Page 6 of 154 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 6

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

I could deal with the hunger, no problem, but this morning I woke up at 8 with "funny" vision--like you can get pre-migraine and a mild headache (I rarely have headaches/migraines.)

Is this a normal symptom? Like detoxing? I've never had this before on my 16-20 hour IFs.

The funny vision went away after eating. Still have a slight headache.
    could be an electrolyte imbalance.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    could be an electrolyte imbalance.
    Yes, possibly. I did drink lots of water & homemade chicken broth & I took extra Magnesium (to avoid constipation.) Maybe my Potassium was out of whack...? Anyway, I'm fine & taking it easy this morning.

Paleobird Guest
    I wonder how much difference there is between a daily 24 hr IF warrior diet style and this plan? Anybody compared the two?

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I'm in! Today is down day...........

1 egg - fried in 1 TB Kerrygold! (yum)

Hot tea through the afternoon, with stevia

3 oz beef patty and steamed veg's for dinner.

so far so good.

today's weight 183.6
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I wonder how much difference there is between a daily 24 hr IF warrior diet style and this plan? Anybody compared the two?
    I think the main difference would be the length of the fasting window. I believe it needs to be over 30 hours to activate the SIRT1, so Warrior, at 20-24 hours, wouldn't be enough.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    So Sabine, I think I am correct in my memory that under 500 calories is still within what Johnson considered a fast? Is there science to back this up or was his an N=1 experiment as well.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I think the main difference would be the length of the fasting window. I believe it needs to be over 30 hours to activate the SIRT1, so Warrior, at 20-24 hours, wouldn't be enough.
    But on the DDs you are not really fasting. Lower calories are still enough to make the SIRT1 kick in?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Paleobird, I have not heard of that particular version of IF, but really I think the point is that it is not that great for us to keep our intake the same day after day week after week. I mean even if you take into account the types of foods that are available for each season we would have to do some version of alternating right?
    Yeah, I can see the merit in the "mixing things up" reasoning.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    I did my first fast yesterday, along the lines of it being only 500cal over 36 hours. It was suprisingly easy, more so than last time I tried - perhaps because my thyroid is better medicated these days? When I got up this morning I didn't have a raging hunger, which I had kind of expected, so I went for a walk pre breakfast.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But on the DDs you are not really fasting. Lower calories are still enough to make the SIRT1 kick in?
    Apparently yes. Dr Michael Mosely did the 5:2 regime for 5 weeks, and halfed his levels of the S1RT1. I think that was the thing they were measuring - lower levels decrease risk of cancer etc? And he stuck to 600cal or less on his down days, but not a complete fast.

Page 6 of 154 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast