Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 366

Thread: Tragic CW and SAD Recipes page 20

  1. #191
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,948
    Primal Fuel
    Home made biscuits, fresh out of the oven are delicious. Buttery and fluffy and melt in your mouth.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  2. #192
    Bifcus's Avatar
    Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canberra, Australia.
    Posts
    154
    Just read this whole thread. Trying not to laugh (or vomit) at work.

    Thinking of how you all diss the Jello creations, you wouldn't have liked my family.

    Flummery:
    Make up a packet of flavoured Aeroplane Jelly (= Jello) and partly set.
    Whip a cold can of evaporated milk in electric beater, add nearly set jelly and continue beating until it is all fluffy. Put in glass bowl. Refrigerate till fully set.

    Serve with canned fruit. Absolute favourite desert when I was young.

    Some of those Jello salads actually don't sound unsalvageable - but the pictures are out of fashion making them look unpalatable. I assume the savoury ones actually use plain gelatine, rather than flavoured jelly? I have made dishes that involved lots of cream and sour cream or cream cheese, with ham and herbs and very lightly set with gelatine, and they tasted jolly good. And totally Paleo (assuming good choices of raw ingredients). Pity about the bread that always accompanied them.

    Of course, my most legendary gelatine creation involved using a sparkling white wine and apple juice as the liquid, and setting it with lots of fresh fruit (not pineapple) so when it turned out you get the pretty fruit effect (took all day to get the fruit placed just right). Livened up the party nearly as well as the year I made Rose (wine) soup. Just don't serve to kids.

    Actually, I still like Jelly. A recent concoction involved using plain gelatine to set thick coconut milk mixed with lime juice and finely grated rind and just a tiny bit of honey. Set in molds and turn out to serve with fruit for a yummy paleo desert.

    And unlike the Kiwi's I do remember getting some frozen whipped cream substitute for a while in the 70s. It didn't sell well and disappeared quite quickly. It came in a blue tub.

  3. #193
    Owen's Avatar
    Owen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    782
    Do you have a cream substitute product in the US called elmlea? Very popular here. Amazing that people still think it's healthier to eat that than cream.

  4. #194
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,948
    1/2 cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 cans (16.3 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired 1/2 cup raisins, if desired 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

    Please make sure to use margarine when you prepare this awesome breakfast treat.

    From the comments section- I love the modifications to make it even sweeter.... and yet bacon and eggs are considered some kind of an unhealthy breakfast....:

    greatest & easiest recipe ever!! i add 2 boxes butterscotch pudding to sugar mix!! So you added sugar to your sugar?

    My family has made and enjoyed Monkey Bread for many, many years. We add a generous squirt of corn syrup to the brown sugar and butter and cook it until it's frothy before pouring over the biscuits. It makes a better, gooey caramel sauce. Yummm, I want some right now! ) I love that the smiley looks fat. But I bet these people are skinny.

    These were so easy to make and awesome! I made cream cheese icing on the side and it was great with this monkey bread! Well, at least you are getting calcium!

    What did I do wrong?! I followed the instructions exactly, but my monkey bread just wouldn't cook in the center. I put it back in repeatedly, but some was still doughy. I took it out and discarded the doughy part. The part that was cooked was tasty. I put some in a bowl and topped it with whipped cream. My husband liked it. Maybe it not cooking up was a sign from God to have some bacon and eggs and make hubby a nice rib eye(really, whipped cream? Or Cool Whip?)

    Just made this for my son and threw in chocolate chips as I layered. Amazing! Will try adding marshmallows for a s'mores treat next time. He loved it with his Mountain Dew, but has behavioral problems and needs his Ritalin. And can't seem to shed his baby fat.
    Last edited by magnolia1973; 05-02-2013 at 06:35 AM.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  5. #195
    Betty_Groker's Avatar
    Betty_Groker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    This isn't necissarily a recipe, but I was at a beloved southern cookin' restaurant in Texas, where I grew up. My grandparents love the place, as well as almost everyone I know. I thought I'd be able to order something there, but no. Literally, everything was breaded and deep fried: deep fried okra, onion rings, fried green tomatoes, chicken fried steak, etc. Theres also a designated "roll throw'r" who tosses baked rolls at you anytime you call him over. He also passed out sweet flavored muffins. I tried to order a salad, but once you take off the croutons an cheese and ranch dressing, it was just iceberg lettuce and sad tomatoes. Instead of forcing myself to have something I'd regret, I just enjoyed my company and passed on the food. It still blows my mind that *everything* was breaded!
    The potato patch!!! Holy crap, we used to go there all the time I'm still in Texas pretty close to that restraunt. And yeah, it's pretty much fried and breaded everything. The roll thrower is pretty cool though, it was my favorite part of the place as a kid (and I never wanted to EAT what he threw at me, just catch them. lol!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    This totally sounds like the place we went for dinner last night. We are on vacation in Florida and Disney resort food is not very primal. We went to Cocoa beachfront a few days and tried to find a great Sea food place. The best rated place was totally packed and we had a wait even with reservations. The food was total crap like out of a box almost TV dinner style. I asked for pecan encrusted cod with butter sauce as I was told that it was wild caught. It came breaded ( WTF?), and the vege side was soggy like it sat in water all day. It feels like we're spending thousands of dollars on a vacation to go slumming it. I'm so spoiled by the good food I make at home and am so grateful that I can cook from scratch with healthy ingredients while the most of the US thinks this crap food is good!
    I hate that feeling, We went to a "famous" steak place here in Austin a few months ago, and of course got the steak! We were wanting to treat ourselves for finally getting the apartment unpacked. It was horrible, way oversalted/seasoned, not even close to med-rare, had some horrible "cheese" "bacon" and salt crap piled on top (not in the description, I assure you) The veggies were covered in rancid oil and limp. It was the worst food we'd tasted in a LONG time. We complained, didn't pay. Ran by the store and got raw steak, an hour later we were eating REAL food at home My boyfriend now refuses to get steak when we go out because it's way too expensive and we know I can cook a better one at home anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    1/2 cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 cans (16.3 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired 1/2 cup raisins, if desired 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

    Please make sure to use margarine when you prepare this awesome breakfast treat.
    We made Monkey-Bread all the time while I was growing up. chop-up canned biscuits, mix with melted-margarine/sugar/cinnamon, bake. omg, so unhealthy but I remember loving it at the time.




    My contributions:

    "home-made donuts" by my mother
    You will need: CHEAP biscuits from a can (doesn't work with the fancy ones!), a pot full of vegetable oil, a bowl full of powdered sugar and a shot glass (yeah, seriously).
    Lay the biscuits flat on the counter, use a shot glass to make the "donut hole", fry the donuts and donut holes in the pot of oil, cover with powdered sugar. EAT!


    "fat free and healthy cake" by my mother
    You will need: premade angel food cake (fat free!!), strawberries, bananas, pre made strawberry pie filling (fat free!!), Instant Vanilla pudding - preped (fat free!!), Cool Whip (fat free!!)

    pull apart angel food cake, and put it in a serving bowl, chop strawberries and bananas, mix with cake, drizzle the strawberry pie filling and pudding throughout the mixture. cover with cool whip and decorate with sliced fruit on top.
    Last edited by Betty_Groker; 05-02-2013 at 08:13 AM.
    One step, one decision, and one change at a time leads to a total transformation.

  6. #196
    Catherine's Avatar
    Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    OK... question from Scotland... what is a tablescape?
    just google Sandra Lee and prepare to be amazed.

    her "semi-homemade" recipes are legendary for their offense to good sense or taste. She has these ridiculous tablescapes (setting the table gone over the top) and even better - her entire kitchen is redesigned for every episode. I love it how there's always a perfectly matching kitchen aid mixer no matter what the color scheme.

  7. #197
    Catherine's Avatar
    Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    969
    personally i've always thought pecan pie was one of the most tragic recipes ever. Take some perfectly delicious shelled pecans, put them in a store-bought pie crust, pour freaking karo syrup over it all, bake. serve with cool whip, of course. disgusting. But my whole family and even my husband thinks i'm weird b/c i think it's awful, always have. And cool whip has always made me gaggy at the thought. even real whipped cream sounds gross to me. it's the baby food consistency, i think.

    actually i don't know if that's how you make pecan pie, that's just what i observed as a kid in the kitchen.

  8. #198
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Groker View Post
    "fat free and healthy cake" by my mother
    You will need: premade angel food cake (fat free!!), strawberries, bananas, pre made strawberry pie filling (fat free!!), Instant Vanilla pudding - preped (fat free!!), Cool Whip (fat free!!)

    pull apart angel food cake, and put it in a serving bowl, chop strawberries and bananas, mix with cake, drizzle the strawberry pie filling and pudding throughout the mixture. cover with cool whip and decorate with sliced fruit on top.
    That is an absolute atrocity! And I'm pretty sure my step-mother used to make something very similar.
    Angel food cake, vanilla pudding, cherry pie filling, cool whip... sprinkle the top with coconut.
    Even as a kid I thought it was disgustingly sweet and goopy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    personally i've always thought pecan pie was one of the most tragic recipes ever. Take some perfectly delicious shelled pecans, put them in a store-bought pie crust, pour freaking karo syrup over it all, bake. serve with cool whip, of course. disgusting. But my whole family and even my husband thinks i'm weird b/c i think it's awful, always have. And cool whip has always made me gaggy at the thought. even real whipped cream sounds gross to me. it's the baby food consistency, i think.

    actually i don't know if that's how you make pecan pie, that's just what i observed as a kid in the kitchen.
    IMO, there is good pecan pie, and BAD pecan pie. And 99.9% of the pecan pies in the world are BAD pecan pies.
    Huge layers of ultra sweet, so bad it hurts your teeth, custard and just a single thin layer of nuts on top... no depth of flavor at all, just flat, plain sweetness. Ugh! (...and yes, made in some crappy store bought crust.)
    A proper pecan pie has a LOAD of nuts, a thin layer of mildly sweet custard, and is properly spiced and bourbon-ed for excellent depth/complexity of flavor...and is freaking delicious!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  9. #199
    Lizzielou's Avatar
    Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I'm not understanding your point. Is it that everyone in the world who eats things you are unfamiliar with is lazy? That things you are unfamiliar with must be gross?

    Yeah, we know that wheat is bad. I haven't eaten it for a decade. But it rubs me the wrong way that you are dissing American food you have zero familiarity with, just because.
    I don't need to be familiar with American cuisine to know that shiny white lumps from a can are something I personally find disgusting and would not want to eat. I am actually well travelled and we are moving to Brunei in June so I am not afraid to try things I am unfamiliar with, I love trying new foods. What is not lazy about feeding your family something from a tin + jar of sauce + grated cheese? I've had two kids, and my second was very unwell as a baby so I know what its like to be pushed for time and energy to cook, from time to time I might have fed my kids similar type easy meals but I'd never boast about it, nor put photo's on a blog and encourage others to eat food like that.

    Not a comment on American food at all, but they don't call it SAD for nothing. Some of the crap coming from NZ tables is anything to be proud of and I'm more than happy to start complaining about that too.

  10. #200
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    I don't need to be familiar with American cuisine to know that shiny white lumps from a can are something I personally find disgusting and would not want to eat. I am actually well travelled and we are moving to Brunei in June so I am not afraid to try things I am unfamiliar with, I love trying new foods. What is not lazy about feeding your family something from a tin + jar of sauce + grated cheese? I've had two kids, and my second was very unwell as a baby so I know what its like to be pushed for time and energy to cook, from time to time I might have fed my kids similar type easy meals but I'd never boast about it, nor put photo's on a blog and encourage others to eat food like that.

    Not a comment on American food at all, but they don't call it SAD for nothing. Some of the crap coming from NZ tables is anything to be proud of and I'm more than happy to start complaining about that too.
    I'm sure you've never eaten anything in your life that someone unfamiliar with your cuisine could have looked at and said, "I don't know what that is, I don't want to know, but for sure it's disgusting! What's wrong with THOSE PEOPLE?"

    Just as I'm sure you've never eaten anything round and white in your life.

    It's an attitude I've run into everywhere. Very provincial.

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •