Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden plans? page

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member

Garden plans?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, gardening is extremely Neolithic (or late Mesolithic) HOWEVER it's good for you.

For those of us in the Northern 'sphere, spring's coming and it is time to think gardening.

I have recently moved into a town home that has a few places of dirt (the largest one which doesn't ever seem to get direct sunlight, unfortunately). I am planning to try chard in the non-direct area, to see how that goes down. My primary garden will actually be in container form. I am planting basil in these buckets, and perhaps trying potatoes. Basil's for pesto. Many of the local farmers seem to do well with Basil, and the farmers markets always have a bunch but more is better because pesto.

Also, I have a tree that was by someone planted (unwisely) in a raised bed. Depending how how badly that tree shades the area (I have only been there during the winter) I am thinking some rosemary (because it gets big and takes over, making a bare bed less unattractive). Not sure about the side bed, which has some hacked-up bushes and some scraggly rose bushes, but gets afternoon sun right on.

I live in a questionable part of a sketchy zip code, and I am trying to improve on what I have. What are you guys planning?

M.

gunnerbee is offline Junior Member
    I have a limited amount of space for gardening, but I just decided to use what was available- so I took a strip along the house that was otherwise bare and put in peppers, herbs and radishes. The herbs are working out great- they don't need a lot of space and add so much to your cooking.

Ah, peppers! I saved a bunch of seeds from commercial peppers (jalapeno and bell). I think they'll germinate, but I'm not sure they'll produce better peppers. Who knows what has been done to them?

M.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes. I bought some heritage seeds at a local farmers market and have been saving up egg cartons. My husband bought some planing soil. I'm now ready to start-plant them. They're all herbs, 8 different kinds.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    So southern hemisphere here and we are just harvesting the last of my summer planting but I love gardening so I'll share my successes with you.

I'd plant my lettuces in the the shaded area, particularly as the weather gets warmer. In the direct sun they go to seed and get bitter too soon. The potatoes will grow well no matter where you put them. I've had a good crop of garlic this year, again this is one that'll grow well in or out of the sun. Spring onions are an easy crop that you can directly sow into the soil from seed. Chilli's and tomatoes will grow well with your basil, although I struggle with tomatoes here as we get lots of rain so they get the rot too easily and I'm far too lazy to spray with copper as often as it needs.

One of my big successes this summer has been sweet corn - I know, not primal, but super yummy fresh from my own garden (and you can get heritage varieties). The corn takes up lots of space though so you'll need a decent size patch, I maximised my corn patch by planting beans and watermelon to wind around the bases of the corn.

Have fun!

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Wah hoo! I'm so excited to see a thread like this.

I have over 200 seedlings started at the moment, and I will be putting in another 100 or so here in a couple days. My garden is about an acre in size. I am so stoked and ready to get this fire burning! Last year was a miserable drought. It is looking a LOT better this year. Praying for a normal spring so my cold crops don't shrivel up in April. Yikes.

I can't tell ya'll how happy it makes me to see so many city folk carving out spots on their porches and mini lawns to plant food. Kudos to you all!
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I am doing two square feet garden plots. I have A LOT of trouble with tomatos. They always either get pests or wilt away. I am not planting the right ones for my area and am having a hard time finding out what will work here. I like growing lettuce because its easy and we eat a lot of it.

I have a flower bed in the back of my house where I grow herbs. The parsly, oregano and basil always get out of control and the chives grow all year long so thats a plus. I think I may also try sweet potatos here as well. Is it possible for me to just cut one up and bury the pieces? I have never grown them so I have no idea.

I've never started seedlings. I hope these peppers will sprout when given some soil and a takeout bin in the sun.

I had started some garlic last autumn in styrofoam cups. They began to grow greens, but they got some kind of mold and rotted. Ah well.

I'm going to try this "no dig" potato method using straw, soil and news paper: No Dig Potatoes.mp4 - YouTube

This is what I will implement in that above mentioned plot. It's very sad looking, with some surface roots from the above mentioned tree and very little ground cover. Also a very beaten up, poorly designed shed thing. Worst case scenario: The spuds fail, and I end up with a better soil.

M.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    I plant in containers on my balcony. Usually grow some chard, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, courgettes, peppers and chillies, romaine lettuce and some herbs and stuff.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Oh and last summer I saved some Scotch Bonnet seeds and planted them. The tree is growing quite quickly at the moment but no idea if they'll produce fruit. The seeds are from store bought chilies. Also for some fun I planted a lemon seed and the bloody thing is growing!

There's no excuse to not grow your own veg. It's a piece of piss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast