Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low GFR page

DadGrocks is offline Junior Member

low GFR

Primal Fuel
    Does any one know what could lead to a suddenly lower GFR reading. Been primal for about 7 months. Did annual company sponsored blood work had a gfr of 57. im 51 yrs old

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    What were your creatinine and BUN levels like?

What were your previous GFR results?

During your 7 months following a Primal WOE have you significantly increased your activity levels?

What, if any, supps are you taking?

Be sure you are drinking enough water and eating lots of vegetable matter.
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 03-25-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Do them again. They can vary day to day by quite a bit. If you were running a bit dry at the time of the test (a bit dehydrated) or some low level viral illness can account for a change too (mild flu or a cold or sore throat even). I've also known someone who had a huge drop in GFR following competitive kickboxing matches, this has to do with burning muscle which increases your creat/urea - so any hard exercise within 48hrs of bloodwork could impact the results.

So yeah, retest before you panic!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, have it tested again, very quickly. Otherwise do you have any of these symptoms:
    The test is recommended for people with chronic kidney disease and those at risk for it due to:
    •Diabetes
    •Family history of kidney disease
    •Frequent urinary tract infections
    •Heart disease
    •High blood pressure
    •Urinary blockage

Wow thanks for the great responses. Charlie Golf> My BUN was 16 (7-23), Creatinine 1.33 (0.6-1.6) and last years results simply said > 60..Now that is not very helpful since now "they" tell me any thing < 60 (57) can be indicative of chronic kidney disease. Im doing strenuous BWE 3 times a week ( I go at it for about an hour or more) and my test was 12 hour after workout. OK suplements. This is embarrassing. Morning , a multi, 2000mg D, Glucosamin Chondroiton, fenugreek. Bedtime, resveratol,fish oil,curcumin, glucosamin MSM,..an amino pre and creatine post on workout days(half or less of the "RDA"of these products). I do water all day long, I work in a manufacturing facility. And I have veggies as the base of my pyramid.

Lizzielou I will retest and w my primary Dr. and i sorta freaked for a minute lol!

Cryptcode My father had kidney stones but no history of kidney disease, My BP is 131/79 w no meds before Primal i was on DASH for BP. And no to the other conditions you listed.

Again thanks for the help and I will post next results...im hoping it was a spike.

Wow thanks for the great responses. Charlie Golf> My BUN was 16 (7-23), Creatinine 1.33 (0.6-1.6) and last years results simply said > 60..Now that is not very helpful since now "they" tell me any thing < 60 (57) can be indicative of chronic kidney disease. Im doing strenuous BWE 3 times a week ( I go at it for about an hour or more) and my test was 12 hour after workout. OK suplements. This is embarrassing. Morning , a multi, 2000mg D, Glucosamin Chondroiton, fenugreek. Bedtime, resveratol,fish oil,curcumin, glucosamin MSM,..an amino pre and creatine post on workout days(half or less of the "RDA"of these products). I do water all day long, I work in a manufacturing facility. And I have veggies as the base of my pyramid.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    "Cryptcode My father had kidney stones but no history of kidney disease, My BP is 131/79 w no meds before Primal i was on DASH for BP. And no to the other conditions you listed."

Maybe I over-reacted on this. I've been reading "Diabetes Solution" by Richard Bernstein. It's a thick book with lots of information on kidney disease and treatment. I've never had kidney disease or stones, but I've had hypoglycemia all my life and that is often a precursor to diabetes, which is why I'm reading it. However, the thought of dialysis is terrifying so I consider any kidney problems seriously. I'm sure you know your BP is a little high. Hopefully with time on PB that will come down. It's not nearly high enough to be a real problem.

"Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine will not be raised above the normal range until 60% of total kidney function is lost. Hence, the more accurate Glomerular filtration rate or its approximation of the creatinine clearance is measured whenever renal disease is suspected or careful dosing of nephrotoxic drugs is required." - Wikipedia.

I've been on PB 5 months, mine is:
    CREATININE 0.9 <1.2 mg/dL
    GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE 61-NB mL/min, It's dropped on PB.
    BUN 6 <19 mg/dL
    URIC ACID 5.6 2.7 - 6.6 mg/dL
    BP is typically 116/58, but I'm on an ACE inhibitor so this isn't comparable.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-30-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I'm sure you know your BP is a little high. Hopefully with time on PB that will come down. It's not nearly high enough to be a real problem.
    No, NO NO! Dad groks, don't listen to this! 131/79 is truly a perfect BP for someone your age. Medically speaking there are more admissions to hospital caused by low BP than high BP, but besides this your BP is well within the normal ranges for someone your age. I seriously wonder about the paranoia of some people on this forum! Over testing and over use of Dr Google for self diagnosis is just simply bad for your health.

Thanks..will keep you posted.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks! ya my BP and me go round a bit but not worried..Ill get to the bottom of this GFR thing tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast