Page 1 of 159 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Primal Fuel
    This thread is for SUPPORT while trying Alternate Day Fasting (sometimes known as JUDDD- Johnson's Up Day Down Day). Information is easily googled under JUDDD, and Dr. Johnson has a book titled, 'The Alternate Day Diet' which covers all the basics of the method and the science.

If you wish to debate ADF, or talk about the science, please look for the companion thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Debate and Science.

I am doing a primal low-carb version.

As a DIET the method works mainly through calorie restriction. On an Up Day you eat normally. On a Down Day you fast or eat up to 25% of your normal calories. The net result of this is reducing your calories over a two day period by 37.5-50%.

Additionally, when you fast or eat minimally every other day, a gene named SIRT1(in humans) is activated. Among other things, its activation reduces hunger.

EDITED TO ADD: This is NOT a quick weight-loss plan. It is meant to be one that is sustainable over the long-haul, as you can eat freely every other day, but the average weight loss, after the first flush, is supposed to average 1-1.25 pounds per week. If you want to try this, please be aware of that, and don't expect quick weight loss. END EDIT 5/1/13

On the non-diet side, SIRT1 does a whole lot more than reduce your hunger. Its activation allows your body to do a better job of cell repair, and is strongly implicated in increased longevity and reduction of inflammation.

I came to this practice after doing a couple of day long fasts to give my digestive system a rest after a dietary insult(not to be mentioned at this time, but you can look at my journal if you must know. ) I googled and found JUDDD, and was very excited by the SIRT1 information. In addition, I find the fasting to be easy. I've since switched to eating a little on the Down Days(on doctor's advice-again, see journal), and after a rather agonizing first time, am now finding eating very little every other day to be not so bad.

Anyone interested?

Oh, and here's a link to the other thread:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81578.html
    Last edited by Sabine; 05-01-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: adding link, I hope!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Hello Sabine, thank you for starting this thread! I will leave the debate and science thread to others more knowledgeable or contrary than I, depending on how you look at it. I will be here to get and give support.

I am doing this as a Low Carb, Moderate Protein, Adjustable Fat protocol.

My goals, besides fat loss, are to get my blood sugars down and to hopefully get into Nutritional Ketosis.

My Down Day limits are no more than 500 calories, with Net Carbs <15g, Total Carbs <30g, and Protein <75g, any remainder will be fat.

My Up Day limits are up to 2200 calories with the same macros limitations.

I used the JUDDD website to figure out the calorie calculations.

I had a fairly successful dd yesterday, and am on a successful trajectory for my ud today.

I am on MyFitnessPal if anyone is interested in the details of what I eat, (same username) just ask to friend me and in the message let me know you are from this thread.

I will give details of my weight, FBS, days nutrients, etc. in my journal and use this thread to talk about the things I learn and any difficulties or successes I encounter.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Paleobird Guest
    Hmmm. Very interesting. I think I kind of already do this but just not intentionally and a lot more randomly. Some days some combination of being otherwise occupied and not feeling really hungry mean I eat very little. I wonder if I could construct the carnivorous version of this plan.

Food for thought....(hehe)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'd join you for a bit, for kicks - but I don't often know when my day or night actually should be...night shift does that to you. Is eating in the morning before bed dinner or breakfast? What do I do on transition days, when I sleep 16 hours? Do I eat when I wake up or before going back to bed that actual night? It's quite perplexing and lately, I've just been eating ad-lib giant meals and actually *gasp* snacking mostly because my body can't tell what time it is. I suppose I could do this with you if I started it on my first work day. But during the work week I only eat one huge meal before work, and sometimes a little bit before sleeping 12 hours later. Should I eat more on my eating days? Is one giant meal every two days really enough food? No, I don't think so. I'd have to plan carefully and know which hours I can stuff my face and which hours I truly eat very little.

My six pack turned back into a 4-pack lately. A normal thing to happen, really. I often gain and lose the same ten pounds, I've discovered, without really doing anything special. But I do love the feeling of fasting. I might try to make it fit into my schedule after all...need a solid, written plan, though.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I think the beauty of this is exactly that, you can do the Up Days in a way that works for you and you can do the Down Days in a way that works for you.

Paleobird, Actually, the plan slips to a 5:2 ratio (or so) for maintenance. So your body has already figured it all out on its own!
    Last edited by demuralist; 03-25-2013 at 03:53 PM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I did this for about 6 weeks last fall. Very harsh and unhealthy.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I did this for about 6 weeks last fall. Very harsh and unhealthy.
    What part of the word "Support" did you not get?

Besides, you are starvation level thin already. It's not surprising that this wouldn't be good for you.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    about 15 or so years ago, i worked with a guy who had a heart attack and was diabetic. he was maybe 50? his doctor prescribed exactly this, plus eliminating white starches. (sound familiar?) kicking the rice was hella hard for an asian, but within months his diabetes was firmly under control without meds and he had shed about 30 pounds easily.

funny this-- just today i decided to do this too! i only eat twice a day most days anyway, so stretching the window shouldn't be that tough. we shall see!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    This interests me a lot from a health perspective, but I'm not interested in a "program". Even though I'm an obsessive calorie counter and weigher, psychologically, I prefer my food choices and eating patterns to be less structured. I do find though that my total consumption will vary by 2x one day to the next. I think I can exploit that tendency to my advantage.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hmmm. Very interesting. I think I kind of already do this but just not intentionally and a lot more randomly. Some days some combination of being otherwise occupied and not feeling really hungry mean I eat very little. I wonder if I could construct the carnivorous version of this plan.

Food for thought....(hehe)
    Funny, I thought almost the same thing with a tater twist!

Page 1 of 159 1231151101 ... LastLast