Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: New to MDA -Product Kits- Platinum package a good choice??

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    8

    Question New to MDA -Product Kits- Platinum package a good choice??

    Good Morning!

    I am a new user to Marks Daily Apple, and just a few months into my primal adventure. I have dropped from 180 lbs and am down to a lean 167. Things are going great and my fridge has never looked so colorful. My question is, I am looking to invest in the Platinum Package for supplementation and was wondering what advice or suggestions anyone had if I should dive in or not? I have always been one to take supplements with diet and exercise, I just want to know if it is a good purchase for the money. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    I think you would be tossing money in the trash. There is absolutely nothing you can get from a supplement that you cant get in better quality and ratio from a food.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    8
    Thats good to know! I know it is expensive, just wasn't sure if all the probiotics and things were worth the money to add to my diet or if I should just stick to quality product in groceries.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    I would definitelyuse that money on awesome foods! Go to a site like nutritiondata.com and put in your daily intake and it will break it down to every nutriant. From there you can tell if your deficient on anything and buy some food for that.

    As for probiotics, i think there are better options then kind he sells. Either start eating fermented foods of get a liquid probiotic like coconut kefir. That is if you even think you need digestive support. There really is no data showing that probiotic supplements do much of anything but fermented foods have been around for thousands of years.

    If you search back a couple pages, there was someone who did a thread on his whey protein and i broke down the price point of all his supplements. Bottom line, overpriced and can get better, elsewhere.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Save yourself a ton of $$ and get some multi vitamins and protein powder (if you must) elsewhere. Rainbow Light Nutrition makes food-based multis and Sun Warrior makes a primal friendly (imo) protein powder.
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    8
    Thank you both! The reading makes it seem like there really isn't anything else out there that compares, but I will look around and see what I can come up with.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by iambustanut View Post
    Good Morning!

    I am a new user to Marks Daily Apple, and just a few months into my primal adventure. I have dropped from 180 lbs and am down to a lean 167. Things are going great and my fridge has never looked so colorful. My question is, I am looking to invest in the Platinum Package for supplementation and was wondering what advice or suggestions anyone had if I should dive in or not? I have always been one to take supplements with diet and exercise, I just want to know if it is a good purchase for the money. Thanks!
    Mark's supplements are definitely worth the price. But they are typically for professional athletes. You are young, not an athlete, and, I assume, in good health. Yes, the probiotics are good. The Omega-3's are the only one my intestines don't object to.

    However, there are many cheaper probiotics and Omega-3's on the market and I highly recommend that you take one of each. Mark was asked, at the Ancestral Health Conference, 2012, if he thought that everyone needed or should take supplements and he answered NO, that people in good health shouldn't need supplements. But that also means thay your diet must include everything that your body needs. There are definitely 3 things you cannot reasonably get from foods today, Magnesium, K2 and enough Vit. D3, these must be supplemented. Also as you go through the early stages of your primal journey you may well find that your body will tell you, from time to time, that it's not getting enough of something that need to be supplemented, probably temporarily.

    Older people do not process or create necessary nutrients as easily, or sometimes at all. So I do take his supplements and depend on them.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-26-2013 at 09:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks Crypto! Great advice. I am indeed not an athlete but I am in good health. Whenever I see supplements that are getting good reviews I feel like I need them right away because I am missing out on an advantage. The protein I was taking prior to my primal lifestyle had alot of ingredients that weren't doing me any good in it. I figured buying from here would assure that I was getting the best possible product. In the next week or so i'm going to see what I can find around town that will be a little better on my bank account.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by iambustanut View Post
    Thanks Crypto! Great advice. I am indeed not an athlete but I am in good health. Whenever I see supplements that are getting good reviews I feel like I need them right away because I am missing out on an advantage. The protein I was taking prior to my primal lifestyle had alot of ingredients that weren't doing me any good in it. I figured buying from here would assure that I was getting the best possible product. In the next week or so i'm going to see what I can find around town that will be a little better on my bank account.
    His whey has plenty of bad ingediants and you are paying a good $30 just for the name since he doesnt even use a grassfed source. I disagree with crypt above that anyone needs to supplement anything, especially omega 3s, d3 and k2, as long as you are not on a very limited diet. Magnesium is easy to get and if not, take an epsom salt bath once or twice a week. Supplementing with it orally can cause digestive issues.

    Really scrutinize why you think you need any supplements at all. 90% of anything on the market will only take your money. Some stuff will actually cause you harm since its very dangerous to take isolated nutriants outside of the food source usually at higher levels then would be found anywhere in nature.

    I have personally spent thousands in the past on all sorts of different stuff and there was not a single thing outside of betein hcl that did any good. Maybe fermented cor liver oil as well but its hard to say. Now i take insperation from oldtime strongmen who got insanly lean and stronger then anyone in this age and they did it with out any supplementation or steroids. Just tons of quality food, fresh air, exercise and rest.

    Anyway obviously i feel strongly on the subject because i feel people like Sisson take advantage of newcomers to the health world and make their supplements almost sound necessary when in reality they are anything but. If your diet, stress and sleep are not in check, not amount of supplements will help.

  10. #10
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Mark was asked, at the Ancestral Health Conference, 2012, if he thought that everyone needed or should take supplements and he answered NO, that people in good health shouldn't need supplements. But that also means thay your diet must include everything that your body needs. There are definitely 3 things you cannot reasonable get from foods today, Magnesium, K2 and enough Vit. D3, these must be supplemented.
    As much as it pains me to say it, on this one I gotta disagree with crypto and agree with Zach.

    Magnesium is easily available in seafood, nets, leafy greens, and K2 you can get in cheese, meats, eggs. As far as the D goes, unless you live in Siberia, there is a free vitamin D treatment awaiting you right outside. Take off your shirt and soak in some rays.

    To the newbie OP, welcome. Zach has POed some folks around here, myself included with some of his views on diet but, he and I are both on the same side of this. I agree with what Mark said actually. Healthy people eating a healthy diet don't need supplements. If you have a particular medical condition or deficiency that requires targeted supplementation to get bacjk to normal, that is where supplements have their place.

    I adore Mark and I appreciate the fact that he is very up front about the fact that selling supplements is what pays for the gorgeous house in Malibu but also can come right out and say that at the AHS. That's integrity.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •