Page 89 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 89

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    Started last October with a general low carb/SAD diet, at my highest weight of 171lbs. Lost ten pounds in a matter of days, stalled, regaines most of the weight back and started resenting the food restrictions. That's when I found JUDDD I followed the calculator on Dr. Js site for my dd numbers and my dds were pretty strict, with no overage. However, I did not count ud calories, and just tried to be mindful of how many calories I was eating (spot checking showed I was averaging 1700-2000ish calories on uds). Also I was doing JUDDD with SAD-uds had plenty of fast food, processed.food, more cupcakes than I'd like to admit etc lol. Took several days off for Thanskgiving and I also totally went off plan for the week of Christmas-had like seven uds in a row, with lots of party food involved. After the holidays I got right back on and hit goal of 135 in mid March. Since then I've lost around 8 more pounds transitioning into maintenance, primal etc.

To date, I've lost a total of 44.5lbs and have gone from a size 14 jean, to a loose size 4.

Also, I did several potato hack days throughout my weight loss and I lost quite a bit of weight doing that (along with JUDDD). Probably lost around 10lbs with potatoes, spread out over several hacks. Then I'd jump back into my JUDDD rotations and that prevented the weight from coming back.

When I wasn't doing the potato hack I did every other day rotations, with the exception of the holidays and the potato hack days (1-3 days at a time and I think I did a total of three of them ).
    wait... in 4 months you lost... 40 lbs?! wow. I wish it does that fast for me!! I'm amazed. that's so wonderful... and you weren't eating primal!?

whats potato hack days? you say you lost by doing "several potato hack days"

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    wait... in 4 months you lost... 40 lbs?! wow. I wish it does that fast for me!! I'm amazed. that's so wonderful... and you weren't eating primal!?

whats potato hack days? you say you lost by doing "several potato hack days"
    The infamous potato hack lol. There's several threads on mda about it but in a nutshell- you just eat potatoes for 1-5 days and the key is to not eat any fat with them. I ate around six medium yellows a day and dry fried them and then drizzled ketchup on them, or boiled them and then dumped A-1 sauce on them It's really whacky but there's a scientific reason why it works. It's also really good for breaking sugar cravings! It kind of resets your taste buds
    *~Sara~*

The infamous potato hack lol. There's several threads on mda about it but in a nutshell- you just eat potatoes for 1-5 days and the key is to not eat any fat with them. I ate around six medium yellows a day and dry fried them and then drizzled ketchup on them, or boiled them and then dumped A-1 sauce on them It's really whacky but there's a scientific reason why it works. It's also really good for breaking sugar cravings! It kind of resets your taste buds
    just looked up some threads... really interesting...
    did you think your success with all your fantastic weight loss was from potato hacks or ADF?
    were you downdays potato hack days or did you take a week to do the potato diet?
    if you ever see a page to the scientific reasons for it please forward! i couldn't find any... other then you aren't eating anything but potato so it makes you lose weight.

you success is very inspiring to me! especially in the time you did it. UGH i would LOVE to find what does that for me!
    Last edited by Yoga11; 05-02-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    just looked up some threads... really interesting...
    did you think your success with all your fantastic weight loss was from potato hacks or ADF?
    were you downdays potato hack days or did you take a week to do the potato diet?
    if you ever see a page to the scientific reasons for it please forward! i couldn't find any... other then you aren't eating anything but potato so it makes you lose weight.

you success is very inspiring to me! especially in the time you did it. UGH i would LOVE to find what does that for me!
    I think mixing it up with a few hacks, kept my body guessing. I also did some random meat and egg days, which would be like having primal uds Another thing is that I always ate generously on my uds-did'nt go crazy, but I always made sure to eat. The tendency is to keep ud calories lower than the calculator, to try and speed up the process. However, the 'magic' of JUDDD is in part to the big differences between the ud calories and the dd calories. If you start going to low on uds you're going to cause stalls. I had to correct my mom tonight in fact-her weight loss stalled, but as we talked through it I found out she had lowered her ud calories to 1,200 when her calories are supposed to be over 1,900 on uds. She's been so brainwashed by years yo yo low calorie diets, that she thought she could change the plan to speed up her loss (and she's lost 8lbs in two weeks-sheesh, like she needs to go faster!). I can't emphasize it enough-eat your ud calories! Now, if you come in a few short every once in a while it's not the end of the world. But don't make a habit of it know what I mean

For the potato hack-i suspended my rotations and just did tbe potato thing, and I never did it more than three days at a time. I also always went into it from an ud and then came out of it with an ud. Even though I ate more calories on my potato days, the hack acts like dds in a way.
    *~Sara~*

I think mixing it up with a few hacks, kept my body guessing. I also did some random meat and egg days, which would be like having primal uds Another thing is that I always ate generously on my uds-did'nt go crazy, but I always made sure to eat. The tendency is to keep ud calories lower than the calculator, to try and speed up the process. However, the 'magic' of JUDDD is in part to the big differences between the ud calories and the dd calories. If you start going to low on uds you're going to cause stalls. I had to correct my mom tonight in fact-her weight loss stalled, but as we talked through it I found out she had lowered her ud calories to 1,200 when her calories are supposed to be over 1,900 on uds. She's been so brainwashed by years yo yo low calorie diets, that she thought she could change the plan to speed up her loss (and she's lost 8lbs in two weeks-sheesh, like she needs to go faster!). I can't emphasize it enough-eat your ud calories! Now, if you come in a few short every once in a while it's not the end of the world. But don't make a habit of it know what I mean

For the potato hack-i suspended my rotations and just did tbe potato thing, and I never did it more than three days at a time. I also always went into it from an ud and then came out of it with an ud. Even though I ate more calories on my potato days, the hack acts like dds in a way.
    thank you for all that information! I really need to let go on the fear of eating so much on my UD and just eat 1900-2000 calories. My DD is suppose to be 425!! but at 30% it's 625, which I've been being around that more then 425 (20%) This just inspired me. I need to lower my DD and UP my UD. thanks again!

elkay7 is offline Member
    Do you take vitamin/mineral supplements while potato hacking? I don't know how I could cope without leafy greens in my diet.

Also, a friend posted this on her Facebook and I nearly choked on my tea:
    944496_10151864117304918_798728649_n.jpg

Down 13 lbs in 27 days. Still haven't lost waist inches or dropped any pant sizes yet. -sigh-
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Started last October with a general low carb/SAD diet, at my highest weight of 171lbs. Lost ten pounds in a matter of days, stalled, regaines most of the weight back and started resenting the food restrictions. That's when I found JUDDD I followed the calculator on Dr. Js site for my dd numbers and my dds were pretty strict, with no overage. However, I did not count ud calories, and just tried to be mindful of how many calories I was eating (spot checking showed I was averaging 1700-2000ish calories on uds). Also I was doing JUDDD with SAD-uds had plenty of fast food, processed.food, more cupcakes than I'd like to admit etc lol. Took several days off for Thanskgiving and I also totally went off plan for the week of Christmas-had like seven uds in a row, with lots of party food involved. After the holidays I got right back on and hit goal of 135 in mid March. Since then I've lost around 8 more pounds transitioning into maintenance, primal etc.

To date, I've lost a total of 44.5lbs and have gone from a size 14 jean, to a loose size 4.

Also, I did several potato hack days throughout my weight loss and I lost quite a bit of weight doing that (along with JUDDD). Probably lost around 10lbs with potatoes, spread out over several hacks. Then I'd jump back into my JUDDD rotations and that prevented the weight from coming back.

When I wasn't doing the potato hack I did every other day rotations, with the exception of the holidays and the potato hack days (1-3 days at a time and I think I did a total of three of them ).

First of all, amazing work, well done! May I ask a question? With your UD calculation, did that include or ignore any exercise you did? I.e. was your goal based on a sedentry lifestly or your estimate activity? And if it was based on a sedentry lifestyle, was that 1700 that you ate net? I.e. you may have actually eaten 1900, but exercied 200, therefore net was 1700?

I am eating 1800-1900 total on my UD, but with exercise this may get down to 1400-1500. Not sure whether I should be eating my exercise or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    First of all, amazing work, well done! May I ask a question? With your UD calculation, did that include or ignore any exercise you did? I.e. was your goal based on a sedentry lifestly or your estimate activity? And if it was based on a sedentry lifestyle, was that 1700 that you ate net? I.e. you may have actually eaten 1900, but exercied 200, therefore net was 1700?

I am eating 1800-1900 total on my UD, but with exercise this may get down to 1400-1500. Not sure whether I should be eating my exercise or not.

I did absolutely no exercise during weight loss (or beforehand). It was too overwhelming for me to do weight loss and exercise at the same time, and it was mostly during winter time so walking was out. After I hit goal I started walking several times a week, for two miles at a time. Since then I've logged around sixty miles over the past couple months, and have really noticed a difference in my legs My walking goal for May is 50 miles/10 miles a week. I also started Mark Lauren's Body By You strength training program three weeks ago and LOVE it! It's only three times a week for thirty minutes a time, but I can already see a difference, especially in my arms and stomach. I also love that there's no equipment you need. Best $16 for a book I've ever spent

Someone asked about vitamins- the only thing I take is a D3, 4000 dose per doctor's orders, since I'm D deficient. Started this last month. Otherwise I take a baby aspirin, also per doctor's orders, to help prevent another blood clot (had one in my leg last year).
    As for green veggies-I actually am not a fan of vegetables, and it's a struggle for me to eat them. That's one of my biggest challenges transitioning to primal eating. While I was doing JUDDD/SAD I ate very little veggies.
    *~Sara~*

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    It is funny that it can be so hard to 'eat up to your calories' on Up Days. Almost the first thing I hear everyone say about ADF is, 'don't you just overeat on the eating days, and wipe out the fasting?' But the plan is right, it IS hard to consistently eat 150%. And there's more to ADF than calorie reduction. I think the SIRT1 action often gets overlooked.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Well I'm up 2.2 after my ud, had about 120 g of carbs yesterday because I had an over ripe plantain I needed to use so I fried for breakfast. Completly forgetting I was make tostones( fried green plantains) to go with the Puerto Rican pork roast for dinner, and I stupidly ate a baby banana at lunch. So yeah all primal but high in carbs! Hope its gone by tomorrow. Dd today, so well see.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy