Page 17 of 159 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 17

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Today was my Up Day and I ate quite a bit. 3 eggs, 4 pieces of bacon, half an avocado for brunch, dinner was 2 lamb chops, broccoli and brussels sprouts in butter with an entire 83% Lucienne's dark chocolate bar and an oz of macadamia nuts. I also had coffee with an oz of cream twice. Definitely a splurge day!

I don't even know how many calories but I definitely am going to be needing my DD tomorrow! I'm going to play it by ear as to whether or not to fast. I'd like to but I'm still on TOM and while fasting is usually effortless TOM really seems to interfere with that.

Val, I love liver and put it in almost anything made with ground beef. I eat at least 1/2 lb a week on Dr's orders as I'm dealing with anemia from bleeding for six months straight due to the depo shot and Endometriosis. Meat loaf is really good with it, spaghetti sauce over zucchini noodles, and you can add as much or as little as you want until you become accustomed to the taste. Pate is a really easy way to eat it and I like it sauteed in ghee, caramelized onions, and mushrooms over mashed cauliflower. Yum!! If you find the taste too strong try soaking it in buttermilk. Just drain the milk and rinse the slices off if you don't do dairy. My Mom did that for us as kids and we loved it. Of course she fried it in whole wheat flour but at least it got us used to eating liver!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there. Those first few Down Days are the hardest. My third one left me whining and annoyed. But all of a sudden, the fourth one was easy. I DO think that eating a little is harder than fasting, but I made it through, anyhow!

The HABIT of eating--don't know how long it will take for ignoring that to become easy. Yesterday I was coming back from a meeting. I was NOT hungry. But my first thought on coming through the door was, 'I'll sit down and eat something.' I think I use eating as a transition activity too often.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    +1^

Me too! I use eating in a variety of ways but only minisulely as it should be used, lol. That's what I'm hoping to fix. My down day went pretty well. I was still over my calories a bit though. I'm also still up that half pound, but I haven't been regular in the bathroom department since Saturday, so I'm sure that's part of it.

Go figure, today is my up day and when I woke up I wasn't hungry. I contemplated just fasting until I WAS hungry, and I probably should have, but had a raw coconut macaroon, then my usual commuter mug of coffee (decaf this week) with HWC on the way to work.
    Last edited by 252dlp; 04-02-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: fix typo

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday was my up day. My meals were pretty healthy. I ate some (read: a bunch) of candy junk from Easter. But overall I felt it was good. I am doing my down day today, this time I am not going to do the 500 calories. It just makes it too hard. But I will be sure to drink plenty of water.
    The habit of eating is a really interesting phenomena. It's mind boggling when you think you need to eat, but when you stop and actually listen you realize that you don't want/need it after all.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm making primal cheesecake and pork carnitas this morning, to have for our Up Day dinner tonight. One thing about only eating every other day- you want to make it count!

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Up day today. Not sure what to eat. I dashed two pounds of the three pounds of water weight from yesterdays down day.
    I enjoy weighing myself everyday on adf. Actually, in general. I like to track how things move throughout the days.

Is anyone actually enjoying adf so far?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It's working well. I am seeing my belly fat shrink and feeling my appetite reduce, yay!

I need to focus on staying hydrated, but otherwise am feeling great! Keeping it relatively low carb and nutrient-dense, makes my dd easy.

No counting or weighing here, which makes it really low stress for me.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Is anyone actually enjoying adf so far?
    Sort of. I'm not enjoying the down days yet, but I think I may actually get to that place. I've only done two down days, but so far both were manageable, and I'm figuring out that I CAN make it through the day on less food, lol.

I AM enjoying my up days. I'm appreciating what I eat so much more than before. And, much to my surprise, I am not overeating on my up days.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Enjoying? HUMMMMM.............. I'd have to say I'm enjoying doing something different. A change from the Eat More Fat mentality - which I'm still doing, but with less emphasis. I honestly didn't adhere to it closely enough to see if it would really work for my weight loss efforts. I wonder how long it takes the body to become "fat adapted"??? I've been doing the HFLC thing for probably 6 months. No weight loss. But, is my body now using fat as fuel? Purhaps if I feed it LESS fat, it will turn to its own fat stores for fuel now?

Now - I'm just eating and counting - but not forcing the heavy on the fat thing. Especially on down day - because, with only 500 calories - I can have more FOOD as in protein and veggies, if I keep the fat count lower. I could easily eat 500 calories in butter alone on a given day! I mean, 2 TB in my morning eggs and there goes 1/2 my alloted calories for the day. So, on down day, I do low fat - think VOLUMN! Yesterday I had turkey and dark chocolate.

I've decided for the first week I'm going to do 5 days of very low calorie - then eat normal over the weekend. I just feel the need to purge a bit. I might continue with the very low calorie for a second week as well. I'm sure our bodies were designed to go through periods of famine, when food was scarce and days of hunger were very normal. No matter which camp you're in (evolution or creation) both sides would have had times when there was no food to be had for days on end. Caveman would have had times when the hunting was going badly and the winters were long. Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden of Eden and forced to fend for themselves, toiling over bad soil and dry conditions -- so either side of the fence would have suffered times of hunger and want. If Sabine can do a 100% four day fast............ I can do five days of calorie deprivation ............. right?

So, today I have planned salmon and roasted veggies for dinner. Hot tea through out the day, maybe some broth. It's 8:30 am, and I'm already very hungry - so today might be a tough one. UGH.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is awesome 252! Here is to hoping by your 3rd or 4th down day you'll find it easier and more enjoyable.

I just feel like I have finally found my groove. I tried EMF which was fine, but I really had to work at it. I tried balancing macros- too much work. I don't feel like this is much work. I don't have to think about it. Ya know? A lifestyle, as far as eating goes, shouldnt tax me mentally. I shouldnt have to add, subtract and "balance." This... One day I dont eat, one day I eat primally. Doesnt matter what it is. One day it might be all veg the next up day, all meat. Fits my busy life perfectly.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.