Page 31 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 31

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    oh man, I just read a study not too long ago that proved that it was not dietary fiber that makes you go. But I cannot remember for sure what does. I want to say fat. I will have to see if I can find it and put a link in. I do remember that by increasing fiber you simply increase the amount of stool but not necessarily move it along.

I will say that the quantity of waste is smaller, probably because the intake is smaller. I dunno, maybe you are using more of it.

You could try to use a stool to raise your knees while you go (sort of replicate a squatting position). That is supposed to help.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I had this problem when I first went primal. It did get better but wasn't every day. I'm starting to think it's not necessary to go every day, though that is was CW says. I am hoping after this big UD- two full meals- breakfast and dinner that maybe................. I don't think I've over shot my calories by any means just bad on the carb intake. Probably had more like 65-75 on the last two UD rather than my normal 30 and under. Damn you potatoes, being so good.

I'm probably being too hard on myself. Weight loss was just so easy last month, and now I've hit a hiccup. I think I am ready to flush all my short term (ie weekly monthly) goals away and just go with what happens. My next (no particular time point) big goal is to hit 250. It seems so close, yet so far away at this point.

Regardless, I am going to continue with ADF as I do really enjoy the routine. I do think it will help me reach my goals long term.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Found an interesting post on the SparkPeople JUDDD thread that I found useful, because I have not read the book.. I bolded the pertinent bits:

For the new members who see those of us who do fasting, please do not think that it's required. It's a tool we use to help us break plateau's or lose quickly an unexpected weight gain. Doing the 500 down day will adjust your body to lower calories and more control over food.

It says in the book on page 244 that the high number is only to get the number of calories we need on the down day.
    (but then he gives 500 as the down day calories.) It says it's absolutely (his words) not necessary to eat that amount on the up days. He says to eat only until satisfied. Satisfied is not the same as full, it's more like eating a meal of proper portions. (See my blog on portions) The calculator is more to set the down days or higher if you want to just maintain. Like 50% to maintain on. I have to use the 500 or less or I can't even maintain. Think about it, you're trying to lose weight, if you're satisfied with a smaller amount on the up days, that's normal..If your tummy is shrinking, that's a good thing.
    \
    This is what I have been doing and it is working really well.

Like I said to Demuralist, I may be an exception, since I don't have much to lose, but if you aren't losing, it may be worth ignoring the numbers from the website for your ud (and eating to satiety), and just using the dd number.

Im not using any numbers. I eat until satisfied on up days and only milk in coffee on down days. I have a basic idea of the calories im consuming on up days. Im just struggling because I decided to go on a potato binge.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Im not using any numbers. I eat until satisfied on up days and only milk in coffee on down days. I have a basic idea of the calories im consuming on up days. Im just struggling because I decided to go on a potato binge.
    Cool! BTW, my post was not directed at anyone, just a follow-up to an earlier post by Demuralist.

Nope- it's cool. Just sharing. I cannot be bothered to go by a number, count, weigh (food) etc. Takes all the fun out of eating good food. At my core I am still a foodie.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Yep, on the LCF thread I was reading they were pointing out the "outdated" information in the book and that was one of the things they pointed out. They essentially said that their experience was that not eating to ud potential tended to cause a stall. They lean more toward eating more rather than eating less.

For me, in my heart, I agree with eating to satisfaction. However if I was any good at that I don't think I would be 100 pounds overweight right now!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    For me, in my heart, I agree with eating to satisfaction. However if I was any good at that I don't think I would be 100 pounds overweight right now!
    Just my fwiw, don't sell yourself too short now If you were like me, BEFORE I was eating all crap that was not filling nor nutritious and some say addicting. My body had no choice but to scream and crave for more, hoping to find some sort of vitamins it could use. Now that I am feeding it good stuff, I can get full on way less. (I still count calories, I am just saying it might be possible that I could do okay w/o counting)
    Last edited by gopintos; 04-09-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post

Preach. I need guidelines to keep me under control, give me an inch and I take a mile. So I need to count, weigh and measure unfortunately.

Guys ,ADF is miserable .........but my god does it work! 219.2 this morning! That's 6.2 lbs since I started on Thursday! I haven't seen the 2teens in 3 years! I feel like my goal of 215 this month might actually be reachable!

I'm kinda sad ill be trying to concieve this month ,now that I'm finally seeing progress! I can see a conversation with my husband" babe, um..... Can we try next month instead.......?" Lol! No we've been putting it off for 3 years ,ill try this month but if I dont succeed I won't be too upset cause ill get another month to try to get this weight off!

Ud for me and I'm glad, yesterday was rough!
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    That's fantastic, Veronica!