Page 45 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 45

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sounds like many of us had struggles today. There must be something in the air. That cold front passing, perhaps?

I did have 310 calories this afternoon. Well within my Down Day total. Maybe complete fasting is not in the cards for me right now, even though it is usually easier. But not today, so I guess that tells me something. I ate something, then I got out of the kitchen so I wouldn't just keep eating. And eating. And eating. You know how that goes. You have to give your brain time to realize you've eaten. But I am still hungry. Looking forward to tomorrow, that's for sure!

Valmason- Every day is a fresh start with JUDDD. Hope your Monday goes just as you want it to.

Okay, Gladmorning, I do not usually weigh later in the day, but prompted by your question, I went and jumped on the scale. 191.0, exactly what I was this morning. Hmm, good or bad? Or completely unrelated to anything(that's my bet)?

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Well, I WAS having a pretty good day until I ate, lol. I ate dinner about 4 pm and since then I've been slightly hungry and wanting to eat more. I did have some cream cheese and that's calmed things down.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Sabine, I have had a few down days in which I was actually lighter at the end of the day. But it doesnt happen a lot.

I guess yesterday was alright! New low of at least three years- 273.2. -1lb down from yesterday. Of course, I bet ya I'll be up 2-3 lbs by the end of the weekened.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    *staggers to the end of the thread and collapses, panting*

Phew! Just ploughed through all these posts in one day. Hi everyone.

This topic very much interests me. My body needs something of a shake-up to get things finally moving in the right direction again, and ADF/5:2 seems very doable to me having regular UDs rather than trying to screw everything down tight ALL the time.

I have read the Mosley book, and think my initial protocol will be 5:2 with just one evening meal on DDs. I don't react well to going to bed hungry that makes falling asleep very difficult in my experience. I'm okay with not eating much during the day; I rarely have breakfast nowadays, and don't have too much trouble lunching late anyway. But we'll see how my body feels about being kept to only about 500 cal for a day! I plan to have my DD when I'm not at work (can do without the well-meaning scrutiny of colleagues concerned that I'm not eating all day, plus I'm usually busier and on my feet and out and about more when not at work, so can more easily ignore any passing hunger waves).

I can only hope I can achieve anywhere near the fat loss success that some of you lovely peeps are having! Most impressive. I'm aiming to lose 12 kg (about 26 lb) to get back to a weight which makes me comfortable again. It's been a few years (sigh). I'm a classic wagon-faller-offer, which is why "doability" is really important. I do mostly surround myself with good quality foods, but often consume just too much of them and I think I've been unrealistic about my calorie intake for a long time. I need to be careful to avoid unnecessary or excessive caloric intake through poor habits, inadvertence or impulsive behaviour. I hope ADF/5:2 will provide the structure to allow a good balance between energy use and storage, utilise some of the benefits of fasting, and gain a heightened appreciation of food.

I really appreciate the encouragement and support of this thread. Best of ongoing luck to us all.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

So, I realize I am only 3 pounds from my end of April goal. It blows me away how fast this goes, even if you have a week that sucks SO much, it is so easy to recover, for me at least. I always set the goals when I set out to lose weight. I always fail miserably. Except this time. Not with primal. Not with ADF. Why would I ever, ever, EVER want to change?

Tonight we are going to grill out. I am going to make the Brazillian Cheese bread for my buns. Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo) Recipe - Allrecipes.com I like to let them sit out for several hours and dry out. They really are rubbery in the center when fresh baked. Incredible flavor though. A long the lines of Red Lobster's cheddar bay biscuits. A lot of carbs though.

Welcome Sigi!! I've ordered the Mosley book and have also got a copy of JUDDD coming...can't wait to read them!

I am so excited...I'm down another pound today, so 10 pounds since February 1 and 5 of those in the last two weeks since starting ADF! That just amazes me!

Today is an up day. I think I'll take my usual walk to the Farmer's Market and perhaps buy some Organic Pastures ground beef. I bought some of their cheddar and raw cream last week, and I noticed that they had ground beef. Then later today I may actually go out and look at cars. Mine is getting old and I figure I'd better get a new one while I'm still employed, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by George604 View Post
    I did this for about 6 weeks last fall. Very harsh and unhealthy.
    So are you Sally or George? You posted this same thing earlier in the thread as Sally.

Sigi, welcome and good luck! There is a lot of support to go around here, and I hope it goes well for you.

I do my DDs at work. They ask me, "aren't you going to eat anything?" I just say, "nope, not hungry today." They haven't picked up on the every other day pattern. People are going to ask you, because THEY are eating and it might very well make them uncomfortable that you're not. Don't let work and social situation rule you. Do what you need to do for YOU.

When I first went primal, I was so nervous of social events. I didn't know what to say, how to eat, what to order, how to decline food/drink. By the time I went ADF, I honestly couldn't give a crap. If people ask, and REALLY want to know beyond short term curiosity beyond why I'm not eating, I tell them. My whole family knows and is actually quite supportive of it. They eat and I am merry with them. Other people usually give me the bug eye, and I just suggest they look up the science behind regular fasting.

Again, good luck to you. Hope it helps break your stall.

Congratulations Gladmorning!!! You are so very close and you have a very healthy outlook on all this, lol!!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I've posted before that I did ADF for 2 years to lose my last 100 lbs, and I thought I'd add some 'tips' that worked for me.

Many people on the board I was on at the time, ate only once on DDs and at the end of the day. I can't do that. I happen to be a morning person, and breakfast is my biggest (and favorite) meal of the day. I typically had 400 cal DDs, and I normally ate 200 of those cal. at breakfast. At first I was afraid to eat so much so early, but I found that eating to my own 'biorhythms' worked. I just wasn't hungry later on and often stayed at 350 cal.

I ate almost exclusively protein--tuna and egg whites. My 50 cal 'meal' was 1/2 cup of egg whites microwaved in a soup mug for a mini-omelet. I also found that bone broth was very filling--I added vinegar and hot sauce to get a 'hot and sour' flavor (that I like), and it turned out to be a great appetite suppressant.

My point is that people should eat in a way that works best for them on a DD. I used to divide up my remaining calories into 50-cal. mini-meals that I ate whenever I seemed to 'need' some food.

Another technique that I didn't believe would work--and did--is that in the late afternoon or evening when I felt hungry, it was usually just a 'craving.' That is, the actual physical hunger of a DD wasn't at all unpleasant, it was the desire for a specific food (which is a sign of a craving rather than hunger) that was annoying. I'd say to myself, "I'll have that tomorrow." And I found that tended to banish the craving. Although I fully intended to keep my promise and eat it the next day, I rarely found that I wanted it any more.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I've posted before that I did ADF for 2 years to lose my last 100 lbs, and I thought I'd add some 'tips' that worked for me.

Many people on the board I was on at the time, ate only once on DDs and at the end of the day. I can't do that. I happen to be a morning person, and breakfast is my biggest (and favorite) meal of the day. I typically had 400 cal DDs, and I normally ate 200 of those cal. at breakfast. At first I was afraid to eat so much so early, but I found that eating to my own 'biorhythms' worked. I just wasn't hungry later on and often stayed at 350 cal.

I ate almost exclusively protein--tuna and egg whites. My 50 cal 'meal' was 1/2 cup of egg whites microwaved in a soup mug for a mini-omelet. I also found that bone broth was very filling--I added vinegar and hot sauce to get a 'hot and sour' flavor (that I like), and it turned out to be a great appetite suppressant.

My point is that people should eat in a way that works best for them on a DD. I used to divide up my remaining calories into 50-cal. mini-meals that I ate whenever I seemed to 'need' some food.

Another technique that I didn't believe would work--and did--is that in the late afternoon or evening when I felt hungry, it was usually just a 'craving.' That is, the actual physical hunger of a DD wasn't at all unpleasant, it was the desire for a specific food (which is a sign of a craving rather than hunger) that was annoying. I'd say to myself, "I'll have that tomorrow." And I found that tended to banish the craving. Although I fully intended to keep my promise and eat it the next day, I rarely found that I wanted it any more.
    You are an inspiration to us all.

After my first down day (an evening meal of 414 calories including a 6 yolk kimchi omelet, pat of butter, and half a head of iceberg lettuce) I dropped down 1.6 pounds, a pleasing whoosh. I haven't weighed this little in 25 years. I will shortly go out for a long walk. The plan is to have a 900 calorie low carb lunch and a 900 calorie high carb supper, a la Nate Miyaki of Intermittent Feasting.