Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragic CW and SAD Recipes page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It reminded me of those Land O lakes turkey rolls my mom used to make that kind of had the texture of ground up turkey that might have had some feathers still in it.
    Oh, but the feathers are the best part. Everybody needs their fiber!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    So, I made that Dr. Pepper cake with some heritage Dr. Pepper and vanilla extract with gelatin and I have to say it blew my mind. Lived up to expectations and then some. Thanks guy for posting that.
    nihil

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Any Mexican food made post low-fat movement. My Nana now makes re-fried beans with skim-milk cheese, canola oil instead of lard, and with bits of soy "chorizo". Gotta say, doesn't taste bad but when you know whats in it- yuck. They often put these beans on white bread for breakfast and its "healthy". Tortillas made with hydrogenated vegetable oil, again instead of lard, with battered fish (soda cracker crumbs and egg whites for the batter) that was deep fried in canola oil to make fish tacos. Its served with Spanish (canola oil) fried rice, and the previously mentioned "healthy" re-fried beans. Its sad because despite all their effort, trying to be healthier and all, they are all of course as overweight and unhealthy as ever. I don't think I could sell them primal though, unfortunately. They would have to change everything.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Growing up in California with a European mother I never knew that Jello could be considered a "salad" until I visited the Midwest. It was on this same trip that I saw sugar being spooned on top of spaghetti like you would Parmesan. It was an eye opening experience.
    I'm glad this isn't just me. I grew up with one Southern and one European parent (who has an affinity for spicy food) and eating at the houses of friends who had moved from the Midwest was always such a disgusting experience. Even the desserts weren't good because they had no flavor besides sugar.
    Not that Southern food is that much better healthwise, the thing about everything being breaded is true, but at least some of it tastes good.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    How about the "apple" pie made with plain ritz crackers?? And no apples:O So pie crust (grains) with crackers (grains) and some spices. Yumm It actually kind of tasted good at the time.
    I've actually incorporated this recipe into a chemistry lesson-plan before, it's really interesting. The tart apple taste comes from cream of tartar, which goes through a chemical reaction during the cooking to make the taste. The crackers are just to give it a thickness.

What I've heard is this recipe became popular in like the 30s or 40s when apple distribution was sparse/apples were expensive because of the depression/war effort, or that it was a replacement recipe for when apples werent in season.

Also, just re: the whole jello salad thing, I grew up in California and my family makes jello salads, and I still have a strange fondness for them. Granted we usually only had/have them in "salad" form as a palette cleanser between courses during Thanksgiving or other special occasion dinners, and its a small serving. If one was to make an entire dish of the stuff and bring it for a potluck or something then we'd consider it a dessert.

Also, before all the fake sweeteners and artificial dyes and BS, the whole idea of the fruity jello salad was an evolution of meat-based aspics like headcheese and such, which are highly paleo.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    Any Mexican food made post low-fat movement. My Nana now makes re-fried beans with skim-milk cheese, canola oil instead of lard, and with bits of soy "chorizo". Gotta say, doesn't taste bad but when you know whats in it- yuck. They often put these beans on white bread for breakfast and its "healthy". Tortillas made with hydrogenated vegetable oil, again instead of lard, with battered fish (soda cracker crumbs and egg whites for the batter) that was deep fried in canola oil to make fish tacos. Its served with Spanish (canola oil) fried rice, and the previously mentioned "healthy" re-fried beans. Its sad because despite all their effort, trying to be healthier and all, they are all of course as overweight and unhealthy as ever. I don't think I could sell them primal though, unfortunately. They would have to change everything.
    This just makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    I've actually incorporated this recipe into a chemistry lesson-plan before, it's really interesting. The tart apple taste comes from cream of tartar, which goes through a chemical reaction during the cooking to make the taste. The crackers are just to give it a thickness.

What I've heard is this recipe became popular in like the 30s or 40s when apple distribution was sparse/apples were expensive because of the depression/war effort, or that it was a replacement recipe for when apples werent in season.

Also, just re: the whole jello salad thing, I grew up in California and my family makes jello salads, and I still have a strange fondness for them. Granted we usually only had/have them in "salad" form as a palette cleanser between courses during Thanksgiving or other special occasion dinners, and its a small serving. If one was to make an entire dish of the stuff and bring it for a potluck or something then we'd consider it a dessert.

Also, before all the fake sweeteners and artificial dyes and BS, the whole idea of the fruity jello salad was an evolution of meat-based aspics like headcheese and such, which are highly paleo.
    Thanks for the food history! That is really interesting.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    perfectly timed thread!!!

I just received a 'share' on my facebook from an acquaintance. Her recipe du jour: Dr. Pepper cake!!

1 box white cake mix
    1 box instant vanilla pudding mix
    3/4 cup canola oil
    10 oz dr. pepper.....

then you make a glaze using more of the Dr. pepper and some other stuff.

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.
    It's the current popular "thing" to do to bake, especially cake mixes, with soda pop... /facewall

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Growing up in California with a European mother I never knew that Jello could be considered a "salad" until I visited the Midwest. It was on this same trip that I saw sugar being spooned on top of spaghetti like you would Parmesan. It was an eye opening experience.
    ya, Americans are really really good at bastardizing food in horrendous ways... part of our ongoing health problems and why people think snickers salad sounds like a good idea :/

sorry for double post but I wanted to subscribe to the thread

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I should make a cake. But that's not it.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've NEVER liked Jell-o or any of it's kin. Fake flavors remind me of cough syrup and the texture if Jell-o is just off putting. My mom used to serve us Jello with fruit in it as dessert. I'd dig out the poor defenseless fruit and hand my sisters the Jell-o. They'd dig out the fruit and hand it to me.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast