Page 84 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 84

Happy Hippo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post

Edited to add: Also, do any of you combine this with vigorous exercise? Does it create problems? I Crossfit four times a week and run 2-3 times a week. Not too worried about the running because I can run on very little carbs and/or calories. Slightly concerned about Crossfit.
    I do exercise on my DD. and it is easy for me and make me feel less hungry for rest of the day. But after excercise I usually eat eggs to keep enough protein and fat.

FarmerPete is offline Junior Member
    some of you have calorie caps for up days. Is that recommended? Thanks!
    I know that some of the researchers who looked into ADF first thought that if you restrict someone's calories to 25% on a down day, that they would eat nearly 175% on an up day. What they found was that first people can't eat 175% of their calories easily, and second, most people only ate maybe 115% on their up days. So my advice to you would be, count them if you want, or don't if you don't want to. If your results aren't as good as you'd like, than you may want to try to restrict the calories a bit on your up days.

For me, I've taken the, "I'm not going to count, but I'm going to try to make more informed decisions". Part of the nice thing is that since my calories are so tight on down days, I've started looking at calorie labels on everything. I don't want to punish myself on down days and then blow it on up days. For example, I went to Red Lobster a week ago. I was looking at their appetizers, and I saw that the stuffed mushrooms were 2-300 calories. The Onion rings were ~1200 calories. I don't care what diet you're on, you shouldn't eat those onion rings. :-) Other examples are like for my lunch, I'll often go to Wendy's. I like their flat-bread chicken sandwich that they've been pushing on special. The sandwich as served is 370 calories. However, 100 of those are the honey-mustard sauce. So, I switch that sauce for plain mustard, and I save 100 calories. That's like half an hour walking worth of calorie savings! So, I guess the moral is that for me, it's better to be smart about calories, but I still eat more than I need on my up days. Of course, that's how I got overweight in the first place.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone, I'm thinking about jumping on this bandwagon soon. I haven't had a chance to read all 83 pages of this thread yet so please bear with me as I ask stupid questions. So the JUDDD website says that you can eat as much as you want on up days without intentionaly overeating (whatever that means--every time I overeat it has been unintentional). But looking at some of the posts on this thread, some of you have calorie caps for up days. Is that recommended? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerPete View Post
    I know that some of the researchers who looked into ADF first thought that if you restrict someone's calories to 25% on a down day, that they would eat nearly 175% on an up day. What they found was that first people can't eat 175% of their calories easily, and second, most people only ate maybe 115% on their up days. So my advice to you would be, count them if you want, or don't if you don't want to. If your results aren't as good as you'd like, than you may want to try to restrict the calories a bit on your up days.
    What FarmerPete said! The cap that some of us use is from the JUDDD website (there is a calculator on the website that figures out calories for an up day). I actually haven't been able to get even close to the up day "goal" that the JUDDD website gave me. I am just not that hungry on my up days. So, I eat when I am hungry and then only enough to be satisfied and that seems to work. So, my up days are well below what the JUDDD website says, and my down days are a little over.

I count only because I am that kind of person...I like to keep records and charts and stuff like that, but it is certainly not necessary if you don't like it. I'd only do it as a spot check once in a while if, as FarmerPete said, you are not seeing the results you'd like.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerPete View Post
    I've been doing ADF for 48 days now. I'm down 24lbs. It's really a lot easier than I had ever expected. I think I'll probably keep fasting at least once a week even after I hit my goal. Of course, I have 80lbs more to go, so that will be awhile.
    Congrats on the loss! I'm in maintenance now and do a modified version of Michael Mosley's 5:2 plan (a more laid back version of JUDDD), I do a md on Mondays of 700-900 calories and a dd on Thursdays of 500 calories. I've been able to maintain effortlessly with this format And it's really flexible-last week I did just the md and skipped Thursday's dd, due to losing some unexpected weight (transitioning to primal eating plus I was sick one day). And I overindulged at a wedding reception this past weekend so yesterdays md became a 500 calorie dd-weekend bounce was corrected and I'm now moving on
    If you haven't read Dr. Mosley's book yet, The Fast Diet, I highly recommend it-good info on IF/JUDDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I was inspired by FarmerPete's post to look at my numbers since I began.

I started JUDDD with my first Down Day on March 5th. I weighed 202.0 pounds.
    April 5th I was 191.5.
    This morning I was 188.5.

So 13.5 pounds over 56 days, most of it during the first month, but a respectable pound per week this last month.

Non-weight positives: My IBS is getting better. I'm saving money on food. I feel I can sustain this long-term. This gives me hope that when I get to my goal weight, I will be able to stay there. My energy levels seem to be rising, not in terms of having more energy on a particular day, but that I seem to 'have steam' longer each day.

I'm liking it!
    Great job so far!

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about jumping on this bandwagon soon. I haven't had a chance to read all 83 pages of this thread yet so please bear with me as I ask stupid questions. So the JUDDD website says that you can eat as much as you want on up days without intentionaly overeating (whatever that means--every time I overeat it has been unintentional). But looking at some of the posts on this thread, some of you have calorie caps for up days. Is that recommended? Thanks!

Edited to add: Also, do any of you combine this with vigorous exercise? Does it create problems? I Crossfit four times a week and run 2-3 times a week. Not too worried about the running because I can run on very little carbs and/or calories. Slightly concerned about Crossfit.
    Welcome aboard. The calculator o. Dr. J's website will give hou up day calorie numbers too, you may or may not need to use them. I was able to lose all my extra weight withought having to count ud calories. But others find that they need the parameters of the calorie recommendations. Just play around with it and see what works for you

I do Mark Lauren's strength training program on dds with no problem, as well as walking. Many of us experience extra energy on our dds
    *~Sara~*

Jezzebelle is offline Junior Member
    It depends what your following. If your doing JUDDD there is a site that your supposed to go to and plug in your info and use that as a gage as far as to what your eating on down days and up days. I try to get close to the up day number but don't kill myself if I can't either. I don't want to be spending 300-400 calories on junk food when I can't hit my calorie goal it just seems counter productive to me.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses! I see now that the calculator on the website gives you both UD and DD calories. I thought it was just DD so ignored it since I was going to start with 500 calories. I think I'm not going to count on up days in the beginning. For a few months I was counting and tracking everything I ate. I literally weighed every morsel of food before putting it in my mouth. I became very VERY tired of weighing and counting so, yeah, not excited to start again. But the 500-calorie down days shouldn't be too bad since it's not that many calories.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like a very serene approach!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

FarmerPete is offline Junior Member
    But the 500-calorie down days shouldn't be too bad since it's not that many calories.
    I know I've only been doing it a little while, but I've been eating more prepackaged food than I'd like. While I could (and have) cooked more food for less calories, I like the simplicity of having a frozen dinner. It's also more accurate for calorie counts. I've found that my apps will guess what the calories are of vegetables based on averages. When was the last time you held an "average" vegetable in your hand? You really have to weigh them to be accurate, and often that requires looking up the calories myself. Once I had a couple good fast day meals planned, I've just been sticking to them. I love Zucchini and mushrooms. Both of which are very low in calories. I think I'd explode before eating 600 calories of either food. I like to mix the two together with some chopped tomato. I've even been known to throw in a little chicken if I have calories to spend. I also don't think I could count calories without an app on my phone to make it easier. I love scanning bar codes to input the data. I love being able to save meals, recipes, and foods into my database for easy retrieval.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    We gotta be careful that we don't lose sight of what the primal blueprint has taught us, Pre package may be convienient for a dd but not the healthiest option. Also just because juuddd still works with SAD doesnt mean we should start reintroducing those things back In to our diets. Primal first , juuddd second, know what I mean?
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also tend to have the same things over and over on my Down Days. One, it makes for less counting: count once instead of refiguring every day. Two, it takes some of the thought out of it, and I don't want to become obsessive about how 'much' food I can finagle out of 420K. I just want to get the food and eat it, no muss, no fuss.

I HAVE tweaked my Down Days a little, though, most recently trying a Fat-Fast Down Day (which I liked very much) and a Protein-centered Down Day(which was delicious but not as filling). However, yesterday when I did a second Fat-Fast Down Day, I just used some of the same choices. I didn't go looking for variety.