Thread: Convict conditioning... page

lmoya83 is offline Senior Member

Convict conditioning...

Primal Fuel
    Anyone has tried the workouts in this book? There is no gym where I live so I made some homemade Crossfit equipment and just trying to add more to the workouts...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364272080.203918.jpg

johnmjoy is offline Member
    I do some of 'em, plus some other stuff (planks, kettlebell swings, ...) The only gym-ish equipment I have, other than the aforementioned kettlebells, is a power tower in the cellar.

This is supplemental to Kun Tao, and mountain bike rides.

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    My wife, son and I started doing CC together just after Christmas. We really like it. We already had a pull up bar so the only equipment we added were two plyo boxes. We all started at level 1 on the first four exercises (push ups, leg raises, pull ups, and squats). We are starting easy by doing just one exercise a day. Plus, my son doesn't have to get up too early before school to do it with us.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I love it, and added a great deal of strength on it. It seems way too little at first, and I was reasonably fit to start, so I just did the workouts every day. I did get a lot more benefit out of the lower levels than I ever thought I would have. I did really well on squats and pushups, but now I'm really working rows to fix some issues in my shoulders. (I think those issues have been causing problems for pullups, bridges, and handstand pushups.)

It's a really slow, long-term program, but my knees are as good as new, even 8 years after a broken kneecap. My core strength is way better than any program the Army ever had me do. I'm hoping that going back and really working the rows properly will help me pull my shoulders back and fix some of my kyphosis, allowing me to progress in the problem areas.

Bismarck is offline Junior Member
    Same here! The lvl 1 pullups/pushups seemed sooo easy until I read that section on shoulder posture. Now with a focus on keeping the scapula "pinned" together I finally feel like I'm healing after shoulder surgery 2 years ago. "Putting it all back together" so to speak.
    Male, 28, 5'7"

03-21-13 208lbs.
    04-02-13 204lbs.
    04-09-13 201lbs.

Goal 185 lbs.

Goldust is offline Junior Member
    I f you are interested in Convict Conditioning I would recommend that you take a look at:

Fitness 666

It has a similar approach to CC but I like the progressions quite a bit more than the CC ones and the rep ranges, as far as building strength is concerned, are much more sensible than the ones in CC.

Here's another take on the rep ranges from CC:

Reddit's Bodyweight Fitness Community

I would also recommend Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low. However be advised, that at 500+ pages it may be a bit much if you are just starting out. Lately I've been doing a combination of the fitness666 routine and Overcoming Gravity and have been getting very good results from it, more so than from when I was doing CC.

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldust View Post
    I f you are interested in Convict Conditioning I would recommend that you take a look at:

Fitness 666

It has a similar approach to CC but I like the progressions quite a bit more than the CC ones and the rep ranges, as far as building strength is concerned, are much more sensible than the ones in CC.

Here's another take on the rep ranges from CC:

Reddit's Bodyweight Fitness Community

I would also recommend Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low. However be advised, that at 500+ pages it may be a bit much if you are just starting out. Lately I've been doing a combination of the fitness666 routine and Overcoming Gravity and have been getting very good results from it, more so than from when I was doing CC.
    Holy cow, Thanks for the recommendation of Fitness 666, I had never seen it before. It looks like it is probably the best all-around bodyweight strength program I have seen-- particularly for beginners. I used to work on CC and started using Al Kavadlo's RTB and PYTP (which are great guides and provide great info), but these progressions fill in all the gaps. The programming is *the* best I have seen, many other books focus on the progressions but sort of leave you to figure it out afterwards. Plus, I think a 6x6 is a great standard of progression (rather than CC, which picks an seemingly random number as the progression standard).

Blanchy is offline Member
    I've been doing CC for a year now, and I love it. Progress has been fairly slow now that I am in the higher levels, but I am stronger than I have ever been in my life. I definitely recommend it.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."