Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 2

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Hey,
    Coincidently I just decided yesterday to give IF another go. Last time I tried it didn't do anything for me, but I also wasn't properly medicated for my thyroid at that point, and continued to restrict on non-fasting days, so really it wasn't about the fast but more about just trying to cut more calories.

However this time I am just going to start with 2 days of fasting a week, along the lines of the 5:2 diet plan. My motivation is more that I am sick of sticking to x calories every day (i know, I shouldn't count, but I have thyroid issues and in my experience I have to count), so I like the idea of having more freedom on the non-fast days, and only cutting back two days. I'm interested to see how people go on this JUDD protocol though, may be an option if I don't see results on the 5:2.

Lucy

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Otzi- there IS a potato thread on the JUDDD thread of the lowcarbfriends forum!

Okay, so here is my personal info:
    Female, 48, 5'8".
    I started on March 5th, so I've just completed my 10th down day.
    In that time I have gone from 202lbs to 193. (This does include my normal loss during my cycle, so not as impressive as it might seem, but still, a nice amount.)
    My calorie ranges are 2300Up/420Down, but I am NOT tracking my calories on Up Days, just trying to eat normally(primal, low-carb).
    Once I get my health issue under control, I am planning to fast on Down Days. Right now I am sticking to the 420 limit, consuming mostly yogurt.
    My Honey has joined me in this (we are both very interested in the SIRT1 action), and he just completed his 4th Down Day.
    Yesterday I experienced the burst of energy and 'wiredness' that the Down Days are supposed to eventually produce. Got a lot done and felt great.
    Glad to see others are interested. I think this style of dieting(yes, dieting) fits in very well with primal eating,although if you read Dr. Johnson's book, you will find his dietary recommendations are VERY CW.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Welcome to all who come to give and get support for their version of alternate day. There is a thread open to those who want to argue merits but that is not this thread. Thanks Paleobird.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I did JUDDD for just over a year to lose my final 100 lbs. I did it because I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid with what my endo thinks is also a "genetically slow metabolism." I maintain on very low calories, and need to be even lower (<1000) to lose. That was difficult on a daily basis, but the alternate days worked well. I ate 400 DDs and 1400 UDs to start, and later went to 350 DDs (according to the JUDDD calculator).

Even now when I find my weight creeping up a couple of pounds, I'll do at least 2 DDs a week to get things back under control.

In maintenance, I cycle calories more informally, but I still find it helps.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    wowowow! Thanks emmie! That is so helpful and inspiring. And congrats on your weight loss!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Otzi- there IS a potato thread on the JUDDD thread of the lowcarbfriends forum!
    interesting. Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I did JUDDD for just over a year to lose my final 100 lbs. I did it because I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid with what my endo thinks is also a "genetically slow metabolism." I maintain on very low calories, and need to be even lower (<1000) to lose. That was difficult on a daily basis, but the alternate days worked well. I ate 400 DDs and 1400 UDs to start, and later went to 350 DDs (according to the JUDDD calculator).

Even now when I find my weight creeping up a couple of pounds, I'll do at least 2 DDs a week to get things back under control.

In maintenance, I cycle calories more informally, but I still find it helps.
    Thanks for sharing. I dont know what I need to do. I am supposedly not pre-menie, and had thyroid checked a few weeks ago, and supposedly it is okay. Low cal, low carb, low fat, high fat (not necessarily all at the same time) calorie/carb cycling, but I just cant find my groove back.

I thought maybe I was too low in calories, so tried going up a little since about the first of the year, but still under BMR but gained about 10lb. So I started doing tators yesterday, but then I have dinner (fish and salad) But I could see doing it every other day, tators for a DD. I just really hated the thought that I needed to go under 1200 to lose. But maybe that was the trouble and 1200-1300 was too high instead of being too low. ugghhh I just really don't know. I just know I have ended up with about an 8lbs loss in a year of primal. An entire year.

Anyways, good read, enjoying the info. Something for me to think about. Thanks

Oh I noticed the resveratrol. I have some, maybe I should get back into that habit.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Emmie- It is great to hear from someone who has done this long-term and had success with it. Do you have a journal, where we could read the details? Were you primal during your JUDDD loss?

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Emmie- It is great to hear from someone who has done this long-term and had success with it. Do you have a journal, where we could read the details? Were you primal during your JUDDD loss?
    Here is a Success Story from a guy who had great long-term success doing alternate-day fasting, by-the-book but also in more and less strict versions at times. And anyway it's a really good read if you haven't seen it before.

100 Days of Change – My Transformation Story | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    Last edited by sjmc; 03-26-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: um you might want the actual link too haha

Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast