Thread: Fasted Running page

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member

Fasted Running

Good day!

Running fasted: Would it be easier now I'm eating primally? Would I have to reduce mileage initially? I have run upwards of four hours before on just breakfast, so I'd like to think i'm very much fat adapted now. Also, I don't want to set out on a run, only to get half way round and just die a carb-like death. My runs are hilly, offroad, LSD, for around 1h:40mins, with very comfortable breathing, sometimes through the nose. (ego boost: I'm not slow!) Any help would be appreciated. Also, I apologize if this has been a topic before.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Only way to know for sure is to try it. My guess would be that if you set out with a decent amount of glycogen you'll be fine. Meaning, if you're 30 hours into a fast, and before fasting you did a HIIT session, you might have a problem with the run. If you're 12 hours into a fast and replenished glycogen at the previous meal I don't think you'll have a problem.

nburgraff is offline Member
    It will be easier because you should deffinitely be fat adapted now. And if you are staying in an aerobic state during the run then you could literally go all day. One of the perks of be fat adapted

diene is offline Senior Member
    A good way to test yourself out without risking getting stranded halfway--bring a Lara bar or some dried fruit or something. Only eat if you absolutely have to. When I first started running fasted, I would sometimes run out of energy, but even a couple of baby carrots allowed me to finish the run (which made me think that it was psychological because I felt better almost immediately after eating, and there was no way that those baby carrots digested that quickly).

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    A good way to test yourself out without risking getting stranded halfway--bring a Lara bar or some dried fruit or something. Only eat if you absolutely have to. When I first started running fasted, I would sometimes run out of energy, but even a couple of baby carrots allowed me to finish the run (which made me think that it was psychological because I felt better almost immediately after eating, and there was no way that those baby carrots digested that quickly).
    appreciate the help guys And as for the lara bars, we dont have them in britain. macadamia/date trail mix it is!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    If you look for a Google Forum on barefoot, minimalist running and huaraches, there are a few recent threads on this topic.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Or read "The art and science of low carbohydrate performance" by Phinney and Volek, who have been studying low carb athletics for decades.

John Miller is offline Junior Member
    Don't eat over. Always take care of your health and avoid from Fat increasing foods and drinks. Do regular exercises and avoid from oil made food. Fasted running can be possible with proper attention on body and fitness.
    Last edited by John Miller; 04-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.

For those that are concerned with progress, I ran fasted today (about 13 hours overnight) and felt more energy. I had my usually 'Rocket Fuel' coffee and about half a 250ml water, and I was off.. No hunger pangs or fatigue, and even had a boost over the last mile/mile'n'half, with the promise of primal Chicken Korma waiting in my fridge. I love Ketones.