Page 66 of 159 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 66

Lilac is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi all! I've been lurking in the forums since January (and have been mostly primal since then as well), and finally decided to sign up today so that I can join in on this thread as I start ADF. I just made it through all the pages of this thread and wow, thank you for all the great information! I decided to try ADF as I have hit a plateau with my weight loss (perhaps a set point? not sure) and I'd like to break through. I've been eating primal low carb (approx 50 total carbs a day (I don't count net), mostly from veggies) and have had great success with weight loss at that range (since I'm in ketosis). I'd like to continue low carb primal while doing ADF, although I'm not sure how easy it will be to stay at 50 carbs on the ud's, since I need to eat somewhere around 2500 calories (although I'm sure I can stay below 100 carbs, easily). I'm not eating any wheat, grains, added sugar, or fruit (although I'd like to have a few berries every once in a while). I am eating dairy.

I have a couple of questions:
    (1) For those of you that are staying low carb, how many carbs are you eating on your ud's? I realize that I will probably have to just figure out what works for me, but I am curious if any of you have found that sweet spot yet.
    (2) I used the JUDDD calculator and I'm not sure if I should go with the figures for light exercise (2454/491) or moderate exercise (2767/553). I do a hour of strength training (lifting weights) three times per week (this is a tough workout, and I am actually starting crossfit in two weeks so this will be replaced by crossfit). I take at least one rest day per week. The other three days per week I move slowly (walking, hiking or cycling at a pace where my heart rate doesn't exceed 70%) for anywhere between 30 minutes to 45 minutes. I plan on starting to do some sprinting or HIIT on one of those days instead of walking. Any thoughts? I'm also not sure if I can even eat 2700 calories on an ud - that seems like an awful lot.

Thanks.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the thread! I'm one of those who has a hard time eating all my up day calories, so generally my carbs stay at around 50-60 g per day. That seems to work very well for me anyway, so it's all good. I have good appetite supression and zero cravings.

As far as the exercise goes, I'd think you'd be able to go for the moderate exercise.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Veronica, it's really only been in the last 1.5 weeks or so that I've let things slip. A nibble of a muffin here, 2 m&ms there. What I thought was so benign, I think, is what is making this so horrible. Up until now, I have been so strict. So committed. I don't know what I was thinking! ERK!

I made my primal pizza on Sunday hoping it would help kill the other craving, and it didn't do a thing. And, potatoes, I don't think are a good option for me. I can sniff one and put on a pound of water weight.

There are just some things I need to work through and somehow come to peace with.

On a brighter note, my DD is going well. Cravings are still there, but it's just that ONE craving for Pizza hut pizza. Went through the entire morning of baking donuts, muffins, croissants, turn overs and dutch letters without the urge to eat any of it. I think perhaps this unkickable craving is almost purely emotional. Pizza hut pizza was my favorite go to stress eating/emotional eating item. Every time the world was getting too big, I would order and binge. So, I think some of that is going on with me.

Doesn't help that I lost a lamb yesterday and 13 tomato plants in the last 2 days between weather and my stupid piece of shit dog eating them.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry about your lamb!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    Glad morning~ youve answered it for yourself. you are still suffering from cravings because you are still occasionally letting those nonprimal things into your diet. Once you eliminate them by sticking to primal the cravings will go away. I know if I continued to let sugars/wheat products in then my blood surger would spike ,and then would come the inevitable crash and then the cravings. Don't give into it,it won't help the cravings only make them worse! Stay strong. I find reaffirming what I'm doing everyone in awhile helps, re-read the primal blueprint, read wheat belly, watch a documentary, remind yourself of why you are doing this, it helps!

252dip~ I hope that juuddd helps you from a health perspective as well! Good luck! I need to pick up the book myself, I think it would help me understand the whys and how's of the diet.

Ekatherine~ it's cool your messing around with how to do the fasting, keep us updated on how that works for you!

Mom23kids~ wow that really sucks about your neighbor but I think it's great that you are trying to make healthy changes for yourself! I had a question for you since you have been doing juuddd for a long time, did you ever come across women who were breast feeding while trying to lose weight on juuddd? I ask because I'm actively trying to concieve and once I have the baby I can see myself going back to juuddd but wonder if it would affect milk production?

Sabine~ what's a fat fast menu?

Hmmm, don't know about the bf-good question!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I learned about the Fat-Fast through Atkins. He suggests them for breaking plateaus and/or getting into ketosis.

It is a diet of 1,000K per day, 90%+ fat, 10% protein, only trace carbs(as in cream or eggs). (Caveat- he says it can be dangerous for some people to use, as they might lose weight TOO quickly. Read up on it.) He suggests it be used no longer than one week, if I recall correctly. The longest I have ever done it is four days.

It is incredibly BORING. But it knocks cravings out completely for me, so I use it once in a while.

Since I have been having the strange problem of not being hungry on my Up Days, and then being hungry on my Down Days, I thought it would be interesting to try a Fat-Fast Down Day (keeping to my limit of 420 calories). My hunger just vanishes during Fat Fasts. I suppose it is the combination of satiety from the fat, and the 'fasting' effect of hunger suppression. In any case, I thought I'd give it a shot.

So far, so good. I nibbled my liverwurst when I started feeling a little bit hungry, around noon. I'm planning on a tablespoon of mascarpone around 3:00. Oh, that reminds me, I better make that jello. I decided I don't want to have the artificial sweeteners from diet-jello, so I think I will make it with cream(my fat source), water, and gelatin. I'll let you know how it works out.
    Last edited by Sabine; 04-23-2013 at 01:19 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Be careful on a fat fast to track your macros. Eating anything that is much less than 90% fat can drag down your entire day out of the target fat range. I plan in advance.

While it can be boring, it can also be liberating not to have to do meals. I traveled in February and took with me several jars of macadamia nuts. 5 ounces a day is a day's intake on the fat fast. It was so much easier than packing food or looking in airports for a gluten-free alternative, as I usually do.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I have my standard go-tos that I use on Fat-Fasts. My favorites are liverwurst and pork rinds with sour cream. I have seen different 'recipes' for variety (and bought a cookbook dedicated to them) but usually I just use the easy things I am familiar with.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Well, my newly tailored jeans fit very well, so I'm happy (and relieved). Now here's hoping I shrink out of them soon!

My DD is tomorrow. Was going to do it today, but needed to have food to accompany some medication several times during the day, plus a long-awaited social outing, so all plans went out the window. Looking forward to tomorrow though - I've planned exactly what I'm having and it's waiting in the fridge, so there are no ifs and buts. I find forward planning is important to success; disorganisation = eating chaos for me.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After my second potato hack day yesterday, I hit a new low of 128.5lbs I want my new maintenance range to be 127-129, so I accomplished my goal yay! I had planned on doing one more potato day today, but yesterday I read Primal Body, Primal Mind, by Nora Gedgaurdas and I'm now super excited to jump into primal eating and might start today My norm uds are usually filled with processed foods, sugar and bad carbs, so I may lose a bit of weight, just in the transition?

My kitchen is not primal friendly though, so I need to go shopping but money is tight this week so I only have about $40 to work with. I was thinking 1-2 whole chickens and doing them in the crockpot and then using the meat for salads and such, a couple dozen eggs, some basic produce like lettuce, and then hopefully I'd have enough leftover to get the ingredients to make the tomato soup and mini spicy meatball recipes Mark posted a few days ago-that would be several meals worth.