Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting- Debate and Science page 2

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The only thing that makes me see this whole program as questionable is the blatant pimping of resveratrol all over Dr Johnson's website. That stuff has been shown to potentiate breast cancer and (like all other antioxidants) has failed to show any positive benefit in humans.

Johnson makes it look as if resveratrol is an essential element to success with his plan.

And this is a very interesting article for anyone believing unequivocally that promoting SIRT1 is the greatest thing around.

SIRT1, Is It a Tumor Promoter or Tumor Suppressor?

The bottom line is that the jury is still very much out. It could be a cancer suppressor or a cancer promoter. We just don't know yet.
    Interesting article. I wonder if it has anything to do with two of the different effects of SIRT1; allowing for cell renewal, and putting off cell death. Cancer cells, we want to DIE, and not have time to divide and spread. Healthy cells, yes, give them all the opportunity for putting off cell death to repair themselves. Thanks for posting the link, Paleobird.

I wonder if a cycle of ADF with daily eating, maybe a few weeks of each, would help balance. Too bad it is impossible to see what is happening in real time inside us.

I believe the site may be sponsored in part by the reservatrol people. In his book, Johnson definitely promotes the diet over the reservatrol, and only mentions the possibility of reservatrol as a helper whose effective dosage in humans may be impractical..

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Never in the history of humans has food been so available 24/7/365, and we're getting sick because of it. Even as short a time ago as the 1950s, to find munchies at say 3:AM, you would most likely have to live in a city and have access to an after hours club (although, of course you'd have something in the fridge also).

Anyway, after my reading and watching, it seems to me that the occasional day of starvation is probably good for most people. Alternate day fasting probably gets the same results as the 5/2 plan in the video, maybe even faster.
    I think this is a really good point. I was just thinking about this yesterday. 100 years ago a greater portion of the population were still struggling to eat. Many parents went hungry trying to feed their kids. Of course, that is still happening today, just not as prominently. Who was the person who insisted we must eat every day? I would like to choke him.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Rare is the creature that does not eat every day, or try to.

I think fasting is fine occasionally, especially when it happens naturally or there is some specific cultural reason around it (religious or otherwise). My personal issue with fasting is that when I was fatter and on a low carb, high fat diet it was fairly easy to do. But once the weight came off it was not easy to do and instead became just another manifestation of the perpetual war against my body. I've decided to feed and nourish my body and not fight it or feel ashamed at its appetites. This has been a struggle of trust, mainly, but so far it is working out. I wish all those who want to fast on a schedule well. It's useful and probably healthy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Yeah, I know. You're right... I guess I just mean... Who said we HAVE to eat every day? Nothing but the newest of babies must eat every day to maintain health. Considering our bodies natural fat storage system, it would imply we aren't meant to HAVE to eat every day. At least, that's the way I see it.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    It is also possible to get a good fasting effect from certain low calorie diets, like the modified protein fast. At the moment I do this twice a week on modays and thursdays; eating a soup at night in two meals at 6 PM and 9.30 PM. Totally on those days I get around 800 kcal and 150 gram of protein and only trace calories from fat and carbs. The other days I do a normal intermittent fasting, having my first meal around 2.30 PM, except sundays when I eat breakfast in the morning. Even if I eat A LOT on the other five days I have started to lose weight again, so I probably will back out and keep only monday as my PSMF day...

Alright- I watched that documentary that was posted. Interesting and informative. Although, I was really irritated by the lady doctor who was saying "eat 500 cal on fast day and eat WHATEVER (including fast food) you want on feed day." Um... no.

All I have to say is, I am so glad I am changing NOW while I'm 22, and not screwing up for another two or three decades. My poor body has already been through enough!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    It is also possible to get a good fasting effect from certain low calorie diets, like the modified protein fast. At the moment I do this twice a week on modays and thursdays; eating a soup at night in two meals at 6 PM and 9.30 PM. Totally on those days I get around 800 kcal and 150 gram of protein and only trace calories from fat and carbs. The other days I do a normal intermittent fasting, having my first meal around 2.30 PM, except sundays when I eat breakfast in the morning. Even if I eat A LOT on the other five days I have started to lose weight again, so I probably will back out and keep only monday as my PSMF day...
    I tried Lyle MacDonald's PSMF and gained weight. Plus it drove me nuts. Real IF works fine for me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I tried Lyle MacDonald's PSMF and gained weight. Plus it drove me nuts. Real IF works fine for me. YMMV.
    You gained weight on less than 800 kcal per day??? You must have done some serious binging then! I am not a big fan of extended PSMF for leaner people, so I only do PSMF style of fasting on Mondays and Thursdays and I eat above maintanence for the other five days and I am losing too much weight at the moment, so I will quit Thursdays and keep Mondays only...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    You gained weight on less than 800 kcal per day??? You must have done some serious binging then! I am not a big fan of extended PSMF for leaner people, so I only do PSMF style of fasting on Mondays and Thursdays and I eat above maintanence for the other five days and I am losing too much weight at the moment, so I will quit Thursdays and keep Mondays only...
    You can believe that if you want to. I have said before that when I eat excessive protein (and that diet demands an enormous amount of protein) I gain weight, even in a calorie deficit.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You can believe that if you want to. I have said before that when I eat excessive protein (and that diet demands an enormous amount of protein) I gain weight, even in a calorie deficit.
    Sure, maybe you can transform water into vine and walk over water as well? Not even a 60 lbs dwarf in coma can gain weight below 800 kcal, high proteins or not...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast