Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragic CW and SAD Recipes page 8

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh, I thought of another recipe my mom used to make.

You take a loaf of unsliced white bread. Cut off all the crust, leaving a white rectangular block.
    Then cut into three section parallel to the table - like you would cut something to make a layer cake.

Now your imagination can go wild, but generally the bottom layer would have chopped ham from a can, the middle layer would have egg salad, and the top would be cream cheese (softened with a little milk) and olives. Use remaining cream cheese/milk to "frost" the sides. Quite the presentation, and your guests will think you've spent hours preparing it! LOL, I hated that stuff.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    That sounds good! Use fresh fruit and the only problematic ingredient is the marshmallows.
    You can pry marshmallows out of my cold, dead hands. But the only time I eat them now is when im camping or making my grandmother's holiday fudge recipe (double the butter, half the sugar ;D)

I was trying to think of bizarre CW recipes that I used to eat and I think Im actually somewhat fortunate in that I didnt really cook before going paleo so I never had any interest in any of those damn fool recipes. I certainly ate a lot of frozen Trader Joes packaged meals, which are filled with sugar and soy and blaaargh.

One thing I remembered, though, comes from my freshman year of college. a friend of mine on the hall was vegan, and she was pretty much the first exposure I had to veganism. Luckily she wasnt vegangelical about it--she was clear that her opinion was eat whatever you want and dont be a dick about it--but whenever she talked about what she was eating, it was saturated with the feelings that come from the "health halo" surrounding vegan diets. So, subconsciously, that association started to leak into my brain.

This one time, we were all in the hall eating some snacks, and she turned us on to Trader Joe's "cats cookies" (basically small sugar cookies shaped like cats) and premade, tubbed frosting (kinda like those "Dunkaroos" snacks, anyone remember those?). We sat around dipping the cookies in the frosting and raving about how it was surprisingly vegan. No one explicitly said outloud that it was healthy, but the subconscious feeling was definitely there.

Luckily this friend is not vegan anymore. Shes not paleo, but im working on it.

Edit: LOL, i just remembered, this OTHER friend of mine went vegan later in college and became addicted to Trader Joe's chocolate covered raspberry sticks (which is unsurprising, because, well, they are super delicious). She would go through a tub of them within a week. Another friend of mine suggested maybe she should ease up on them. Her response? "But theyre VEGAN!!"
    Last edited by Corvidae; 03-29-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have to keep the marshmallows hidden in my bedroom closet so my boyfriend doesn't eat them all in a sitting. Scary.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oh, I thought of another recipe my mom used to make.

You take a loaf of unsliced white bread. Cut off all the crust, leaving a white rectangular block.
    Then cut into three section parallel to the table - like you would cut something to make a layer cake.

Now your imagination can go wild, but generally the bottom layer would have chopped ham from a can, the middle layer would have egg salad, and the top would be cream cheese (softened with a little milk) and olives. Use remaining cream cheese/milk to "frost" the sides. Quite the presentation, and your guests will think you've spent hours preparing it! LOL, I hated that stuff.
    Now if you just made that with a loaf of Richard's Free The Animal Fat Bread and used some real (not canned) meat, it might be pretty awesome.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    I guess this isn't really that bizarre, but when I was a kid if I wanted something for breakfast other than cereal or a bagel i would dump some boxed pancake or cake mix into a bowl, add some water, maybe some chocolate chips or sprinkles, and microwave it till it was fluffy. Then I'd top it with either loads of syrup or canned frosting and scarf the whole thing down. I remember it being pretty good if I mixed it right, but sometimes it came out like a gummy, rubbery sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeera View Post
    I guess this isn't really that bizarre, but when I was a kid if I wanted something for breakfast other than cereal or a bagel i would dump some boxed pancake or cake mix into a bowl, add some water, maybe some chocolate chips or sprinkles, and microwave it till it was fluffy. Then I'd top it with either loads of syrup or canned frosting and scarf the whole thing down. I remember it being pretty good if I mixed it right, but sometimes it came out like a gummy, rubbery sponge.
    I think it's bizarre.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Now if you just made that with a loaf of Richard's Free The Animal Fat Bread and used some real (not canned) meat, it might be pretty awesome.
    Well, it put me well ahead of the "deconstruction" trend. LOL. Lower layer off and given to little brother. Top two layers separated and eaten each on it's own.

Zeena, nothing like a gummy, rubbery sponge for breakfast. LOL

Other Mommy hors d'oeuvres. Dips. Can of clams, cream cheese, sour cream (actually not bad, except now we know all the additives in the second two items). Frozen spinach, onion soup mix, cream cheese, sour cream (see clam dip). Oh and ones I really actually loved: Ritz crackers with cream cheese topped with one of the following: smoked oysters, smoked clams, anchovies, or a stuffed olive. Honestly if I could come up with a primal Ritz cracker, I could live on those.

And because the nut doesn't fall far from the tree, Mommy's daughter (that would be I) had a fall back thing that I used to bring to parties or meetings: Frozen spinach, Knorr veggie soup mix, mayonnaise, cream cheese, and seasonings - wait for it - all served in a hollowed out round loaf of French bread. It was actually a great hit because so many people brought sweets. I know that Knorr must use some bad stuff in their dry soup mixes because even Whole Foods won't carry them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

pfair143 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I still remember the first time I saw Vitamine Water.
    I remember running across 'Diet Water' of all things. Gave me and my husband the sillies all day. We would just look at each other and start laughing.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think it's bizarre.
    I think most Americans wouldnt agree with you, because there are slews of recipes that basically accomplish the same thing:

Microwave Chocolate Mug Brownie Recipe - Food.com - 349246
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    I think most Americans wouldnt agree with you, because there are slews of recipes that basically accomplish the same thing:
    What I think is bizarre is not the fact that cooking was done in the microwave, but the assortment of goo involved.

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast