips at trader joes that's only ingredients are: potatoes, olive oil, and salt. I try to give her the fruits she's likes, grapes and peeled apples, she won't touch vegetables so I grate zucchini very finely and put it in her pancakes. I do buy tinkyada rice noodles and make her Mac and cheese (so easy , shredded cheddar, pat of butter, splash of milk)with it and she loves it. Also nitrate free hots dogs, deli meat, and cheese. I cut out all juice and tell her she is only allowed milk or water and she didnt mind so that was easy.

It's hard when you didn't start primal from the second they start eating solids, a mistake I will not be making with baby #2, now all we can do is try to fix the mistakes we made when we didnt know any better. :/
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    My 3yo just eats what we all eat. Our one cop-out is that he is allowed to eat ricies for breakfast (with yoghurt, raw milk and cream). Then the kids fry themselves some bacon and/or eggs for lunch, or graze on cheese, jerky, fruit and nuts. His kindy lunch today was: cheese, banana, apple, tomato. Dinner is just eating what we eat.

Looking that the OP, with eggs and nuts out, that does restrict things a little. I would make sure you have a wide range of fruit available (we go through a LOT of apples and bananas). Have a crack at making your own beef jerky (it's meat chewing gum!).

So far after 6 failed pancake recipes / gluten free mixes I found one she loves, it's king Arthur's flour gluten free pancake mix.
    The best 'pancake' we've found is this: mash a banana and and egg together, with a splash of vanilla essence. Spoon into muffin container, and bake like a muffin. Serve with whipped cream, yoghurt and a little sweetener (we use maple syrup). Scale the recipe to suit your appetite. Our family (2 adults, 3 kids) have that recipe x 7 for breakfast on saturdays.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-27-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    The best 'pancake' we've found is this: mash a banana and and egg together, with a splash of vanilla essence. Spoon into muffin container, and bake like a muffin. Serve with whipped cream, yoghurt and a little sweetener (we use maple syrup). Scale the recipe to suit your appetite. Our family (2 adults, 3 kids) have that recipe x 7 for breakfast on saturdays.
    Totally tried the egg and banana pancakes first and while I liked it, she hates bananas and spit it out after one bite. Also anything using almond flour or coconut seems to disgust her as well. As long as she likes the gluten free mix instead of the wheat version I'm content.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I use recipes from "art of gluten free baking" and we have loved every one so far. She has a cracker recipe on there that only uses 1 egg. I'm not sure if that would be okay? My kids and hubby love them and are asking when I'll make more. They taste pretty close to goldfish (I think better since they're fresher). She has some great other ideas on there as well to get rid of wheat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast