Page 25 of 159 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 25

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks guys - that makes me feel happier

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I just read this. I want to make sure you know that my "Eat Real Food" comment on the EMF thread was not aimed at you. It was about people using BPCs etc. to try and reach their fat percentages. I think liquids on a DD for an ADF program is a very viable idea.
    thanks, not to worry, I didn't take it to be aimed at me. I figured you might have been talking about adding the BPC instead of eating food. I also thought about using whey instead of real protein. I do still on occasion use whey, but can't figure out for the life of me why it isn't considered a processed food?

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrinkinglo View Post
    Thanks guys - that makes me feel happier
    watch though the forums do warn of stalls if you consistently eat too low, if it happens push yourself up to the top, again according to the experienced ones from the JUDDD forum.

Paleobird Guest
    Welp, it happened again. My weight goes up after a DD and down after a UD. Hmm. Starts to make me think the proponents of eating larger quantities all the time may be on to something after all. Hmmm.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Welp, it happened again. My weight goes up after a DD and down after a UD. Hmm. Starts to make me think the proponents of eating larger quantities all the time may be on to something after all. Hmmm.
    Can you expand on this?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Can you expand on this?
    There was a thread about "women who eat a ton without gaining" recently that quoted the work of some blogger of other (whose name escapes me, <anybody?>). His main contention is that you have to feed yourself regularly enough to "convince your body that the famine is over". The theory being that, if the body perceives chronic food scarcity, it will hold onto every last calorie.

I'm not sure if I buy that or not. Just pondering.

ETA: It also may have something to do with the stage one is in wrt the weight loss journey. Perhaps because I am only working on the last "vanity" ten lbs, this famine mode might kick in more for me. Just thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There was a thread about "women who eat a ton without gaining" recently that quoted the work of some blogger of other (whose name escapes me, <anybody?>). His main contention is that you have to feed yourself regularly enough to "convince your body that the famine is over". The theory being that, if the body perceives chronic food scarcity, it will hold onto every last calorie.

I think what you need is to feed your body an excess periodically. That's exactly what happens with alternate day fasting, carb refeeding, and other ways of eating like that.

I had a protein & fat feast this past week that lasted 2 days. Madly craving protein, I easily ate triple my normal food on the first day, and somewhat more than normal the second. I was careful not to consume excess carbs (I have a refeed coming up on Tuesday). I lost weight. I haven't been this light in probably 25 years. I have never been lean like this before in my life.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 04-06-2013 at 05:28 PM.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    I think in the doco Michael Mosely stated that fasting actually increases your metabolism on non-fast days. Could be a combo of this + perhaps drinking more water on fast days?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think what you need is to feed your body an excess periodically. That's exactly what happens with alternate day fasting, carb refeeding, and other ways of eating like that.
    I definitely agree with the principle of mixing things up a bit but I just thought it was odd that my weight is consistently the opposite of what I am consuming the day before.

Perhaps an Eat Stop Eat protocol a la Brad Pilon would be helpful. It's basically five days eating, two days fasting per week but it's real fasting not just a reduced intake.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

ETA: It also may have something to do with the stage one is in wrt the weight loss journey. Perhaps because I am only working on the last "vanity" ten lbs, this famine mode might kick in more for me. Just thinking out loud here.

Oh yeah, I saw that thread. With it's 23456 pages. Not going to read it Interesting theory though. I lose every down day and stay the same or drop an ounce or two after every up day. I don't like the consistency of this though. Seems too... systematic... regimented. I'm thinking about dashing ADF on weekends. Now, I don't mean smashing food all weekend, but, you know, just eating normally.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.