Page 7 of 159 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 7

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Assuming I can ever get to maintenance, I think I'd like to do something like 5:2 with a warrior diet.

On the LC friends forum, it seems as though there are a number of people doing JUDDD with fast 5. Doesn't seem that far off from JUDDD with warrior-style. Although, I'm not sure that I can eat 1700 calories (my UD) at one meal on a regular basis...

First question: Are any of you responsible for cooking for someone else (child, husband, elderly parent) and if so, how do you handle fasting or doing the down day while fixing food for others? I ask because I have to prepare meals (well, at least dinner) for my mom. While she understands this new way of eating (Primal), I think if I told her I was fasting, it could lead to a conversation I don't want to have. I did visit Dr. Johnson's UDDD page for the details, and see I can have around 500 calories on the down day, so I realize I'm not exactly fasting.
    Second question: Should I do the 500 calories within a certain time frame, or spread it out? I can easily consume those calories with my bulletproof coffee and a tasty protein shake in the first part of the day.
    Last edited by desertcreature; 03-27-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: clarification
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

^Yes. I save my DD calories for one nice meal with DH and mom. I cook extra on UDs so there's always food for DH - it is sometimes too tempting on DD (not because I'm hungry, but I'm rather sensitive to cues and I like to taste what I'm cooking). Honestly, I haven't told DH about this (the latest in many different tweaks) and he has not appeared to notice - even when we went on a trip together.

Forgot your 2nd question I like one meal - it seems to fill me up and I don't require anything else. Others do well to split it up. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    So it requires 36 hours to effect the SR whateveritscalled chemical? dang it. Hunger was prevalent today. Was going to come home and eat a little. 7pm was the 24 hour mark. Looks like I'll be waiting until morning.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    So it requires 36 hours to effect the SR whateveritscalled chemical? dang it. Hunger was prevalent today. Was going to come home and eat a little. 7pm was the 24 hour mark. Looks like I'll be waiting until morning.
    I think that's what someone said above....but I am not sure how hard and fast that is? You could always start out aiming for the 24 hours, then after you get used to it try for 36hours? The fasting has to be for life for permanent benefit anyway, so it really wouldn't matter if it takes a few months to get to the 36 hour fast.

Regarding cooking for others - I don't fortunately, I cook for myself and hubby cooks for himself, unless it's a special occasion. But actually that's hard because when I was hungry last night and had my little salad, he had a giant steak with mash potato and some scones! I actually think though that it's easier this way - as it's only twice a week I have to cut calories, giving me more lee way the other days to cook a meal we'll both eat, that isn't being forced to fit around some pre-determined calorie level for me. If that makes sense?

I ate two small meals, but some people do a single one. I think one of the actual control trials, where women feasted one day, fasted the next, it was a single 500cal meal for lunch.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I think there is some confusion here about down day.................. its not a 36 hour completely NO food fast. Its 36 hours with only 500 +/- calories. Its never a complete fast.

So, say its your UP day. You eat normally all day long then after dinner starts the 36 hours. Say 7 PM Monday - so for the next 36 hours - you eat only 500 ish calories. At 7 AM Wednesday you start UP day again and will eat to satiety that day.

Am I right?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I think there is some confusion here about down day.................. its not a 36 hour completely NO food fast. Its 36 hours with only 500 +/- calories. Its never a complete fast.

So, say its your UP day. You eat normally all day long then after dinner starts the 36 hours. Say 7 PM Monday - so for the next 36 hours - you eat only 500 ish calories. At 7 AM Wednesday you start UP day again and will eat to satiety that day.

Am I right?

That is what I am doing, but only twice per week, not every other day

Paleobird Guest
    How many calories in low carb internet spam?^^^^^

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Although, I'm not sure that I can eat 1700 calories (my UD) at one meal on a regular basis...
    Try more fat, like coconut milk! I can easily eat 3500 calories in one meal. Pound of meat (use drippings as broth, adding bone stock before drinking), side of cooked veggies, a few eggs, some avocados, and a cup of coconut milk - or two!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 7 of 159 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast