Page 39 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 39

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ok, just skimmed through all the posts in this thread-whew!

Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    First question: Are any of you responsible for cooking for someone else (child, husband, elderly parent) and if so, how do you handle fasting or doing the down day while fixing food for others? I ask because I have to prepare meals (well, at least dinner) for my mom. While she understands this new way of eating (Primal), I think if I told her I was fasting, it could lead to a conversation I don't want to have. I did visit Dr. Johnson's UDDD page for the details, and see I can have around 500 calories on the down day, so I realize I'm not exactly fasting.
    Second question: Should I do the 500 calories within a certain time frame, or spread it out? I can easily consume those calories with my bulletproof coffee and a tasty protein shake in the first part of the day.
    On my dds I eat totally separate from my family. I have a different schedule and eat different foods. My normal dd schedule is-eat breakfast late (aim for 10am), late lunch at 1ish, have a diet hot cocoa at 3ish, and then have something before 6pm. Regardless of UDs or DDs I always close my eating window by 7pm. Having done this for a while now, it doesn't phase me to make meals for my dh and kids. I have a totally different relationship with food now, than what I did before I started JUDDD last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    I agree! I think planning is key!

I actually love my fasting days because.. well... it just makes things easier. No cooking... no scrounging up food, no taking the time to make it and eat it. I save money this way too. It's kinda depressing to wake up in the morning knowing I won't eat anything that day, but at the same time, it's relieving. Does that make sense?
    I also love the simplicity of dds!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Not eating at all on a down day is pretty hard core. I'm not sure I'd be up to that.
    There are a few on LCF who have compared total fasting days and days with some calories (their recommended calorie allotments from Johnson's site), and none of them noticed a bigger weight loss when totally fasting vs having some calories. So from a weight loss pov, there doesn't seem to be a benefit of a full fast on dds?

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Are any of you guys on Low Carb Friends? I posted a few things over there recently, and got this in my email today:

I hope this is automated.
    I love LCF, but they are annoyingly strict about what links you can post. I got flagged for posting a link to a calorie calculating site

Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I tried to start yesterday. I have been eating way too many carbs so I know my hunger trigger is off. I wasn't that hungry up until about 7 and then it was horrible. I got very very irritable and had to stop and eat immediately. I ended up eating about a 1000 calories. Then had Easter lunch today which was probably another 1000 calories. And I am hungry. Again way too many carbs. I have fixed a small green salad w/ 1/2 TBS of EVOO and 1/2 a cup of full fat greek yogurt seasoned with cinnamon for lunch tomorrow. I figure that at about 250kc. So I am thinking scrambled eggs with cheese and a salad for supper. Any suggestions to prevent horrible hunger are very welcome.
    If you are really struggling to get started, try higher calorie dds-many on the LCF forum started at 600-700 calories and then worked their way down as they got comfortable with dds. I started at 500 calories on my dds but was not able to drop below that for a couple months. Having a bit higher calories on my dds didn't stall my losses at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Up day today. Not sure what to eat. I dashed two pounds of the three pounds of water weight from yesterdays down day.
    I enjoy weighing myself everyday on adf. Actually, in general. I like to track how things move throughout the days.

Is anyone actually enjoying adf so far?
    I can honestly say that I enjoyed JUDDD, when I was in weight loss mode. I loved having the freedom that comes with the every other day schedule, as opposed to other weight loss plans that you have to stick with day in and day out. However, now that I've made goal and I'm in maintenance I've really fallen in love with the 5:2 format-doing one md and one dd each week, and then eating as I like on the other 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Yep, on the LCF thread I was reading they were pointing out the "outdated" information in the book and that was one of the things they pointed out. They essentially said that their experience was that not eating to ud potential tended to cause a stall. They lean more toward eating more rather than eating less.

For me, in my heart, I agree with eating to satisfaction. However if I was any good at that I don't think I would be 100 pounds overweight right now!
    Yep to this, eating below your UDs can definitely lead to stalls, so really try and get as close to your UD calories as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by shrinkinglo View Post
    Could I have some advice as to whether I am doing this correctly please?

I started on Sunday as an UD and my last meal was at 10.30pm
    Monday was my DD where I had 688 calories this ended today (Tuesday)at 7.30am.

Today my last meal will be around 6.30pm.

Does that sound okay? How many hours do people normally complete on the down day.

(still waiting for my book....)
    Dr. Johnson doesn't really focus on the timing of your calories on dds and neither does Dr. Mosley, of the 5:2 plan. Some have found that they prefer to eat their calories in a window, like 5 hours/8 hours, while others prefer to graze throughout the day. Just experiment and see what works better for you

Ok, all caught up! Now that I'm in maintenance I'm becoming more focused on healthy eating and over the next few months I'll be slowly transitioning from the SAD diet to a more primal one. I've read the PB and also a lot of Taubes work and I'm feeling a pull towards this way of eating. I'm curious to see how this transition will affect my 5:2 maintenance plan, if at all? I'm also starting to exercise for the first time in my life, so my body will be going through some major changes, which I'm nervous about, but also excited about

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    wow, thanks mom23kids! So there will be a back and forth here, you helping us through the rough patches with JUDDD, and us coaching you through the transition to Primal.

I was low carb before I started Primal and I thought it was a pretty easy transition. My family, well not so much. But I focus on real food, not out of a box or package, as much as possible I make it from scratch. So even if the boys are eating pizza, I have made the crust and put the thing together myself (and I make myself a casserole with the stuff minus the dough).

I am surprised you still have sugar in your diet, or was your JUDD not totally low carb?

wow, thanks mom23kids! So there will be a back and forth here, you helping us through the rough patches with JUDDD, and us coaching you through the transition to Primal.

I was low carb before I started Primal and I thought it was a pretty easy transition. My family, well not so much. But I focus on real food, not out of a box or package, as much as possible I make it from scratch. So even if the boys are eating pizza, I have made the crust and put the thing together myself (and I make myself a casserole with the stuff minus the dough).

I am surprised you still have sugar in your diet, or was your JUDD not totally low carb?
    I totally abandoned low carb eating when I transitioned to JUDDD. JUDDD itself only cares about calories, though the framework gives you the freedom to eat low carb, primal, vegetarian etc etc. I lost my weight while eating lots of sugar and fast food. Now, is that the healthiest way to eat- no. But I did lose the weight I wanted to and recent blood work came back all good (except cor a vitamin D deficiency, which is an ongoing struggle with me). Now I want to focus on strength training and need better fuel for my body. I'm also very concerned about sugar and its role with cancer, and after yet another person I know was just diagnosed with breast cancer, who is my age (30s), I really feel that its time to cut back on sugar, and focus on healthy carbs, like veggies, and eliminate the bad stuff
    Last edited by mom23kids; 04-11-2013 at 10:41 AM.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    ah, then my suggestion is to pick one thing at a time, the easiest one so you gain confidence, then go from there.

ah, then my suggestion is to pick one thing at a time, the easiest one so you gain confidence, then go from there.
    That's the plan- starting with sugar reduction and then also upping my veggie consumption. Eventually I'd like to be primal, following Mark's 80/20 idea, but it may take me a while to get there. I'm going to be spending a lot of time here, learning all I can about primal eating/living-very excited to see so many of you doing JUDDD and primal eating together

Well, yesterday and today I've gone a bit off track and I'm doing the infamous potato hack lol. Doing potato days really resets my sugar cravings and from there I'll work on reducing my sugar intake to under 20 grams a day.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Uggg, I've been awake since 1:00 am...got up at 2 and did a gentle cardio workout for about 45 minutes...I'm tired, lol. It's also a down day, so feeling slightly grouchy. Up early and not a lot of food...bad combo, lol But, fortunately I am NOT that hungry.

The really great news is that once I get home I don't have to do anything at all!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Uggg, ...It's also a down day...
    The really great news is that once I get home I don't have to do anything at all!
    I'm the opposite. On Down Days I like to have PLENTY to do, so I am not tempted to eat out of boredom. Today I am sewing some items for a craft fair I am doing this weekend.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    So I ate LOTS on my ud yesterday and felt so fatigued, I lay down for an hour's nap! No juice for activity whatsoever, though I still managed a 1.25 hour walk. I also ate too much too late, since we went to our fave alehouse for happy hour snackeroos (pork & steak tacos and fries--all organic, local, yada yada...)

I definitely over-ate -- subconsciously trying to make sure I eat enough, lol! I felt so crappy, I certainly won't do that again.

My dd so far has been really easy. Tea w/cream & water. No headaches, just breathing through the hunger signals and generally much more clear-headed than yesterday. Did a 1.25 hour walk and some bodyweight squats and will be walking for another hour or so this evening.

I re-read pklopp's primer part 3 on intermittent fasting and it was really helpful to remember some of the benefits of 36-40 hour fasts.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I'm comforted to see so many of you on the same UDDD schedule as myself. Down day. Milk in coffee as usual, however I've eaten a little. I've had a couple nibbles of the goat cheese I made last night. ohmygodhowhaveIlivedwithoutthisallmylife!

I'm never going to stop making thing. Wonder what the calorie content is on goat milk/cheese.

I've always hated goat milk/cheese. Everything from the store TASTES like a goat. YUCK! Fresh goat products are just... just... heavenly. The milk is sweet, like someone took cow milk and dashed some sugar in it. The cheese has a sweet after taste as well.

I have recovered from my potato/rice binge and I am on track again. If my ADF trend continues, I should reach my April end goal of 270. That is... if my red death doesnt ruin things and I actually stay on track and stop carbo loading. I usually have a carb refeed every two-three weeks but never back to back days. Yikes. Just goes to show how sensitive I still am. One day I can handle without a hiccup... two? Oh hell no!
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Good golly, I love goat cheese, but my only experience with it is what I can buy in Whole Foods...I bet yours is heavenly! Anything fresh is so much better.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter