Page 54 of 159 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 54

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by elkay7 View Post
    Weighed in today and I am down 7 lbs in my first 11 days, down to 172 lbs. Oh my gosssshhhh! My fiance is doing ADF too and is down 5 lbs. Motivation motivation motivation.
    Yay! That's great progress. Do you think it's only from ADF, or have you made other simultaneous changes?
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think I want to give this a try, but I'm still a bit confused. It is easier for me to just eat nothing for 24 hours than to eat a small amount. I'm not sure that i can eat nothing for 36 hours though. Could I just fast completely for 2 days per week?

Would that lower IGF levels and increase serp1 or is it not known?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I think I want to give this a try, but I'm still a bit confused. It is easier for me to just eat nothing for 24 hours than to eat a small amount. I'm not sure that i can eat nothing for 36 hours though. Could I just fast completely for 2 days per week?

I think you pretty much have the right idea here. Really, 36 hours isn't that far a stretch. Hypothetically speaking.... you stop eating 5 pm on a monday night. That was your up day. You rise the next morning into your down day and know you will not eat until you rise again wednesday morning. A lot of folks are having a small meal at the END of the down day, because that's usually when it gets really hard. All I can say is... just try it! You won't hurt anything by just diving in and giving it a go. So what if you don't make it? Some gals here have had 600-700 calorie down days and are still kickin'

I think fasting a couple times per week is enough to change the IGF levels as shown in "Eat, Fast, Live."
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Well, I planned an extra half hour into my early morning to make breakfast, but as usual the thought of eating this early made me a little sick. BUT! I arose this morning at a new primal low- 272 even. YIP!

So, I have monthly goals, but I also have medium length goals and long term goals. My medium length goals are in 30 lb increments. I've hit the first one at 280 lbs. I set it there because that was the last time I could remember feeling "ok" about myself. The next one is at 250. This is how much I weighed when I went to college. I felt pretty good about myself then. Of course, I gained the freshmen FIFTY that year.... haha!

Anyway, so the thought of being only 22 lbs away from my next 30 goal is really exciting. I know I'll be there before I know it, and I'm going to have a party!

Oh, and in case you were wondering, my long term goal is getting down to 200 pounds. This is not my ideal weight, but when I look back at pictures from when I was younger and in there around 200, I think, man, I looked good. Of course, at the time I was 15-16 years old and hated how I looked. In honest terms, if I never get below 200, I'll be ok with that. I do believe my ideal weight is about 175-180. If I can get to 200, and start weight training and tone everything up, I'll be happy.

After all, this has never been about vanity for me. Honestly, my main goal is strength. I need to get stronger!

If you really look inward, what are your true goals? Reasons for carrying on?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

Actually, technically, in the ADF plan, there isn't a set time. You eat on your Up day, and you eat up to 500 (or whatever you decide for that day-there is a "calculator" on the Johnson Up Day Down Day website ...UpDayDownDay Diet™ Plan ? How to Succeed) on your Down Day. According to that site, you would eat normally on your Up Day, then when you wake up the next day that is your Down Day. You can choose to do a liquid fast, a water fast, or eat up to the 500 calories in one meal or in a few small meals.

Now, once you come onto this thread then you can see all the variations of that. And that is the beauty of it, the flexibility to make it work for you with any style of eating you choose to do.

Good Luck.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Actually, technically, in the ADF plan, there isn't a set time. You eat on your Up day, and you eat up to 500 (or whatever you decide for that day-there is a "calculator" on the Johnson Up Day Down Day website ...UpDayDownDay Diet™ Plan ? How to Succeed) on your Down Day. According to that site, you would eat normally on your Up Day, then when you wake up the next day that is your Down Day. You can choose to do a liquid fast, a water fast, or eat up to the 500 calories in one meal or in a few small meals.
    The great thing is that even though it would seem like you ought to need to eat twice as much on an up day, so many of us have refused to permit ourselves to eat a normal amount of food for so long that it seems like a whole lot.

It's a DD today. My weight is exactly where I would have predicted it should be. I will be eating ~365 calories in potatoes today.

I look so skinny. Relatively speaking, of course. Time to go run. I love exercising fasted. Burn that fat.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Ok so back down the 1.4 lbs after my dd, 215.2 lbs. I just realized that my two week weigh in on ADF is going to land after and ud....:/ oh well we shall see the results! So today is an up day and im going to try my hand at making ribs! Wish me luck!

Jammies- personally I like having 500 cals on my dd and 2100 cals on my ud. My dd consists of 100 calories of cream in my coffee in the morning and then a 400 calories dinner at about 6pm. If you count from the time that I'm sleeping till the time I eat dinner it's about a 24 hour fast. Like demuralist said, to to the Juuddd site and see what your calories work out to.

Lauren- congrats on the 7 lbs!

Side note: has anyone recalculated since they drops some weight? The juuddd calculator is now telling me a dd is 419 cals and an ud is 2093. However I'm gonna stick to 500 dd and then to 2012 cals instead.
    Last edited by vlo1125; 04-17-2013 at 05:33 AM.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what's going on but I haven't slept in a week. I've been waking up EXTREMELY early. Now, my normal pattern is to wake up early...like around 2 or 3, but for the past week I've been waking up at midnight or 1 am and can't get back to sleep. Today I'm really feeling the cumulative effect of all that. I'm taking a melatonin tonight for sure, lol.

It's a down day for me and I've already decided that I'm going to up my calories by about 100 today.

Veronica - I have recalculated a couple of times, but in the end I'm using a slower weight-loss percentage to figure mine, so I'm getting a slightly higher down day amount.

Elkay - Congratulationson your great start! That's amazing!

Jammies - Welcome!!! I'm one of those who tries to spread the 500 calories over the day, but honestly I DO think sometimes it's easier to just fast or eat the one meal at the end of the day. Sometimes I actually get hungrier after I eat a little something.

Gladmorning - Awesome job on the new low!! My true goal is to be healthy, but in order to do that I'm going to have to lose some weight. The weight is more about the health than vanity, though I WILL feel better about myself in a lot of ways once I do. I have a couple of medical issues which will be improved by a loss of weight.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Leaflard is offline Senior Member
    Grats Gladmorning! That is fantastic.

Today is an UD and I'm very happy about this! Yesterday, I fasted until 5pm and then had a solid 500 cal nosh. It's a very active day for me with CrossFit and then soccer this evening. I'm still laying in bed daydreaming about what I really want to eat today. It's nice to be able to have limitless possibility when working with such a huge (to my mind!) budget of UD calories.

Have a great day all!

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Leaflard, if you're like me, you'll get a bit frustrated because on my up days I am not hungry enough to eat all that stuff I dreamt about, lol.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter