Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: StockJohn's Journal page

stockjohn is offline Senior Member

StockJohn's Journal

Shop Now
    Alright, here we go.

I've never kept a journal before. I've also never really tried any big diets or lifestyle changes before. Now that I'm in my early thirties and it looks like I'll be working an office job for the rest of my youth it seemed like a good time to try both.

For starters I'm skeptical about the primal/paleo thing. Just a few short months ago was making fun of some paleo guy that was a guest on the Colbert Report. Since then, I have to admit, the whole idea has stuck in my brain. I stumbled across this website while searching for information about the nutritional differences between grass fed and conventional beef. Then I read a few articles. Then I read a few more. Next thing I knew, without really making a decision, I hadn't eaten any sort of grain or bread in three days. Pretty weird.

Now I'm on day 9 and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I didn't really set out to lose wait but I could probably afford to shed 10 to 15 pounds. I'm 6'1" and 195. At least I was 4 months ago when I last weighed myself. I have a 35 inch waist but in the week since I stopped eating grain my pants have become significantly looser.

My intent is to ease into this and give it a try for two months at about 85%. I plan to still drink booze a few nights a week, just no binges. I plan to eat black beans on occasion, once every two weeks maybe, because they're my favorite food and have served me well over the years. I also plan to eat some quinoa and tofu on occasion.

So far its been really easy to avoid sugar, pasta, bread etc. I thought I'd miss bread but salads with meat are really pretty good at lunch.

Here's how my nutrition has been breaking down, roughtly. If you comment on anything I'd appreciate comments on this: 1500-2100 calories per day, ~50% from fat, ~8-17% from carbs, ~30-40% from protein.

I think the thing I'm most anxious about in starting this whole process is becoming overly obsessive about food and exercise. I've been close to people in my life who have been obsessive about nutrition and fitness and it can be pretty destructive to other parts of your life. I plan to stop with the calorie counting now that I've gotten the hang of things and to just go with how I feel. I'll probably start exercising in a week or so (I'm getting over a cold right now) but don't intend to do much more than runs and sprints a couple times a week, pushups and pull ups at home, and maybe weight work once a week. If in two months I feel like a new man I'll probably stick with this whole thing. If the difference is negligible, I'll ditch it.

Sorry for the manifesto, If you've read this far.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You won't get obsessive unless you let yourself become obsessive. It'll just become part of your life. For me, when I go out with friends, if there's nothing to eat that fits into Primal, then I just don't eat. It doesn't kill me - I didn't eat on my birthday when I went out with friends, and nobody blinked. It's not a problem for me.

You may have to make up "allergies" (to wheat, gluten, soy, etc.) in order to keep your friends and family from haranguing you too much about your dietary needs, but it works.

Your ratios look fine to me. And you'll probably feel like a new man a lot sooner than two months from now. I know I did.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Oh, and the best thing I've made so far to eat that I wouldn't have made before going primal: Braised Grass fed Lamb Shoulder. I bought two and a half pounds of lamb shoulder, put it in a dutch oven with 12 ounces of diced tomatoes, some homemade beef stock with tons of good gelatin in it, some white wine, some carrots (which I later discarded), thyme, pepper, onions, garlic, and a chili pepper. Cooked it at around 325 for 4 hours. I ate it in two dinners. Pretty damn good.

Thanks Griff. Good to know. Do you think that for my size I should be eating more calories every day? I don't do much structured exercise but I walk to and from work every day. 2.5 miles round trip.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    It's not about calories. Here's the basic rule:

If you are hungry, eat Primal food (which will be high-fat, moderate protein and low-carb) until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. And wait until you're hungry, and then repeat.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Day 10:

Was out of eggs this morning so I had a cup or so of full fat yogurt with some frozen blueberries mixed in. I'm working from home today so I'm going to make a trip to Trader Joe's to stock up. Since going primal over a week ago I've been making daily trips to the really good, but pretty expensive, gourmet grocery a few blocks down from my apartment. Its a great place to get steaks, all local and grass-fed, and fish but buying things like nuts, butter, and eggs there can get pretty expensive.

For lunch I will have a steak salad with half an avocado and for dinner I may roast a chicken...although I overdid chicken the first week and got a little sick of it so if I see something better at the store I may change it up.

Last night I had two scotches after work. Without the cushion of carbs it doesn't take much booze to get hungover, huh?

Here's where I am at the end of the day:
    1610 calories - 156 g protein, 96 g fat, 39 g carbs.

I gather that this is too much protein and not enough fat but I'm pretty full after eating a little over half a pound of sashimi. Should I force some fat down my throat to balance out the protein or just go easy on the meat tomorrow? I would appreciate any advice.

Day 11: First Fast, a short one

Day 11:

Woke up this morning at 6 and decided to skip breakfast. I've always been a big egg eater but for the first time in my life I'm actually sort of sick of them. Instead I did 40 pushups, 3 sets of crunches, and drank a cup of tea.

Skipping breakfast has basically turned into a 16 hour IF. It was pretty easy. I'm hungry but very energized. I could probably wait til 2 to eat my lunch...but I won't.

For lunch I've packed a mixed green salad with about 1/3 of a pound of sliced grass fed bavette steak on top. Also feta cheese, avocado, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, some onion, and balsamic vinaigrette.

No clue what dinner will be, perhaps I'll pick up some fish on the way home.

I'm itching to start exercising more but this cold seems to be turning into a sinus infection.

Day 11:

OH, and I went to the doctor's yesterday for a routine checkup. I weighed in at 188. I don't think I've actually lost 7 pounds in a little over a week, I just think I didn't actually weigh 195 at the start. I hadn't weighed myself in quite awhile. Anyways, 188 is the new bench mark. Blood pressure was good.

Day 13 - recovering from excess

Day 13: `

Yesterday was a big eating day. I woke up and had a three egg omelet with some heavy cream added. It was good but the cream was probably a bit much. I was trying to up my fat intake. Lunch was a steak salad and dinner was Boston Scrod without the breadcrumbs, a side of roasted cauliflower, and a caesar salad. I also had snacks of almond butter, granny smith apple, coconut meat, and a dessert of strawberries with homemade whipped cream. I also had a bit of a bender last night - 2 or 3 glasses of wine and a beer. When all was said and done I'd consumed around 3000 calories (64% fat, 19% carbs, 17% protein). I'm definitely feeling a little overfed today, I don't think I'll be doing that again for awhile. Hey, at least I stayed away from grains.

This morning I had a three egg omelet and 5 slices of Niman Ranch Bacon.
    Last edited by stockjohn; 05-08-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast