Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "We evolved mostly from vegis" - Doing the Math page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What do gorillas eat? Huge piles of tough tree leaves.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    If I was a paleo man walking through the wild I would probably choose to eat fruit over vegetables if given the choice. I would think that paleolithic people probably ate more fruit over vegetables if given the opportunity. And if they had a chance to eat wild game or fish they would literally jump and run at the opportunity. Depending on the climate/season and availability of animals, plants would most likely be most abundant though.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    But maybe they're sneaking some meat:

Like the vegetarian who can't resist the occasional burger, the otherwise herbivorous gorilla might succumb to cravings for its evolutionary cousins, a new study hints.

While some zoo specimens are known to eat meat, wild gorillas eat only plants and fruit, along with the odd insect—as far as scientists know (see video of wild gorillas feasting on figs).

But a recent study found DNA from monkeys and small forest antelopes called duikers in the feces of wild African western lowland gorillas in Loango National Park in Gabon.

The discovery raises the possibility that gorillas might have a secret meat habit—scavenging or hunting discretely.
    Source: First Proof Gorillas Eat Monkeys?

(Bolding in quote is mine.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    The thread title should read "doing the arithmetic" - no?
    Yes, but Americans think arithmetic is really hard. LOL

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Not only were Paleolithic veggies smaller and less calorically and nutritionally dense, they also had more defenses up in terms of anti-nutrients, and sharp spiky bits. They would not have been worth a self respecting Grok's time to collect unless the tribe was seriously hungry.
    Exactly.

Just too much work for way too little calories. I know because I started out on paleo eating masses of vegi and quickly learned that it's simply exhausting...even with our monster-sized modern vegis and stocked supermarkets!

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    But heating/cooking/fermenting vegetables, grains and some meats makes many of them more digestible and easy to eat... Fire/cooking made us human some say.
    Take a walk on the wild side.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    But maybe they're sneaking some meat:

Source: First Proof Gorillas Eat Monkeys?

(Bolding in quote is mine.)
    Primates eat primates - fact!

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The math doesn't add up. This website has a lot of info.
    The Calorie Paradox of Raw Veganism
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    We didn't evolve from gorillas. Their lifestyle is also significantly different from that of ancient humans. Very similar to many humans who eat a SAD diet - sit around all day and eat a lot.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    We didn't evolve from gorillas. Their lifestyle is also significantly different from that of ancient humans. Very similar to many humans who eat a SAD diet - sit around all day and eat a lot.
    No, we didn't evolve from gorillas. But my point is that gorillas have a much larger digestive system than ours because of the much larger amount of raw cellulose they consume than we do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast