Thread: Kidney health page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

Kidney health

Primal Fuel
    Last time I went to my CW doc, she yelled at me about my kidney and liver functions. Wanted me to stop all supplements i was taking except low dose aspirin, start statins, blah, blah, blah. Gave me liver scan, which showed it not fatty. I have been trying to read up on both liver and kidneys. Some interesting information I've found about kidney function is below. I'm not saying all the info is great, just interesting.

Low Carbohydrate Diet May Reverse Kidney Failure in People With Diabetes

Robb Wolf

Anti-oxidants for kidney health

Carrots and cilantro for kidneys

Drink to kidney health

Coconut oil and kidney health

Ginger and kidney health

CoQ10

More CoQ10

Vitamin K2

Vitamin C

Spirulina
    Last edited by Hedonist2; 03-25-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Stick to eating whole foods, get enough of the "good" supplements, and spend a lot of time outside - that seems to be the right recipe for excellent kidney (and bodily) health.

Why'd your doc yell at you about kidney function? Have you had impaired function in the past? Did she think your new "primal" way of living would cause future kidney failure?
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Another book with a lot of information on kidney health is "Diabetes Solution" by Richard Bernstein. It's a thick one.

What are the numbers your doctor was upset about?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, as a medical professional who has worked extensively with end stage renal patients, I can tell you that 95% of the time CKD is caused by: obesity, alcohol/drug abuse, non compliance with diabetes/hypertension treatment, and self abuse.

Your Dr needs a reality check if she thinks Primal lifestyle and supplements have anything to do with it. Also point out to her that there is absolutely no research to back up statin's slowing the onset of CKD. Tell her to look at the SHARP trial, it proved that statins are helpful only in patients with already established end stage KD. Cleary she has no idea what she is talking about.

My doc (or ex-doc if I can find a different one) doesn't know I do Primal. She also didn't even understand what I was taking. She didn't bother to look carefully. She just yelled at me to stop taking all of it. My list included turmeric, which she hadn't heard of. (I only take it when I am not cooking with it, which I often do.) I pointed out that millions of people eat turmeric daily. She didn't want to hear about it.

You would think that a progressive place like Sacramento would have a doc who would be receptive to Primal. Haven't found one yet.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Thanks. I have tried that link before but there are more docs in No. CA now. Unfortunately, still no general practitioner close enough. Chiro's and Chinese docs are great, but I also need a regular doc.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Thanks. I have tried that link before but there are more docs in No. CA now. Unfortunately, still no general practitioner close enough. Chiro's and Chinese docs are great, but I also need a regular doc.
    I'm in SoCal and I'm with Kaiser. My doctors there have all been very Primal supportive. I know the n and s cal Kaisers are separate organizations perhaps they share the same progressive views.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm in SoCal and I'm with Kaiser. My doctors there have all been very Primal supportive. I know the n and s cal Kaisers are separate organizations perhaps they share the same progressive views.
    Good idea. I wouldn't be able to switch to Kaiser until the end of the year but I'll keep it in mind.