Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primally yours - My latest adventure page 2

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good morning. What an emotional roller coaster this weekend was but I am going to only focus on the positives and use the negatives as a tool. This past weekend I laid to rest a dear friend who had been battling cancer at a young age. He was a strong individual with great conviction and last week he succombed to his disease. While it was very sad we all had the benefit and luxury of being able to spend time with him one on one and say our goodbyes. The one thing he said that stuck out to me was, "Never waste a second". I've typed these words 1000 times over and over but hearing that from him made it resonate even more and I plan on living every day to the absolute fullest and taking nothing for granted. I went home afterwards and kissed my wife, hugged my kids and told myself that I will live in the moment and squeeze every second out of the day. He was a great person and I plan on keeping my promise to him that I will not waste another second.

As I laid in my bed last night and into the morning my mind raced at 1,000 mph. One of those nights were we are faced with our own mortality and we ponder the what ifs and what nots. The mind moving far to fast to relax and let sleep take over. Instead of fighting the urge to try and calm the mind I embraced it and ran with it until I was finished. I made a decision right then and there to truly become a better person mentally, physically & spiritually. I have been so focused on the wrong things that at times I took spending time with my family for granted btu no more. Each day is a new opportunity to leave your mark and help those in need. From this day forward I will work as hard as possible to become a better person to those aorund me and to take advantage of everyday. So for now I leave you with one sentence, "NEVER WASTE A SECOND".
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Daily plan:

Fitness:
    Walked 9 flights of stairs so far plus a total of 1 mile on my lunch break.
    175 push-ups
    150 squats
    50 lunges
    100 dips

Food:
    Breakfast - apple, banana
    Mid Morning Snack- 2 hard boiled eggs
    Lunch - Leftover Shepherds pie (sweet potatoes, ground turkey, corn and peas
    Mid Afternoon snack - Greek Yogurt
    Dinner - Chicken with steamed broccoli, beets and carrots.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

What a great weekend. Nothing beats spending good, quality time with family. We took the kids to the Children Museum of Atlanta (which is awesome), played in the rain on Saturday and then spent a few hours on Sunday sanding and mudding our kitchen ceiling. I'm a little sore but its that good kind of sore that lets you know you were productive. Unfortunately I still have a few more times where I will need to sand and mud until it is perfect.

Different approach to eating. This may be more of a mental thing but it seems to make sense to me. In the past I would try and shoot for a certain # for grams of protein per day but now I think a better way to do it is to focus on eating as many different types of proteins. Tuna is a mainstay as well as chicken but I have started eating more and more hard boiled eggs, nuts, etc. I already eat tons of veggies and fruits (more veggies than fruits) so that's not an issue. I have cut out sodas, 99% of candies (huge sweet tooth), and with the way my training has evolved I am already seeing benefits.

I am starting to slim down a bit and really build on some lean muscle mass. With the addition of the pull-up bar I have already noticed gains in strength and size and in the next 2-3 months I will be adding parallel bars to the mix. I already have the plans drawn up and have the perfect spot for it. I am going to attach one of the bars to the pull-up bar by the kids' swing set so I can play and workout with them at the same time. Besides it gives me an excuse to be outside in nature and absorb that Vitamin D. One of the thing sI am truly excited about is playing with the kids on the bars. My son (3.5) can already do 2 pull-ups on his own and our 1 year old daughter can basically do one with some assistance of course. I want to make it a challenging game that the whole family plays.

Hope everyone has a kick ass day.

Mary Pickford

Today's food:
    Breakfast- Broke down and got McDonald's. I hate it but I was starving and late for work.
    Mid morning snack: 2 sweet peppers,1 hard boiled egg, blackberries, carrots and a handful of almonds.
    Lunch: Shepherds pie - Sweet potatoes, turkey burger, peas and corn
    Mid Afternoon snack: Greek yogurt, hard boiled egg
    Dinner: Grilled Pork chops, Sweet potatoes, broccoli and beets

Workout plan: AM- 100 jumping jacks, 100 puh-ups, 100 squats/lunges/pistol squats followed by stretching
    Afternoon: 40-50 pull ups (variations), abs on the bar, L-sits, knee raises then evening walk with the fam and dogs

I am truly focusing on eating exceptionally well and working out more consistently over the next 30 days to see what happens. Over the weekend I will be doing Takata Sprints and a lot of ab work.

Current weight: 191 lbs, Height 6 ft

The ultimate goal is to do my first muscle up by my 34th birthday which is July 14th.

Mary Pickford

Had an outstanding weekend but unfortunately I am sick as a dog with a upper Respiratory infection. My own fault and add that to the fact I sabotaged my workout routine, diet with candy and beer doesn't help. I have been working out a lot lately but my diet has gone to shit. But with this sickness I using it as a catalyst to get refocused and back on track.

For this entire week I am drinking only water and an occasional cup of coffee, eating 6-9 servings of veggies, good amount of fruit and clean protein. No sweets, sodas, fast food, etc. I want to knock this cold out ASAP as I am driving to the mountains this weekend then flying to Colorado next week. I cannot afford to miss work and I plan on killing this thing through good diet, exercise, stress reduction and plenty of rest. Rest is the biggest thing for me but I'm working on it.

Todays food intake:
    B'fast/snack: 3 hard boiled eggs, banana, 2 sweet peppers, handful of blueberries, 2 strawberries and 5 baby carrots
    Lunch: Big ass salad with spinach, carrots, grapes, can of tuna, almond, 1/2 avocado, sweet peppers and homemade dressing
    Snack: apple
    Dinner: Salmon with sweet potatoes, broccoli and beets (yummy leftovers for lunch tomorrow)

Mary Pickford

Feeling much better today after a solid 8 hours of sleep.

Todays food:
    Breakfast: cup of almonds, 3 hard boiled eggs, banana, 2 strawberries, 5 baby carrots, handful of blueberries and 2 sweet peppers.
    Lunch: Chicken BBQ, sweet peppers, carrots, broccoli
    Dinner: Steamed sweet peas, sweet potatoes, Tialpia

Workout 300 push-ups (all variations), 300 squats (all variations), stairs, 20 flights, Dips 100, Pull-ups 100 (all variations)

Mary Pickford

Good morning to all. Had a bit of a disagreement yesterday with one of our fellow Primalers but after doing a little thinking I figure it isn't worth the time to focus on the negativity. It all bopils down to your view of the world and how you approach it. Some see things one way while others see things in a different light so much love to him and the others as I am trying to focus on the more positive aspects in life. My contract with my hospital (through my parent company) may or may not get renewed due to financial constraints and my hospital has begun negotiations to bring me on as a FT employee but we'll see. I've had a ton of success at both my hospitals so the future is always bright. This may also lead to a new door opening so we'll just take each day at a time.

Todays Workout:
    10 sets of push-ups (allvariations- reg, wide, close, spiderman, walking and 1 arm)
    10 sets of squats/legs (all variations- standard, pistol, lunges, calf raises, walk 2 miles)
    Lower back- Supermans
    Abs - L-Sits 30-45 second holds, flutter kicks, bicycyle kicks
    Upper back - 50 pull-ups before our road trip

While others like to knock out an hour in the gym I don't have time for it. With a hectic work schedule, 2 young kids and the amount of traveling we do I can't go to the gym. I do have some things at the house I can throw in if I want to do some weights but nothign substantial. I did just buy some kettle balls but those don't arrive until next week. I typically shun weights (last 6 months to a year) but the folks I went back and forth with do make sense and I know that weights can be effective for training I just typically prefer to use my own body to work on control and discipline. While they want be the main aspect of my workouts I will use them for pull-ups and squats.Have a great weekend and take care.

Mary Pickford

It's always a good day to be alive and today is no exception. It seems everytime I take a break form this site I come back with a new outlook. I am always trying to evolve my mindset and training and now is no different. I have been frequented a lot of websites that focus on street workouts, body weight exercises based on gymnastics, abd it has opened up my mind to a whole new world of fitness. I built a pull-up bar in the backyard aned eventually I will be adding parallel bars which I am so pumped up about.

I've changed my training from sets of this to sets of that for a more practical approach. What I do now is I focus on one general exercise such as the pull-up and do as many variations as I can until I can't do anymore. An example would be starting with standard pull-ups then switching to wide grip to close grip to chin ups to hangs. The whole point is to truly kill it then move on to the next exercise. For resting purposes I'll do 3-4 minutes per exercise with variations then switch to something like legs where I start with squats to lunges to jumping squats, burpees, etc. This type of workout gives me a hell of a total body workout in less time while being extremely effective. Total workout last about 20-30 minutes with rest periods included. Its a freestyle workout that just works for me and my personality.

Nutrition: Started taking this Maca supplement which I am nto so sure about yet but it does add a malti-floavor to my protein shakes or coffee. Went back to eating 3-4 servings of fish per week along with 7-8 servings of veggies each day.

Mary Pickford

Despite getting some truly shitty news from the Doc today I am still doing my best to remain upbeat and positive. I injured my back years ago, which the Army denies whole heartedly, but I went to the Doc due to my pinky and ring finger on my left hand being virtually numb for the last 2-3 weeks. The Doc walks in, looks at me, looks at my charts and then proceeds to say,
    "Mr. Forrester? I honestly didn't expect to see you here". Not the way you want to start a conversation but... He then tells me I am a victim of bad genetics (BS) and wear and tear.
    "How old are you?"
    "34".
    "Hmm. Well you have the spine of a 55 yr old man. The nerves in your neck are being agitated by bone spurs and you are showing early signs of arthritis which I usually don't see in folks until they are at least 55-60 yrs old"
    "Awesome" (sarcasm)
    I ask "What can I do".
    "Nothing". Which is most certainly the last thing I want to hear.
    "Can I do strength training to help keep everything in place?"
    "You could but your disc are degenerating, bulging and it looks as if you have arthritis in these areas". He points to a chart of the spine and then says, "Well I can give you an epidural steroid shot which will help but honestly theres not a lot we can do".

So after that I got a little down btu at least I don't have cancer or anythign truly life threatening so I have decided ot just say F@ck it and train like I was before. I have been taking it easy and it is killing me. The only thing I can think of is to focus on eating very well and then working on all my stabilizers to strengthen those muscles and hope for the best. At least its Friday.

Mary Pickford

PrimalCon New York
    Hello and good morning to all. Feeling pretty good (little sore but manageable) after an awesome weekend of hanging with the family. Went to the Yellow daisy festival, went swimming, ridign bikes and even created our own Wipeout opbstacle course on the downstairs floor (unfortuantely minus the water). Its amazing how after I found out how bad my back/neck actually is I haven't felt this good or been this active in a while. Knowledge is everything and with me actually knowing where my issues are I have been able to truly focus on strengthening those areas and by honing in on my stabilizer muscles (never really even crossed my mind). I am up to about 50 pull-ups a day (goal is 100) and my abs are starting to take shape.

My goal of completing my first Muscle up was a success. I have always wanted to do one and now the goal is to work my way up to ten nonstop. Good things are ahead for those who put in the work and keep their focus.

Mary Pickford

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12