Thread: Bad GI bug. What to eat instead of the BRAT diet? page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

Bad GI bug. What to eat instead of the BRAT diet?

Hey,

I'd love to say "Good evening", but it is far from good. I am coming down with whatever horrendous virus my son has had for the past 5 days. It is a bad gut bug which leads to around the clock vomiting and diarrhea. My son had to be given 3 bags of IV fluids to stay out of crisis. One needed to contain an antiemetic to stop the wretching. It was horrible to witness. Tonight I feel nauseous and my intestines are gurgling; not in a good way. Chills.

So, that brings me to this: I might have the ingredients for bone marrow broth in the freezer downstairs. Would that be a good thing? I took probiotics (15B count) and will take more tomorrow if I can.

Any primal remedies, or should I just do what I need to do to get some calories in me after my body purges uncontrollably??? I won't eat during that time but the recovery phase is what I am asking about. I haven't been vomiting-ill in so long I've forgotten what true nausea feels like. It sucks. We are supposed to fly to San Diego on Sunday for our first Spring Break vacation in FOREVER!

I do happen to have coconut water! Yeah! Both the water and the kefir.

Thanks.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Bone Broth, and more bone broth. I hope you already have the bones inhouse. Put them in a slo-cooker or pot now and simmer. I hadn't heard of bone marrow broth. I always just spread the roasted marrow on the meat I'm going to eat, what ever that is, or just eat it straight. It's really good.

But you've been on PB long enough, maybe you won't get that sick.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Also, homemade egg drop soup.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Eat coconut oil!

It dissolves/destroys the lipid coating on the virus cell to let your immune system rid the body of the virus.

It may not instantly 'cure' you but it will certainly shorten the sicktime.

Miss Grok is offline Junior Member
    There is a new strain of Norovirus the year that no one has any immunity to: New Strain of Norovirus Spreading Quickly in U.S.

I had it in January and it laid me low for 7 days. What I did was liquids, tea/broth/water, with honey and a pinch of salt and a tinier pinch of baking soda. If you're vomiting too much, try sucking on ice cubes. No solid food until you've had 24 hr without vomiting. After that (4 days later) I just started eating sall bits of banana. Around day 7 I could stomach scrambled eggs.

Key thing is trying to replenish your electrolytes, hence the salt and baking soda. Some people can't stand the baking soda, so you can just do salt and honey.
    "Fact is, we're the freaks, the misfit mutants surrounded by readily-available (and free) information about the evils of fat, the benefits of whole-grains etc. From an evolutionary point of view we're the weirdos with a short-life expectancy or we're trail-blazing a 'new' path." ~ AlanC

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    few years back i had a 48-hour bout with food poisoning. i had sent my b/f out for junk-free electrolyte water that i started sipping when i could keep down liquids. broth was next, followed by scrambled eggs. i don't know if you'll be able to tolerate dairy right away.

small servings of rice and/or bananas would be fine too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    +1 for broth. Tea made from fresh ginger with a bit of honey is nice too, and can help with the nausea. If you can pop some coconut oil in there too, all the better.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Eat coconut oil!

It dissolves/destroys the lipid coating on the virus cell to let your immune system rid the body of the virus.

It may not instantly 'cure' you but it will certainly shorten the sicktime.
    Norovirus is non-enveloped so this theory would not apply to treating it. Its structure is an RNA genome surrounded by a protein capsid, there are no lipids present in this type of virus.
    Norovirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://www.bcm.edu/molvir/norovirus

My mother had this all December and lost quite a bit of weight but was told by her doctor to stay on the BRAT diet and to NOT eat fat. I went with her to the Doctor because I was concerned (she had had it 3 weeks) and wasnt' convinced this BRAT thing was the best approach, but the Doctor couldn't do much more than tell her to stay on the BRAT and prescribed some electrolyte supplements (potassium I think, which is OTC also).

Besides BRAT (which works, even if not Paleo) I'm not sure what the ideal treatment diet would be. However, bone broth sounds like an excellent idea, and some kefir is also good, if you can stomach it. It was Christmas and as soon as she stopped vomiting all night she got a little over-indulgent with regular foods and it came back, so she had to go back to the BRAT for another week I think. Be gentle with yourself is all I can say, or it will last even longer. I was concerned my dad and I would get it from her as she was preparing our food, but we didn't.

Also clean your hands and the bathroom as well as you can, as the viral particles become airborne when barfing and flushing the toilet and then settle on all surfaces; (some ideas to reduce contamination I can think of: close the bathroom door, close the toilet lid before flushing, turn on/leave on the exhaust fan, clean all surfaces).

btw, the best cleaner to kill the virus is dilute bleach (10% or so solution; 1 part standard store-bought concentration to 9 parts water) - but wear gloves when applying it; Leave on the surface 10 minutes, then rinse with water or just wipe away. I love to clean with 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol from any store), but it may not be strong enough to actually kill the virus, this protein capsid only type virus is a bit tough. Wash towels and any bathroom rugs with bleach, or if colored and can't use bleach, use very hot water and generous detergent or sodium carbonate to wash. You should also wait till both you and your son are recovering (no symptoms) before bothering with the deep clean, or it will be a waste of effort. But a deep clean is necessary to prevent re-infecting yourself from virus on surfaces in the house.
    Last edited by Wulf; 03-27-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, everyone. I have been drinking raw coconut water and today I drank an entire bottle of coconut kefir. I can not imagine eating coconut oil right now. Ugh. A few bites of white rice and a banana was all I could stomach today. The smell of bone broth just wasn't going to be tolerated even though I have bones in my freezer, but now I feel like I need to keep some broth frozen at all times. I get sick so rarely. How long can I freeze broth?

I will wash the towels and sheets before (if) we leave on vacation. Now my oldest is ill. Ugh.

Pretty sure this is Norovirus. Lots of hand washing. I only got the diarrhea part of it, but the nausea was debilitating! The only benefit I see from this is that my sugar craving might be deadened if I lose my appetite for a week. It will jump start me back to a more Paleo friendly way of eating. I've been bad...

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel