Page 50 of 158 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 50

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This (FRESH) is the movie that inspired me to start my farm two years ago. I was so moved, I was literally in tears sitting in my city apartment. It all just made so much sense. So, here I am, and I owe it all to that movie to open my eyes. I distinctly remember sitting in my dark apartment, alone, bingeing on an entire large pizza hut pizza. By the end of the movie, I felt sick that I had eaten it. It wasn't the turning point for my diet, but it was certainly the beginning of my new life. I try to have everyone watch it now. That and Farmageddon.
    Wow! That is so inspiring, Gladmorning!

I actually have a degree in agronomy, but my forté is not growing plants (I found out the hard way through my many gardens!) Nutrition coaching is much more fun for me & pays better, too!

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    Watching Food Matters on Netflix, so far it seems like it has a raw vegan agenda..... What's a good documentary to watch?

I'm down another 1.4 lbs from my dd yesterday, 215.2 lbs!!! I made my first goal! Gonna keep it going for sure!
    Like others said, Fat Head is great! Also King Corn and Food Inc are both great, plus Mosley's documentary Also, you can find Gary Taubes lectures on You Tube and he's very informative.

elkay7 is offline Member

Pear girl problems

Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    This happens to me, while for most people 15-20 lbs makes them drop a pant size it can take me 40 to 45 lbs to drop to the next size. Very frustrating , it's because I'm a pear shape and carry most of my weight in my butt and thighs. I weighed 255 in September and wore a tight size 20, now I weigh 217 and I'm still wearing 20's albeit baggy. I've lost almost 38 lbs so im guessing in another 5 ill be able to fit a size 18.
    I need to check this forum everyday, wow I just read a lot of posts. I love that this support forum is so active.

I have this same issue Veronica, it takes me forever to lose a pant size because so much of my weight is distributed in my butt and thighs. I gave in a bought a scale this weekend since I realized pant size changes me take so long and I might be demotivated by that. I have lost 4 lbs since I started last week. Progress tracked here: Lauren Tries Out Alternate Day Fasting

I feel like I have to eat in a paleo/primal way in order to stay below the 500 calorie threshold and get the nutrients I need. I managed to fit a yogurt into yesterday's fast day, which was exciting and decadent.

Also I like mom23kids's idea of doing 5:2 for maintenance. I would like to get to the point where I am at a healthy weight and just have maintenance work.

-Lauren

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Discovered something this morning at Aldi, which I think will fit nicely into Down Day menus: wild-caught salmon fillets, 4oz each at 100K, with 20g protein. I'm baking one in the oven as I type, and plan on eating it with 1t homemade mayo for a 133K meal.

Elkay, just checked out your ADF blog. Very good. I look forward to reading more.

I needed a protein hit, so ate a .6 pound grass-fed sirloin tip for my dd. OMG, so good!

I figure it was somewhere between a cornfed steak at 700 calories and venison steak at 400 calories. Call it 600!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I just ate the last potato of the pound I boiled: 327 calories. That leaves me 50 calories for a snack when I get home, or should I say "snack". It's a good thing tomorrow is an UD.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elkay7 View Post
    I need to check this forum everyday, wow I just read a lot of posts. I love that this support forum is so active.

I have this same issue Veronica, it takes me forever to lose a pant size because so much of my weight is distributed in my butt and thighs. I gave in a bought a scale this weekend since I realized pant size changes me take so long and I might be demotivated by that. I have lost 4 lbs since I started last week. Progress tracked here: Lauren Tries Out Alternate Day Fasting

I feel like I have to eat in a paleo/primal way in order to stay below the 500 calorie threshold and get the nutrients I need. I managed to fit a yogurt into yesterday's fast day, which was exciting and decadent.

Also I like mom23kids's idea of doing 5:2 for maintenance. I would like to get to the point where I am at a healthy weight and just have maintenance work.

-Lauren
    Welcome Lauren! Do u just eat primal on dd's?

Sabine~ dang it! I was just at aldi today too, wish I would've seen the salmon I need to buy some as we don't get enough fish in our diet.

Dragonfly~ sounds yummy! Where do you get your meat? We haven't switched to grass fed yet because I can't get over the sticker shock. But I've been trying to see the prices for local farms, there's one not too far off from where I live but again prices are steep!

I had a good up day, actually went over my calories by 100 cause my husband wanted to try some of the red wine we just bought at trader joes. I've noticed the scale is usually up the day after a glass of wine so we shall see. I also had coffee ice cream I made and boy was it rich! The recipe called for coconut milk but I used heavy cream instead. For a second I thought I was going to accidentally make coffee flavored butter lol! It was so creamy and delicious but I had to separate in to 1/4 cup servings, as it has 337 calories and 29 g of fat in that amount! Here's the recipe in case anyone wants to try Coffee Ice Cream - The Food Lovers Kitchen next time ill probably do half coconut milk half heavy cream. Oh and also I use half the amount of syrup the recipe calls for plus 1 packet of stevia.
    Last edited by vlo1125; 04-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

Dragonfly~ sounds yummy! Where do you get your meat? We haven't switched to grass fed yet because I can't get over the sticker shock. But I've been trying to see the prices for local farms, there's one not too far off from where I live but again prices are steep!
    Veronica~ We get ours from a local farm about 30 min drive from here. So we go out once a month & stock up our freezer. They have monthly specials on their emails (great marketing, IMO!) and we got sirloin tips for $4.50 a pound! (I have paid 7.99 a pound in the past, as a comparison.)

Have you checked out eatwild.com?

Seeing more articles like this one today make me really glad we only buy grassfed, antibiotic & hormone-free meat.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Well suffice it to say that my dd today turned into an up day. I am seriously considering doing my dd on my work days. Doing it on off days just very difficult.

Leaflard is offline Senior Member
    Hello everyone!

I've been lurking in this thread since its inception and have finally decided to take the plunge! I lost @100lbs several years back while vegan and have maintained since then while eating a Paleo-style diet. These days I'm more of a WAPF/Perfect Health Diet kinda gal. Anyway, I would like to drop-kick the final 30ish pounds that I've lugged around but would like to do so in a way that is sustainable, and I think the 5:2 is something that would jive with me [that is, if the UDDD protocol is successful!].

Yesterday was my first DD and it wasn't bad, actually. I ate one small meal later in the day: Grilled skirt steak and roasted sweet potato ~500 cal. I smiled when I got out of bed this morning knowing that a good breakfast was awaiting me. I had eggs fried in coconut oil, bacon and hash browns. I spent the morning doing yard work and then came in a gnawed on a chicken thigh and leg with a glass of kombucha. Dinner was a bowl of sprouted rice and lentils with hot buttered kale and grilled skirt steak.

I love the support and kindness of this thread. Thank you for being so inclusive!