Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garden plans? page 2

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Agreed on there not being an excuse (short of physical inability). Even my cruddy parents, who never got along in anything, cooperated to make a garden.

In retrospect they were actually pretty good at it, but it wasn't until late in my stay with them that I took any special interest. It had been for me a reminder of our poverty, and back then I looked on the SAD of frequent eating out and store bought foods as living the high life! Then I got educated.

I do have a balcony and it was intended to be used for growing things in those hanging-off style containers. I was thinking more herbs or perhaps strawberries (I can pull the stems up if desired). It's north facing, which is apparently significant, but I don't think it gets direct sunlight during the day (I'm never around to really watch it).

M.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    We have a little bit of space, but I have a black thumb. This year, I'm trying to fill in the quarter round (again) to keep the neighbor's cat from shitting in it. Western exposure, so strong late day sun. Thinking onions, cacti, rosemary, and basil. I'll also restart the aloe the winter before last killed and maybe replant the pecan tree.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Roary is offline Senior Member
    I started containers last weekend ... herbs, tomatos, and peppers ... and a watermelon. We'll see. I live in the desert and I have no soil to speak of, hence the containers. I am historically not lucky with plants (translation: I neglect them) but I read Tomatoland over the winter and I'm determined to grow my own. It's warm enough I can probably go all year round.

Lettuce scares me for some reason. I think it's because I'm afraid I'll have too much and I don't love salads.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to try chard in containers. I've only had the grocery store type, which is fully mature leaves. These are rather gritty.

I'm also thinking strawberries would be good for hanging pots, though I'm sure the neighborhood kids would get to them before long.

It would be nice if I could grow some berries. Years ago living with my parents we had excessive amounts of raspberries in our yard (right next to the rabbit hutch, so I know some of the manure ran into it during rains). Out down a hill were blackberries, and naturally in between we had black raspberries.

Interesting thing to note: Raspberries, blackberries and especially blackraspberries seem to be cocaine to mosquitoes. Those three places always were thickest with them.

M.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Love gardening!
    I'll be planting various types of cucumbers and probably 2 cherry tomatoes. Not sure what else though.
    Trying to convince my husband to make a smaller garden area for me so I can plant smaller things like herbs, radish and whatever else.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12