Page 32 of 159 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 32

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nope- it's cool. Just sharing. I cannot be bothered to go by a number, count, weigh (food) etc. Takes all the fun out of eating good food. At my core I am still a foodie.
    me, too!

Yep, on the LCF thread I was reading they were pointing out the "outdated" information in the book and that was one of the things they pointed out. They essentially said that their experience was that not eating to ud potential tended to cause a stall. They lean more toward eating more rather than eating less.
    Ah, interesting!

For me, in my heart, I agree with eating to satisfaction. However if I was any good at that I don't think I would be 100 pounds overweight right now!
    Yeah, I have read various bits about hunger signals being messed up if you have a lot of fat cells--whether they are empty or not. Really makes sense.

219.2 this morning! That's 6.2 lbs since I started on Thursday! I haven't seen the 2teens in 3 years! I feel like my goal of 215 this month might actually be reachable!
    Yay, Veronica!

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That's fantastic, Veronica!
    thanks!

So question do you guys think its water weight, I mean, I think my first 8 lbs lost just from going primal was water weight. So is this additional 6lbs actual fat loss?
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    No surprise, I'm up a pound from yesterday's carb fest, lol. Danged water weight, lol. Today is a down day so I should recover quickly enough. Surprisingly I was not that hungry yesterday, even after all that sugar in the morning. I'm hoping it doesn't mess me up today though.

Also had a bug last night to find my old FitBit. So I'm wearing that today...I already feel motivated to move around a bit more, lol. I also dug around until I found my BodyMediaBug and will charge that up tonight when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    Guys ,ADF is miserable .........but my god does it work! 219.2 this morning! That's 6.2 lbs since I started on Thursday! I haven't seen the 2teens in 3 years! I feel like my goal of 215 this month might actually be reachable!
    I'm so sorry it's miserable, but YAY 2TEENS!!!! Congratulations.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Hmmmm, hunger signals being messed up. I hadn't really thought too much about that. I have a lot of fat cells, and I also have gastroparesis which tends to mess with hunger signals anyway, though I've been pretty symptom free for over a year.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    thanks!

So question do you guys think its water weight, I mean, I think my first 8 lbs lost just from going primal was water weight. So is this additional 6lbs actual fat loss?
    Probably some of it's water weight. How it works with diets is that at the beginning you lose "phantom weight", part of which is water weight. As weight loss slows down, you continue to lose, but it is fat. It is not all water weight if you can keep it off.

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Could I have some advice as to whether I am doing this correctly please?

I started on Sunday as an UD and my last meal was at 10.30pm
    Monday was my DD where I had 688 calories this ended today (Tuesday)at 7.30am.

Today my last meal will be around 6.30pm.

Does that sound okay? How many hours do people normally complete on the down day.

(still waiting for my book....)

Quote Originally Posted by shrinkinglo View Post
    Does that sound okay? How many hours do people normally complete on the down day.
    I'm not sure there is a set way to do it. I haven't read the book either; I did read a bit on his website but don't remember if it said anything about that. So far, I haven't really done a set schedule. Some people find it easier to just have liquids throughout the day and then eat all their down day calories in one meal at the end of the day.

I haven't tried that yet. I have some coffee in the morning on the way to work, then I try to wait as long as possible to eat something. On a work day, I generally bring a small food meal (today just 2 hard boiled eggs) and then some broth for later in the day for my down day, then eat a smaller meal in the evening.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Leida~ so you aren't eating anything on your dd? See now that's heroic I could never, the only that keeps me sane is that I get at least 500 cals on my dd.

I held out till 6 pm for dinner and ate it in 7 minutes flat. I still feel hungry which is no good, ill have to drug myself tonight to get to sleep. Which I probably won't be able to now since my daughter slept for 4 hours this afternoon so she'll probably be up all night I chewed almost an entire pack of sugar free gum to make it through today. Today was not an easy dd.
    I planned not to, but broke down and ate during the class and then a couple of apples with a bit of yogurt when I came home, maybe 500 or so cals in total. But I dropped the weekend bulge, so it is good. I want to have a full day digestion break if I can once a week.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Comments on a bunch of different things

Wooo! I step away for a camping trip and come back to 11 pages to read. Y'all have been busy.

Shrinkinglo- that sounds perfect.

One of the aspects that is supposed to make ADF effective is the alternation between 'feast' and 'fast'. You do not want to eat low calorie too often on your Up Days, because too many low-calorie days IN A ROW, will signal your body that it needs to conserve energy. Regular 'feast' days will signal your body that there is plenty coming in, no need to worry. Then it is not reluctant to dip into the fat storage when it runs a little short on Down Days.

I'm doing a zero-calorie Down Day today. I was thinking about it yesterday, and decided I just did NOT want to bother with eating. (I thoroughly enjoyed my Up Day yesterday: Eggs Benedict with homemade Hollandaise from Mark's Sauce book, lox and cream cheese with capers, chicken thighs in a honey-butter-wine sauce. YUM!)

Anyone else who prefers not eating to eating a little on the Down Days?

On the weighing every day deal. I know it is a mass of fluctuations, but I love watching the numbers going (generally) downward. There was one week where my number from Saturday to Saturday was the SAME. If that was all I saw, I would be bummed. But looking at my chart, I can see the first Saturday was a low dip, and then after a little jump, the numbers went steadily downward, until a spike upward on the second Saturday(which was followed by a sharp dip the next day). It helps me keep in mind that this is a TREND.

But of course, that view is harder when you only have a few days worth of data to look at. I heard of someone who got her husband to write down her weight while she looked away, and she didn't look at the data until after a month. Don't know if I would have the chops for that, though! Too curious!

I got a copy of 'Eat, Fast, and Live Longer' yesterday. Read it in one sitting. It covers basically the same thing as the documentary. I would have liked to see a little more heft, but I gather they were trying to get SOMETHING into print after the wild success of the tv show. He does have an interesting comment toward the end. His wife thought he was losing weight too quickly and wanted him to maintain for a while, but at print time, he was starting up again, and was going to blog about it at wwwDOTthefastdietDOTcoDOTuk. I have not checked it out yet, but I am planning to this morning.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One of the aspects that is supposed to make ADF effective is the alternation between 'feast' and 'fast'. You do not want to eat low calorie too often on your Up Days, because too many low-calorie days IN A ROW, will signal your body that it needs to conserve energy. Regular 'feast' days will signal your body that there is plenty coming in, no need to worry. Then it is not reluctant to dip into the fat storage when it runs a little short on Down Days.
    Makes sense, but with a low carb nutrient-dense diet, I wonder if the number of calories needed is less than the BMR calculators? I definitely eat to satiety on my ud, but there is no way I will overeat in order to meet some arbitrary number. Not meaning to argue--but my past experience with regular IF shows me that the appetite reduction of fasting works for me, without any significant reduction in metabolic rate--perhaps because I keep active?

Anyone else who prefers not eating to eating a little on the Down Days?
    I'm tempted to try this, now that I am feeling more in the "groove."