Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primally yours - My latest adventure page

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member

Primally yours - My latest adventure

Shop Now
    Good morning folks. I woke up this morning feeling a little groggy and tired due to my inconsistent sleep patterns (sick kids and the brain wouldn't shut off). Over the past few weeks I have been working hard at getting back into shape and getting the proper balance of food, workouts and sleep with moderate success and some failures.

I work in a very sedentary job (great paying but extremely stressful) where I talk on the phone all day and try to find great people to work in my hospitals. It may not seem stressful but managing 2 hospitals that are on opposite ends of the spectrum in processes gets old. I like my job, not love but like. I drive about 750 miles per week and after a little over a year I am growing tired of spending that much time in a car. I only mention this b/c well its starting to affect other aspects of my life. I don't see my kids or wife nearly enough, I take breaks from my nutritional plan and eat garbage b/c I am surrounded by it, I get lazy from sitting too long and moody from dealing with some not so smart people.

I already have a Primal Blueprint journal started but its time to start a new chapter, a fresh start. Last night as I lay thinking in bed about my life, my goals and everythig in between I started to realize that things were way out of balance and I need to make some serious changes. As for my diet, hate that word, I have completely cut out sodas, 90-95% processed foods, decided to prepare all of my own food - no more breakfast runs at 5 AM on the way to work, and no more candy. I have a gigantic sweet tooth but the more I read and more importantly what I see at the hospital has pushed me to make wholesale changes to better myself and those around me.

I have always been athletic. I started playing organized sports at 4 along with pick-up games in any sport available (basketball, football, soccer, etc). I love competition and the concept of a team. My parents put me in sports yearround to use up the enormous amount of energy I had (still have). I was the guy who played football, basketball, ran indoor track, played baseball (2 years) and ran outdoor track. I couldn't get enough until I screwed the pooch and my shoulder basically gave out. I over-extended myself with football (QB 7 on 7 drills in the spring) and baseball (pitcher/3rd base) and after only a year of college football I had shoulder surgery to fix a posterior dislocation along with my shredded rotator cuff and nerve damage. It never hurt that bad but when my arm went numb I knew I had to take a break for a day and then back to normal.

It took me 4 years to get over this surgery and then I finally joined the Army and spent 9 years travelling to the biggest shit holes on the planet. While I loved the traveling part I began to hate the beaurocracy. I longed for the good ole days of either combat or training. I loved the challenges it presented when its you and your team going after a target, storming a building or working together to accoplish the mission at hand. I miss those days but all the other crap you can keep. Blah, blah, blah.

Fast forward to today. I am a 33 yr old father of two with a slightly bad back, ridiculous work schedule and enough energy to power a small city. If I don't get up and do something my back tightens up, I get stressed and anxious. I fall into a bad pattern of not moving enough, getting distracted and making excuses. One would think that after realizing this I would get up, knock out some push-ups or squats to alleviate this but again bad patterns form and they can be hard to break.

I started to reread the Primal BluePrint along with other sites like www.madbarz.com, www.globalbodyweighttraining.com and youtube videos of Hannibal the King. The motivaiton is back and I feel like I am getting my house in order again. I have set up a 90 day challenge with certain benchmarks that I must hit. It is broken down into 30 day intervals b/c anyone can do anything for 30 days. The goal is to continuously build momentum and create the habits needed to move onto my next challenge of being able to muscle-ups and 1 arm push-ups. The ultimate goal would be to open a Family Practice/bodyweight gym that not only focuses on your physical health but also incorporates proper nutrition, classes on stress reduction and living a good life. First I have to start with myself and then I can focus on others.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

I am working out the details to the 90 day plan and will post it. I am always open to comments, suggestions.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    the more I read and more importantly what I see at the hospital has pushed me to make wholesale changes to better myself and those around me.
    Welcome. Dive in and get started. You won't regret it. I suggest you take some photos and measurements first, so you can track your changes.

Thank you. As for the photos thats not really my thing. I know it helps a lot of people but I am a very private person, outside of what I post. I love seeing other people's improvements but not so big on posting mine. Maybe I'll take some to start my 90 day experiment then one each 30 days to show improvement but we'll see about posting.

Current Measurements: 6', 193 lbs

Todays workout = 200 push-ups (variation), 250 squats (variation), 75 Dips, 50 pull-ups, walk 2 miles.

We started pricing out the equipment needed for our pull-up bar contraption and I think we can manage everything for under $150 which would be incredible. Our old gym membership was about $140 so it pays for itself in just one month. I found another awesome bodyweight website run by a MMA fighter who does nothing but bodyweights. His name is Simon Boulter and you can check him out at www.boultertraining.com.

It's a great day to be alive.

Mary Pickford

Good Morning. It is going to be a kick ass day and I can't wait to tackle it. My new motto is attack the day and plan on trying to do this with each and everything I do. Regardless of how stressful things can appear I know that if I do everything possible to achieve my goals then it was a day well lived.

Knocked out 190 push-ups, 220 squats and 75 pull-ups yesterday. I feel energized and well on my way in this first 30 days. We made a date for next Saturday to start construction of our new pull-up bar contraption in the backyard. I will post pictures when it is complete. The whole family is super pumped up about building the set and my son has asked for a pull-up bar where he can play so of course we're going throw in a side bar just for the kids. I plan on putting one in that can be raised as the kids grow older and taller.

Mary Pickford

Crabbcakes is online now Senior Member
    Hey Matt! Your journal name caught my attention - I'm doing the Appalachian thing, too, just several states north. I look forward to reading about your progress. The goal of a family practice - body weight gym sounds lovely, and I hope it works out for you.

And about that sweet tooth... I don't think there is a Southerner alive who doesn't have one. Heaven knows I battle mine. Go get 'em today!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Another lovely start to another great week. I hope everyone had as great a time over the Easter holidays as I did. Good times, good food and great people will make any weekend unforgettable.

This past weekend we had a garage sale as we're trying to slim down on all the crap we've somehow accumluated over the years. With Spring on the horizon and tons of projects I want to cpmplete I need the get rid of so much stuff to maximize what the space we have. Its liberating to take all that stuff to goodwill (someone else will get some use out of it) and come back and see an almost emplty garage. One of our goals is to get back to a simpler lifestyle where we don't have so many things. We make do with what we have and not blatantly buy more and mroe of somehting we already have.

As for this weekend I didn't really do any bodyweights outside of wrestling with my son, nephew and niece due to all the heavy lifting we did with the garage sale. We didn't sell much but reorganizing that place a was a workout unto itself. Today on the other hand I am continuing my base phase (week 2) of 150 push-ups, 200 squats, 50 lunges, 50 dips, 60 pull-ups and planks (5-10 minutes).

Every journey begins with a single step and I am trying my best not to fall into the same trap that always dooms me. I typically start a program and then want to jump almost immediately into expert level which while I can probably do to some degree but this time is more about building a solid foundation then running with it full speed ahead. Onvce my base month si complete then I'll jump inot more progressive exercises and I'll have my pull-up bar with the parallel bars in the backyard by then so watch out!

Mary Pickford

What an outstanding day. I woke this morning a little sick from a nasty little bug my son brought home from daycare but still feel pretty positive. Despite being a little sick I feel amazing. Work has gone extremely well after I reanalyzed how I spent my time during the day and now I have become more efficient with less stress and more productivity. I am in a new kind of place right now in regards to my life and how I want to live it.

I started my 90 day routine and while I will admit to starying a little off course (damn candy) I am sticking to it pretty well. I have dedicated more effort to a better sleep schedule, stopped drinking soft drinks, only 1 cup of coffee (black), working out (bodyweight only) on a very consistent basis while maintaining a very good diet (outside of candy) and I can already see and feel a huge difference. I have created new workout routines that give me the freedom to explore new moves, variations that keep me excited and challenged. I have a basic routine in regards ot the type of exercises like pull-ups (favorite), squats, dips, push-ups, lunges, etc but I master a move and then throw in something new to try.

I began writing my workouts out in order to work on them and improve them for my new client. Well its not really a client per se (neighbor) but I am bartering my workouts to him for work on our house. We're going to build a deck with a shed underneath for extra storage in exchange for 3 months of working out together. Seems like a pretty good deal considering I get to help and learn how to build a deck and he gets a workout partner. The goal is to use my time with him to work on my presentation, learn what works and what doesn't and run with it for future clients. THe idea of being able to help other people by doing somehting I love to do is a dream for myself.

Mary Pickford

Recovering from the weekend this morning and starting to feel like I am getting back to normal. I woke up yesterday with the worst migrane and nasuea to the point of extreme dry heaving. I hate being sick btu this gives me all the more reason to truly focus on my nutrition and rest cycles. At times I burn both ends of the candle and eventually pay the price.

I have started writing down my workouts and my goal is to create a solid program of bodyweight exercises that take give a great cardio workout, build leab muscles and keep muscle confusion at a high.

Saturdays workout: I broke down my workouts into 3 minutes intervals with 1minute rest breaks in between. The goal is to eventually lead up to 40 minutes of hell.
    Warm-up, stretching, light jog
    First set: Jumping squats 30 seconds, Push-ups 45 seconds, Jumping jacks 1 minute, pull-ups knock out as many in 45 seconds.
    Second set: Burpees 1 minute, Walking Push-ups 30 seconds, Jump rope (1 Minute), Burpees 30 seconds
    Repeat First set
    1 Minute break with 30 seconds mountain climbers
    Repeat 2nd set
    2 minute break (instead of walking push-ups -close grip push-ups with a basketball and bear crawls)

1 minute jump rope
    10-20 pull-ups under 1:30
    And end it all with 1 minute squats )max but concentrate on form)

That little workout damn near killed me but after a month I should be good to go. The focus of this workout and future is to utilize the cardio aspect while using only bodyweights and bands.

Mary Pickford

Hello all. Still feeling like the welterweight champ of the world on this fine Tuesday. Well the pull-up bar is almost complete. I am picking up the bar itself tomorrow from the welder and will have it up by tomorrow afternoon. Excited doesn't describe how pumped I am about thsi pull-up bar in the back yard. In the next few months I am goign to build a parallel bars that connect to the pull-up bar.

This past weekend was crazy and physical. Saturday we went to Stone Mountain and hiked the mountain then walked around the park followed by some shopping and swimming. The kids thankfully passed right out that night and we got some Primal time to ourselves. Sunday I went to home depot and bought 2 ten ft post, 6 bags of concrete along with gravel and started digging. It took a few hours ot get everything perfect but it's done. It is amazing how inexpensive it is to build the pull up bar and how liberating (physical) the work is to actually put in place. During the summer I am going to stain the wood to make it look super nice.

Change in diet. As I said before I work in 2 hospital HRs and candy is everywhere. Its the dangerous kind, small individual pieces that if you're not paying attention you end up eating 10 pieces then 20. I have a major sweet tooth and the cravings are ridiculous btu I have a plana nd solution. I bring 2 boiled eggs per day to eat instead of candy during the morning and then eat a greek yogurt in the afternoon before my long drive home. I have completely cut out all sodas and bread outside of my morning bagel is an afterthought. I still workout at work but mostly now I focus on lunges, squats, takign the stairs and doing my normal lunch time walk to see the beautiful sunshine and get that much needed Vitamin D. I still do push-ups but with me doing so many variations I have had to cut back a little to not over work my shoulders (surgically repaired right now due to a posterrior dislocation). the hope is to build up my shoulders and back with the pull-up bar in order to eliminate all of my pain and discomfort.

Have a kick ass day and make today your bitch!!!

Mary Pickford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast