Thread: Low Carb - Weight Loss Stalled page

bigalxyz is offline Junior Member

Low Carb - Weight Loss Stalled

Hello forum,

I eat a fairly strict low carb/paleo diet these days. Intake of sugar, starch and alcohol are very close to zero. Plenty of meat, nuts, dairy, non-starchy vegetables.

It worked well for a while - weight dropped, blood sugar numbers good (previous T2 diabetes diagnosis), cholesterol unchanged (not that I think cholesterol is a particularly interesting or useful thing to monitor!).

I still feel ok and my blood sugar is still spot on, but I'm not losing any weight any more - it has plateaued. I still probably have about 40 or 50 pounds I'd like to get rid of - it's not a HUGE amount (male, very tall, broad build) but is still very frustrating. I'm playing tennis 2 or 3 times a week too, which I really enjoy, but no impact on weight (then again, have read quite plausible explanations of how exercise makes very little difference to weight loss).

I do drink quite a lot of diet fizzy drinks though. Obviously there's no sugar in there but some still say that these can cause an insulin response (although opinion seems to be divided). Should I try to stop drinking this stuff?

What else could I change? What could I do better?

Should I try harder to increase the fat content of my (with butter, lard, olive oil, coconuts, etc.)?

Grateful for any advice/suggestions.

Thanks!
    Alan.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    I would totally drop the fizzy drinks and add weight lifting.
    What are your macro percentages? How many grams of carbs are you eating? Calories?
    Adding fat could help if it satiates you more which leads to less calorie consumption
    Eating less nuts helps too since they are caloric dense and don't really fill anyone up unless you consume handfuls. I would substitute them with avocado as a fat source.

Thank you. Noted re: fizzy drinks. Water and tea probably a lot healthier.

Not sure about macro percentages. Carbohydrate/sugar is close to zero, that's for sure. Not so sure re: protein/fat mix.

Confused re: nuts - it's hard for me to square the idea that eating more fat could help with the idea that calorific density is a problem - have I misunderstood something?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I suggest you start recording your food intake for a week or so on one of those diet sites that calculates your macros for you. A lot of people use myfitnesspal.

Nuts are easy to overeat. Really easy. Calories do count.

Thanks. I'm still puzzled though. If nuts are easy to overeat - is this because of their high fat content or for some other reason? If it's because of the high fat content then I should presumably avoid other very fatty foods - and yet this would swing my diet towards high protein instead (and can't high protein diets cause insulin spikes to some extent?).

A rough guess of the macronutrient split in terms of calories would be 30% protein/70% fat, if that helps. In terms of weight, that probably roughly equates to 50/50.
    Last edited by bigalxyz; 03-26-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalxyz View Post
    Thanks. I'm still puzzled though. If nuts are easy to overeat - is this because of their high fat content or for some other reason? If it's because of the high fat content then I should presumably avoid other very fatty foods - and yet this would swing my diet towards high protein instead (and can't high protein diets cause insulin spikes to some extent?).
    If your consumption of various foods pushes your calorie consumption too high, you will gain weight no matter how closely you have tweaked your macros.

DavidGomes is offline Junior Member

Red face

I think that it boils down to the fact that the artificial sweeteners used in diet drinks make you crave sweet - sugary things.

katiepotato is offline Member
    +1 on increasing fat, lifting heavy things and cutting out the fizzy drinks. You could give IF a try too.

If you are eating vegetables (even non-starchy ones) and nuts there must be some carbs in your macros - make sure you're factoring that in. Remember that Primal is not necessarily low-carb, and some people seem to do better when they include a small amount of sweet potato / butternut squash etc etc, so you could try that as a tweak too.

Also - remember weight loss is not linear! You don't say how long you have stalled for. If it is a short period, there might not be a need to change anything just yet. Sometimes it's as simple as just sticking with it.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Firstly cut the fizzy drink and drink water, green tea, green veggie juice

Secondly add good fat to your food

I also recommend a heavy weight training session once a week, total body in 30 minutes, following a 16 hour fast. Ideally, do a long steady walk or cycle on the day the fast begins, and do the weights session the next day on an empty stomach - this will burn lots of fat

then sleep and recover really well the rest of the week, keeping the carbs low

oooh, if you feel light headed or weak try eating coconut - creamed, or Organic Virgin Coco nut oil added to a smoothie - provides great instant energy

so, get moving, train hard on weights, cut fizzy drink, increase water, fast once a week, sleep well

let us know how you go