Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragic CW and SAD Recipes page 16

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    we also were good at fried cheese sandwiches, sometimes with baloney.
    I still love fried bologna, though I keep it at a minimum. With fried eggs on a sourdough baguette - probably fewer than five times a year, but every once in awhile, I love visiting my childhood.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    sounds good to me!

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I know it's an accomplishment to bring some sort of food to a party and go home with an empty pan.
    When I want to bring home an empty pan I make jalapeno poppers - nearly paleo, actually low carb, and 3 ingredients.

Also pretty inexpensive; jalapenos about $1/lb, 8 oz cream cheese on sale $1, bacon $3-4/lb; I am also NOT a skilled cook yet so it's also a very safe way to bring something delicious that can't fail to taste good; it's just labor and time intensive to split and core the jalapeno halves, fill with cream cheese, and then wrap each in 1/2 slice bacon (& secure bacon on with toothpicks). cook at 425 F till bacon pretty well done ~30min, on a rack to get air all around them to cook evenly; and the jalapeno spiked bacon grease is great for later uses. When I make some to bring somewhere I have to make 2-3 racks full because they go pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Oddly, Livestrong has 2 Tbl of cool whip at 45 calories, and 2 Tbl of real whip cream at 35 calories.
    That's the irony; all these products out there to replicate actually wholesome foods end up being far worse AND of inferior quality to the real thing; also for instance "creamer" vs. half and half; real half and half you don't need very much to do the trick and the taste and texture can't really be replicated adequately anyway; meanwhile the creamers, if not full of hydrogenated trans fats (some are now using non-hydrogenated fats), all have so much sugar added that they end up having more calories than what they were meant to replace (like the cool whip). And likely most low information consumers still add additional sugar to their coffee when the creamer itself already has plenty of sugar... but if you aren't thinking about carbs it might seem ok to do so. Besides, good quality coffee isn't bitter and doesn't even require sweeter, half and half alone to cut the acidity is enough really imo.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    And even worse, a lot of people out there can't tell the difference between this and real whipped cream.
    I would guess that most people under 40 at this point still have never had actual real whipped cream, of if they did, they didn't know what it was. Everyone just uses Cool Whip and it never occurs to them that "whipped cream" is actually taking cream and whipping it yourself. Even my mom never made her own whipped cream probably ever, we only ever had Cool Whip in our house. These days you would have to be culinarily inclined to even have an idea what whipped cream is or any clue how to make it. Seems obvious to us who care about our diets and know something about food already, but most people out there have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    Probably always with margarine b/c honestly i didn't know that butter and margarine were different.
    My SO and I fight with our roommates about their really poor diet (they are the classic CW low-information consumers, she thinks "healthy" is adding canned vegetables to her box mac and cheese); they buy only walmart brand or dollar store everything, it's very frightening. We sent our roommate out for real japanese uncooked rice, he comes back with walmart brand instant rice, which is like a ghost of real rice; and reading the box, the instructions even say you can add a tablespoon of margarine and teaspoon of salt per cup of rice... processed food aiding and abetting processed food... it's like real butter doesn't even exist in the CW world anymore :/

Quote Originally Posted by abbyful View Post
    One of my coworkers made that Krispy Kreme bread pudding and brought it to work.

I usually like bread pudding, so I got some, not knowing what was in it yet. I dumped it in the trash when I got back to my desk, it was horrible!

Yet the office was buzzing with "Did you try that bread pudding? I need the recipe! She said it had Krispy Kreme donuts, how clever!"
    Facewall, when a facepalm is not enough...
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if this counts as a recipe, but I came accross this gem today:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...97533452_n.png
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    ... That looks like a waste of Doritos to me.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I don't think we have Cool Whip in the UK. We have spray cream which has sugar added (and of course comes in a low fat version, still full of sugar)which most people think is whipped cream. Actually it is yum.

Also there is this monstrosity with "33% less fat than cream":

ELMLEA DOUBLE LIGHT - ingredients

Buttermilk (75%), Vegetable oils (12%), Hydrogenated vegetable oil (11%), Buttermilk powder; Emulsifiers: E435, E322 (from soya); Stabilisers (E412, E410,E407); Colour E160a

GROSS. I didn't realise for years that it wasn't actually cream. Luckily I have never had the misfortune to eat it. I only realised a few years ago - picked it up by accident looked at it and did a little scream.

In the Czech Republic, there are fast foods and cheap canteens too. I cannot say, that average population here eats well. But I think that it slowly goes better.
    BUT, there is something deeply coded in our minds, especially of those peple with low incomes: to make as much food as possible from as cheap ingredients as possible. I think that it is a relict of WWII and then lack of food during the communism domination. In these times there were very limited sources, so mothers cooked from basic ingredients: flour, grains, potatoes, legumes, cheap cuts of meat, cheap veggies, the results were very simple dishes that fed whole family. Nothing wrong about that.
    Now, when everything is available and there are so much food everywhere, this habit takes form of incredible monstrosity. There are webpages and blogs about cheap recipes for whole family (kids! they feed kids with it!). If you combine tendency to cook from cheap ingredients with availability of cheap sodas, sweetened cereals, snacks, candies, you get for example this:

This is cooked pasty from flour, egg and water filled by HARIBO GUMMI BEARS!

j121781.jpg
    This is savory pudding from white buns, milk, eggs and cheap sausage

Pizza from white buns, ham and cheese

pancakes filled by ketchup, ham and cheese, coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fried

Enough? (these most horrible recipes don't have pictures - fortunately)
    Attached Images Attached Images

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    OK, the gummy bear dumpling looks absolutely not delicious. I think that may win the award for nasty texture.....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    This is savory pudding from white buns, milk, eggs and cheap sausage
    Add cheese, and sadly, this looks good to me. I wouldn't make it but... Well maybe with tapioca Brazilain cheese bread.

I found this here: Soup Glop on Toast | Bad Food Blog

Hot Soup Glop on Toast

Good hard hot toasted bread
    1 can tuna
    1 can cream of anything soup
    1 can peas

Open the cans and mix it all together. Heat it up. Put the toast on plates and divide up the glop for however many people there are. I find that if you have extra people you can make extra toast and be more frugal with the glop and nobody complains. If the glop looks like its gonna run out sooner, thin it with milk or water but not too much or the toast gets soggy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Found this gem on my Facebook feed. The author stresses how "light" it is (because you're using Cool Whip, none of that unhealthy real cream nonsense) like 3 times. Meanwhile, just looking at it is giving my eyeballs diabetes.

"This is for YOU, the chocolate lover out there who is looking for a chocolate-y treat that is actually quite light! Chocolate Lasagna is a dessert you don’t want to miss!

When Ryan told me that this fabulous Chocolate Lasagna ranks up there on his list of favorite desserts of all time, I knew I had to share it with you. Just looking at the layers upon layers of goodness, you can tell it’s going to be worth salivating over!

You will begin with the crust which consists of crushed Oreos mixed with a little butter. You will want to use regular Oreos versus the Double Stuff variety and you’ll need all 36 cookies that come in a typical package of Oreos (minus the 1 or 2 or 3 that you are obligated to sample before crushing them…).

chocolate-lasagna-3.jpg

After pressing the cookie/butter mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, you’ll get working on the layers! What I love about this recipe is that the layers are actually quite light. Maybe not in calories, but this dessert will NOT sit in your stomach like a brick like some desserts!

The first layer is a white layer which consists of cream cheese that you’ve whipped until fluffy, sugar, a little milk, and some Cool Whip. Not whipped cream, Cool Whip! Once that’s spread over the chocolate-y Oreo crust, you’ll prep the chocolate layer!

chocolate-lasagna-4.jpg

The chocolate layer is simply chocolate pudding. Seriously, how easy is that? You will need two boxes of chocolate instant pudding. Make sure it’s instant pudding guys, and not the cook and serve variety. I didn’t realize that I had bought the cook and serve kind, so I sat there whisking and whisking…. and whisking the mixture waiting for it to thicken up and it never did. Then I realized what I had done and had to make an emergency trip to the grocery store to buy instant pudding!

At any rate, once the pudding has thickened up a bit, you’ll spread it over the white layer. Yum yum. At this point, let it rest for about five minutes before continuing on to the next step.

chocolate-lasagna-5.jpg

The very last layer is simply a little more Cool Whip that you’ll spread over the top. Because this is Chocolate Lasagna, I figured I’d throw in just a bit more chocolate to complete the experience of Chocolate Lasagna, so I sprinkled a bunch of mini chocolate chips on top. It was the perfect addition!

If you’re familiar with the Chocolate Lasagna that Olive Garden serves (served? I hear they no longer sell it), this is nothing like it. Their layers were more cake-like while this Chocolate Lasagna is just light and fluffy layers of pudding, and Cool Whip with a little cream cheese mixed in.

We really loved this Chocolate Lasagna. Each layer complimented the next just perfectly! And, it makes a big 9 x 13 inch pan so that you will have plenty for sharing. Oh, and did I mention that it’s a no-bake treat? I love it when I come across a fantastic treat that requires no oven! Enjoy!"

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast