Page 4 of 159 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 4

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am drinking a cup of bouillon with butter and the smell of it keeps reminding me of my "unstuffed cabbage soup", rats!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    This sounds interesting, but at the moment I am still doing fast-5 IF with a potato hack snack. I think it's a bit early to do any more tweaking while this seems to be working.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I would like to caution if you're going to shoot for a heavy caloric deficit with regular fasting AND do it all while being low-carb, you may want to seriously consider supplementation to aid your thyroid and adrenals. Each one of those things on their own is known to stress your thyroid and adrenals, but together it's the perfect storm. You may want to look for thyroid and adrenal powder made from actual cow thyroid and adrenal glands, as well as supplement with kelp tablets to provide iodine. Your glands will thank you.

I mean, this is pretty much some of the most hardcore dieting you can do aside from straight fasting with only supplementation. If I were you I'd seriously consider looking into weekly refeedings as well to help aid your metabolism with a considerable amount of the refeed coming from sugar, not just from starch. Your liver will be chronically depleted, so making sure your refeeds contain sugar to refill liver glycogen is important.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-26-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I would like to caution if you're going to shoot for a heavy caloric deficit with regular fasting AND do it all while being low-carb, you may want to seriously consider supplementation to aid your thyroid and adrenals. Each one of those things on their own is known to stress your thyroid and adrenals, but together it's the perfect storm. You may want to look for thyroid and adrenal powder made from actual cow thyroid and adrenal glands, as well as supplement with kelp tablets to provide iodine. Your glands will thank you.

I mean, this is pretty much some of the most hardcore dieting you can do aside from straight fasting with only supplementation. If I were you I'd seriously consider looking into weekly refeedings as well to help aid your metabolism with a considerable amount of the refeed coming from sugar, not just from starch. Your liver will be chronically depleted, so making sure your refeeds contain sugar to refill liver glycogen is important.
    Appreciate the heads up on the supplements.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    To respond to some questions and comments--

I only discovered Primal in the middle of my JUDDD life, but by that time, the only change I needed to make was to give up peanut butter (which I had rarely). I had already given up grains and dairy, and I've been buying only grass-fed beef and bison for years--mainly to avoid feedlot meat. I was eating low carb because I learned long ago that I'm extremely carb sensitive, and I actually thrive on low carb eating.

Unlike the current crop of junk food eaters on low carb friends, in those days, most of us realized that we needed to get the best nutrition for our limited calories.

On DDs, I eat almost all protein--salmon, shrimp, eggwhites mainly. I find protein satiating. Even on UDs, my focus is to get my protein minimum met. I happen to be very carb sensitive, so I'm rarely above 25g of carbs daily, and usually closer to 10-15g.

As to the 'stress' on the thyroid that is referred to by ChocoTaco, I was hypothyroid well before I began losing weight, and when I told my endo about JUDDD, he thought is was a terrific plan for someone like me who has to keep calories low. The fact that I had no change in my thyroid Rx while eating this way suggests that there is no 'stress' on the thyroid as is believed. Certainly my endo didn't see any problem with this WOE--he was my biggest cheerleader.

I usually allowed myself one high calorie day every two weeks (perhaps 2,000 cal), and that seemed to help, but I generally remained low carb. I tended to do a 'carb day' every two months or so because I'd read that it is good for the body. I'm not sure how 'good' it is, but it never seemed to harm me.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I would like to caution if you're going to shoot for a heavy caloric deficit with regular fasting AND do it all while being low-carb, you may want to seriously consider supplementation to aid your thyroid and adrenals.
    I can't address the supplementation issue, but if those doing JUDDD are using the numbers offered by Dr. Johnsons' site, the reduction is not what would call a 'heavy' caloric deficit. My two day average is supposed to be 1,360 (although I do not count on my Up days and just eat to desire), which is certainly not extreme.

Having done several longer fasts before, I am familiar with the 'bonk' feeling when my glycogen runs out. That hasn't happened with these short fasts, and with eating small amounts on the Down Days, I don't see it being much of a risk for the average person. But it would be good to educate yourself on the topic.

Also, this is more appropriate for the Debate and Science companion thread. Thanks.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Ha HA! This is awesome. Like so many others, I have been thinking about this, and even doing some ADF. Mostly I've been getting into IF. In the last 7 days I have done two 19/5 one 17/7 one 42 hour fast and three 18/6. This has brought on a 7 lbs loss in one week. This is my second month primal. I am loving the fasting. It's challenging. It gives me something to work toward. Every day gets easier. I guess it could be kinda interesting. Eating every other day... Ifing this week helped me blast through the little plateau I had hit and brought on success like I never dreamed. Obviously, I don't expect it to stay this consistent.

But hey, I'm all for a support group! It would be nice to have a non argumentative thread for once. I guess tomorrow with be a DD for me since I ate myself silly on baked chicken tonight. Ok, I didn't. But it felt like it. So freakin' good.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    There is another book out, on the 5:2 method, popularized recently by the documentary on Horizon BBC. The author's name is Mosley. I'm going to spend my allowance on it, one of these weeks, and see what it has to say. And, to support someone who is writing a book about this. With no products to sell, this kind of diet can't be a big money maker, and I think I should do my bit, if it works for me.

Looking forward to my Up Day today, mostly for the tastes, not for the hunger. I made sure to save some berries from my shopping yesterday (as usual, the girls pounced on them as soon as they came into the house) so that Honey and I could enjoy them. He's disappointed that he hasn't seen a big weight loss, but still finding the Down Days to be pretty easy(he just finished #5). I tell him to be patient. So much easier to say that to BE!

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Sabine - how long has DH been at this? I know that it was almost a full week before I saw the scale start to move. And, from what I've read, JUDDD doesn't induce (in most people) huge losses -- just a nice steady loss (which I'll take if it could continue).

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    ^^ this. I just want to lose consistently. I don't need a whoosh.

Ruth..did you bounce at first?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Page 4 of 159 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast