Page 8 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 8

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I can remember in one of the fast threads over the summer, someone mentioned eating 500 calories per day. Perhaps this was the reasoning. Then again, with my memory, it might have been 50 --- but seems like 500.

I thought of that during the night last night. Funny the things you think about when trying to go to sleep. Also thought of this. I remember someone asking about it not being a real fast. And thought this info might be helpful.

Food for a Fast | Perfect Health Diet
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    First question: Are any of you responsible for cooking for someone else (child, husband, elderly parent) and if so, how do you handle fasting or doing the down day while fixing food for others? I ask because I have to prepare meals (well, at least dinner) for my mom. While she understands this new way of eating (Primal), I think if I told her I was fasting, it could lead to a conversation I don't want to have. I did visit Dr. Johnson's UDDD page for the details, and see I can have around 500 calories on the down day, so I realize I'm not exactly fasting.
    Second question: Should I do the 500 calories within a certain time frame, or spread it out? I can easily consume those calories with my bulletproof coffee and a tasty protein shake in the first part of the day.
    my DD is not even primal.. we are working on it though. When it comes to meals, I make what she will eat and what I will eat. We don't do a lot of sides or "formal meals" so cooking two different things is no big deal. You can spread out the 500 calories so you can eat as a family. You need to portion and weigh to account for your calories. If you are making primal meals its that much easier. Some of us pre-journal our meals (especially on DD's) to help us plan the day. On MFP, you can friend us and get ideas on how we do the DD and what we eat and maybe that will help with your predicament.

For the last part, if consuming all your calories at one time is causing concern, don't do it. Yup.. easy to get 500 calories in a single serving but depending on your situation with family and work it may not be optimal.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Uh oh, down day is the same acronym as dear daughter.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Desert creature- I cook for my kids on my Down Days. (My Honey is doing JUDDD with me, so I don't have to worry about him.) We only eat dinner together, so it is pretty easy. I make them a normal meal, and then I sit with them, talking and drinking water if I am not eating anything right then, or eating my soup or salad, if I am having something. They know I am doing it, but they don't really focus on what i am eating, and we don't talk about it, so there's been no ruckus.

I have found no difficulty in making food for OTHERS when I am not eating, it is making only a SMALL amount for myself that is hard. But I'm getting used to it.

Tomi- yes, you have it right. The time starts after you finish your last food on your Up Day. But I think it is 30 hours, not 36. Not that 36 wouldn't work well. I prefer fasting completely, but when I am eating on a Down Day, I have found that three small feedings, at 10, 2, and 6, approx., work very well. Here's what I ate last time:

Small spinach salad, with 1/2 hard egg, 1 strip bacon, 1Tvinegar (105K)
    Yogurt(130K)
    Vegetable soup with poached egg(115K)
    Last edited by Sabine; 03-28-2013 at 07:36 AM.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Uh oh, down day is the same acronym as dear daughter.
    LOL.. true. I noticed that
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Well this has gotten incredibly confusing.

Um... Paleobird, I don't understand your comment about low carb spam?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    There was likely a spam post that was removed by the moderators before you saw the page. Sometimes if the spam is apropo, I like to quote it so we can continue to enjoy it after the original has been zapped. In this case, we will just have to wonder!

tomi is online now Senior Member
    First Down Day under my belt! Yeah! It went well. I was feeling pretty hungry mid afternoon. My single egg and 1 TB butter didn't go very far! Dinner was meager but satisfying and I made it through the night without getting up to have a bite (or 6) of something. I'm counting this as a victory!

I came to a happy conclusion yesterday! After weighing in at my doctors office (digital) and seeing that my fully clothed weight was the same as my buck nekid weight at home I was wondering if my scales might be weighing me a bit heavy. So yesterday I stepped on the OLD slide weight style scale at my office (I work for an endo) it was the same also. So, fully clothed at doc's offices I weigh the same as buck nekid at home. That means I'm actually weigh 2 pounds less than I thought! But for recording........... I'm sticking with my scales. Its less complicated that way. However --- if I'm feeling crappy about myself when I weigh at home I can always remember that in reality I'm 2 pounds lighter!

Gotta LOVE that!

So - my first UP day on this protocol. I haven't really planned anything.......... hubby wants to try using the smoked turkey (he smoked on Sunday) in a stir fry-like dish. I'm skeptical - but we'll give it a try.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Gotcha!

My down day went ok. I woke up feeling hungry but my coffee calmed the storm. I just officially broke the fast with half a grapefruit. Not something I would typically eat, but my 12 year old niece left it behind. It tasted so very sweet. I wonder if it would have tasted that sweet to me two months ago- before primal. I always enjoyed grapefruit, but always felt they had a bitter after taste. I am feeling full and satisfied at this time. I'm not sure what else I will eat today as I have a rather empty fridge- but I am sure I'll find something Tomorrow will be a down day. Saturday and Sunday will both be up days as Sunday is easter sunday.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Feeling great this morning after my Up day. No more headache! Methinks I had a bit of a histamine intolerance reaction to the chicken broth the eve before.

I am fasting all day, except for some beef bouillon (had some last night & no reaction today, yay!) and tea with cream. This eve we are going to our local "Green Drinks", a monthly social gathering/networking event for those interested in "green" issues. It's held in a Primal-friendly ale house that specializes in local food-super cheap at happy hour! I will skip the wine, this week, but will definitely be noshing (within reason!). Free-range Buffalo wings and pastured pork tacos!

Page 8 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast